What's new

Rank the B&M Hyper coasters

Matt N

CF Legend
I've only ever ridden one B&M hyper:
  1. Mako
That was an easy ranking! However, Mako still stands as my number 1 coaster out of 42 ridden for many different reasons, including its smoothness, its airtime and its general awesomeness! This ride is outstanding, and it well and truly blew me away when I first rode it, and every time I rode it, for that matter! On my first ride, I was sat in 2nd row with a pretty loose lap bar, and the airtime was mind blowing! I got pulled over that drop like I never have been on a coaster before! It was crazy! For the whole ride, it just felt as though it was trying to winch you out of your seat in every single element, and it was awesome! I didn't even know the trim was there until I saw people talk about it after my trip to Orlando! I felt the same on all 3 rides I had on the coaster while I was in Orlando in August 2016; I managed to get rides in row 2, row 6 and row 7. I don't personally feel that there is a "best seat" with this ride; it was just as fantastic in all the seats I sat in! It really makes me excited to ride other B&M hypers in the future if Mako is anything to go by! However, the general internet consensus seems to be that this is one of the weaker B&M hypers out there, but I'd personally say it's a ride that divides opinion. Some people, such as Taylor Bybee from Coaster Studios and CF's own @Sanchezmran and @Serena amongst others, say that it is the strongest B&M hyper they've done, whereas others, such as Shawn Sanbrooke from Theme Park Worldwide and The Legend from In The Loop amongst others, say that it's the weakest B&M hyper they've done, so Mako really is a marmite ride! One person even said that Big One at BPB had stronger airtime than Mako, which if that's true, makes me very excited for August! Most reviews of Big One seem to slate it for its lack of airtime, however. Some people have also referred to Mako as rough, and Robb Alvey says that the ride has quite a rattle now, so I may have to reride Mako in the future to see if my opinion changes. One thing's for sure, however; I adored Mako when I rode it in its opening year, and it still sits there at number 1 in my eyes! It makes me really excited to ride some of the other fantastic B&M hypers out there!
P.S. Sorry for bumping the thread. Also, sorry for dropping members' names in this post.

Peet

Giga Poster
One person even said that Big One at BPB had stronger airtime than Mako
I can tell you they were wrong, and I haven't even been on Mako! The Big One is iconic (sorry everyone for using that word again) and really good fun, a great ride in its own way, but not an airtime machine.
I like your enthusiasm!

And for what it's worth, which is very little:
1. Shambhala
2. Silver Star

streetmagix

Mega Poster
I really don't understand the whole 'Mako has no airtime'. I damn near got ripped out of my seat on the first big camelback! Maybe they changed the wheels or something after opening? All the reports seem to stem from when it first opened.

I would say:

1. Mako
2. Shambhala
3. Silverstar
4. Hollywood Dream: The Ride

Silverstar is a funny one. During the summer season last year I was so disappointed, it would have been around 7th or 8th on this list of 4 coasters. Then I rode it during the winter season, it was cold (7c so just warm enough for it to run), rainy and grey. Silverstar was blasting around the circuit, ejector airtime everywhere. The helix was so forceful I started to grey out. I'm back in a few weeks, if it's running that well again then it'll probably be 2nd to Mako.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
One thing I can say for Mako is of all the B&M hypers I’ve been on, Mako’s ride ops were the most relaxed about pushing down restraints — which meant I could give myself ample room — which meant I was flying far out of my seat on every hill.

Mako isn’t my favorite B&M hyper — that would be Fury — but it had the most consistently great airtime.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
P.S. Sorry for bumping the thread. Also, sorry for dropping members' names in this post.

Has anyone ever told you that you apologise too much?
Bump threads, drop names, write long posts... go for it, kid, it's all good! :)

1. Behemoth for me. Love the layout, just an endless line of gigantic camelbacks, one after the other, boom, boom, boom. Awesome! And unlike Nitro, which has the upwards helix into the MCBR, Behemoth has the much more exciting downwards, toilet bowl helix-of-death which comes after the brake run... and it's hilarious!
Behemoth is also the only one I've ridden with the 'stadium' style seating, giving riders sooo much more freedom of movement. Love it!

2. Leviathan, very close second place. Front row is simply fantastic. That first drop is obscene, and on the back row it's nothing short of biblical. And the speed - my God, the thing motors. But it doesn't quite have the ludicrous amounts of sustained airtime as its sibling on the other side of the park, so has to take 2nd place.

3. Silver Star. My first B&M hyper. I remember it being very good at the time, but that was 12 years ago. Could have gone to sh*t since then for all I know.

4. Apollo's Chariot. Pretty decent, but not particularly memorable for some reason. It was alright.

5. Nitro. Layout, length, location... all fine, but I must have ridden the 'bad' train, in the 'bad' seat, on a bad day, at a bad time or sumat, cos it rattled like a bitch all the way round, on all 3 rides I had. Totally off-putting and ruined the ride for me. :(

That's my lot, but Diamondback and Raging Bull coming soon. :)

Snoo

The Legend
I really don't understand the whole 'Mako has no airtime'. I damn near got ripped out of my seat on the first big camelback! Maybe they changed the wheels or something after opening? All the reports seem to stem from when it first opened.

I would say:

1. Mako
2. Shambhala
3. Silverstar
4. Hollywood Dream: The Ride

Silverstar is a funny one. During the summer season last year I was so disappointed, it would have been around 7th or 8th on this list of 4 coasters. Then I rode it during the winter season, it was cold (7c so just warm enough for it to run), rainy and grey. Silverstar was blasting around the circuit, ejector airtime everywhere. The helix was so forceful I started to grey out. I'm back in a few weeks, if it's running that well again then it'll probably be 2nd to Mako.

Quite the opposite for Mako, I've heard nothing but rave reviews across the board for that ride. I usually ignore "fresh after opening" reviews as they can be hot takes that are usually just that, hot garbage. I let a number of people get on to for a consensus opinion.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Since its been 3 years... I'll update mine to add Fury and Mako <3

1 Fury 325 Carowinds
2 Apollo's Chariot Busch Gardens Williamsburg
3 Leviathan Canada's Wonderland
4 Mako SeaWorld Orlando
5 Goliath Six Flags Over Georgia
6 Behemoth Canada's Wonderland
7 Diamondback Kings Island
8 Goliath La Ronde
9 Nitro Six Flags Great Adventure
10 Raging Bull Six Flags Great America
11 Intimidator Carowinds

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Yeah Mako is class I absolutely loved it.

Is there such thing as a bad B&M hyper? I mean even if we had one of the lower ranked ones in the UK it would still be most peoples no.1 surely?

I’ve heard people say say Silver Star is boring but it’s still an air time filled 200 footer (albeit over a car park).

Matt N

CF Legend
I can tell you they were wrong, and I haven't even been on Mako! The Big One is iconic (sorry everyone for using that word again) and really good fun, a great ride in its own way, but not an airtime machine.
I like your enthusiasm!
Thank you! I kind of had a feeling that that would be the case, as the vast majority of Big One reviews massively criticise the ride due to its lack of airtime, amongst other factors. I'll see for myself in August, though! Mako is just an airtime machine, though!
Has anyone ever told you that you apologise too much?
Bump threads, drop names, write long posts... go for it, kid, it's all good! :)
Thanks! I apologise because I often worry that my posts will offend people or get removed by mods or something.
Quite the opposite for Mako, I've heard nothing but rave reviews across the board for that ride. I usually ignore "fresh after opening" reviews as they can be hot takes that are usually just that, hot garbage. I let a number of people get on to for a consensus opinion.
Out of interest, do you mean that the reviews for Mako have gotten progressively better since opening?

Well, my personal conclusion is that Mako is a fantastic, smooth, forceful ride with outstanding airtime (the best and most consistent airtime I've ever experienced, as a matter of fact) that definitely deserves its place at the top of my coaster list! Let's just say that it's one of only two rides where I came to a conclusion about ranking the second I hit the brake run (the other ride where I instantly came to a conclusion was my present lowest ranked roller coaster, Colossus at Thorpe Park). As I think I said above, Mako makes me really excited to ride the other B&M hyper and giga coasters in the world!

Snoo

The Legend
Out of interest, do you mean that the reviews for Mako have gotten progressively better since opening?

Yep! The first few I saw were kinda mum on it, but those tended to be hardcore enthusiasts and/or people who aren't ENORMOUS fans of B&Ms. However, as more and more people have been on it and the ride, you see the overall median feeling on the ride to be overwhelmingly positive. You could say the exact same thing is going on with Icon at BPB right now as those first few days and POVs were lame tbh but a lot of people seem to be warming to the ride quite well.

Matt N

CF Legend
Yep! The first few I saw were kinda mum on it, but those tended to be hardcore enthusiasts and/or people who aren't ENORMOUS fans of B&Ms. However, as more and more people have been on it and the ride, you see the overall median feeling on the ride to be overwhelmingly positive. You could say the exact same thing is going on with Icon at BPB right now as those first few days and POVs were lame tbh but a lot of people seem to be warming to the ride quite well.
Ah right. Thanks @Snoo! For what it's worth, my first ride on Mako was in August 2016 (on 23rd August 2016, to be exact!) and I loved every second of it, as you've probably guessed by now!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Yep! The first few I saw were kinda mum on it, but those tended to be hardcore enthusiasts and/or people who aren't ENORMOUS fans of B&Ms.
I was on the second ever public train! (would have been on *the first* but I wanted row one... so I waited) and I loved it from my first ride. I was also there when Aobb Rlvey got yelled at for his camera glasses and after that, they made EVERYONE remove their glasses before riding... because the park had asked nobody to film on the ride, since it was under soft-opening still............. but someone had to be first to post a POV...(He was on the first train) and suddenly an entire website was saying the ride was "alright"because of that... LUL

Hutch

Strata Poster
Is there such thing as a bad B&M hyper?
Yes Diamondback and Nitro
Nah, Diamondback and Nitro are great stuff. Both have excellent airtime and Nitro's helix is powerful. Yeah Diamondback has a slight rattle at the bottom of the first couple hills but it's not a huge drawback.

I haven't done Raging Bull, but that looks like the only bad one out there. Layout looks meh, and the one big airtime hill has is trimmed.

I was also there when Aobb Rlvey got yelled at for his camera glasses and after that, they made EVERYONE remove their glasses before riding... because the park had asked nobody to film on the ride, since it was under soft-opening still............. but someone had to be first to post a POV...(He was on the first train) and suddenly an entire website was saying the ride was "alright"because of that... LUL
If that's the case, that's hilarious. What a character.

Mako is amazing though. Someone mentioned Seaworld doesn't staple you in and that probably helps why it's so good. Some of the staff didn't even push the clamshell at all for me, only lift it to make sure it's locked.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Yes Diamondback and Nitro
Bad compared to the other hypers or just bad in general?

I was on the second ever public train! (would have been on *the first* but I wanted row one... so I waited) and I loved it from my first ride. I was also there when Aobb Rlvey got yelled at for his camera glasses and after that, they made EVERYONE remove their glasses before riding... because the park had asked nobody to film on the ride, since it was under soft-opening still............. but someone had to be first to post a POV...(He was on the first train) and suddenly an entire website was saying the ride was "alright"because of that... LUL
Did he call the ride op an obnoxious asshole and block them?

DelPiero

Strata Poster
1 - Fury 325 - Duh, easily the best B&M hyper out there, the others are quite good but this really is exceptional. Some tasty floater as expected but this actually has ejector, direction changes and speed, glorious speed.
2 - Nitro - I didn't experience major rattling which I've heard about so my rides were full of floater airtime through the whole layout, with the brilliantly forceful helix breaking it up. Love this ride, especially at night.
3 - Silver Star - Similar to Nitro with a lot of floater but missing the forceful helix. Not a huge fan of the final S turns, but it's still fab.
4 - Shambhala - My rides on this weren't great, except for the last 2 rides of the night, and even they weren't exceptional. Next time I go hopefully it will be warmer and run like it should, but it really doesn't like the cold it seems.
5 - Intimidator - Any seat other than the front is a very poor ride. Front is good, nearly as good as Silver Star, plenty of floater all over the place, but ANY other row it's garbage, hardly any weightlessness at all. Don't get the fuss tbh and hence is near the bottom of the list.
6 - Raging Bull - Ghastly. Awful layout, a sapping trim and a grabbing MCBR. That's without even mentioning the disgusting rattle this thing has on train 1. It nearly made me throw up from the rattling and jolting at the bottom of every drop. One of the worst B&Ms in existence, eeeeeew.