What's new

What are you reading?

vermilionguy

Roller Poster
I just got done reading "Into Thin Air". Its a true story about an expedition to climb Mt. Everest in 1996 that goes horrifically wrong. The second half of the book is so tragic its almost difficult to finish but I still recommend it to anyone that loves outdoor adventure sports especially climbing.

kimahri

CF Legend
I Finished Watchmen, loved it! Now I'm looking for V for Vendetta.

while that happens

I'M READING A MANGA T_T

Uzumaki.

It's quite narsty and creepy so far. some on cut their figertips off and some one else twisted him self into a barrel.

Edit:- 16:47 and I've finished Uzumaki...

Well that was disturbing and creepy.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I'm reading The Great Gatsby, it's not too bad actually, I can't see how it's one of the best books of all time, it seems a bit gossipy ans scandalous to me.

I'm also reading Postcards by Annie Proulx. It's a bit boring me and annoyingly sexist, I know that's reflecting the time it's written in but it's annoying.

BetaKitten

Mega Poster
I'm still on Ulysses.... Lord knows when i was last in here and posted that....

I started it.... got halfway and had to take it back to the Library...
Then never went back.... Ended up buying it at the start of this year so i can take my time over it.... So far i'm further than i got last time.... It's a suprisingly enjoyable book....

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I feel all low-brow posting this after Lucy :p

Anyway, Needful Things by Stephen King.

I used to love this book in my youth. Obviously I have developed taste in the mean time.

This is clearly when King is going through his worse period. Poorly written, shallow characters and not much in the way of story. I think pretty much most things from this point were dross, with the exception of The Green Mile (can anyone think of a blindingly good King book after about 1992?)

I think I loved it the first time as it rounded off the Castle Rock stories he'd been pumping out that I'd been following (Castle Rock is a town in Maine King uses as a back drop for a lot of his books and stories).

However, I'm still dragged into it, but I hate myself for enjoying it - it really is poor stuff. Been years since I read too.

For those interested (I'm thinking due to the simplicity of writing and plot, Taylor :p ) - it's about a new shop that opens in Castle Rock. The proprietor seems to have something that everyone needs in their heart, and the price in dollars is cheap, but the cost of your soul may be considerably higher ;)

Ben

CF Legend
furie said:
can anyone think of a blindingly good King book after about 1992?

Nope.

Apart from The Green Mile, the last decent book he wrote was The Tommyknockers in 1988.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Misery, The Dark Half and Dolores Claiborne are all okay to good.

Desperation is okay too, and I liked the way he doubled it up with the Bachman book The Regulators.

But yeah, pretty sucky otherwise.

Actually, Insomnia is okay...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So was Tommy Knockers according the Bibliography I read. I didn't know which was actually released first (I read Tommy Knockers first :p )

Lord of the Flies

Uh, well I finally finished it, and the ending was definitely superior than the first two-thirds of the book, but it's still massively overrated.

7/10

Piggy < 3

SFMMMan

Mega Poster
^ I agree. The ending is good, the rest of the book was a bore.

I'm currently reading Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment, and this is my second time reading the series.

It's a fantastic series, I highly reccommend it.

I'm nearly done Catcher in the Rye

It's very good, and I like it far more than most of the other books I've had to read for school, but the book seems to have no point, and is more of like, a diary than a book.

Very good though, 8/10 so far.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Topics Unstuck
As part of an attempt to make the forums a little more diverse and interesting, we've unstuck the "collective" topics.

Feel free to keep using them, but also feel free to post individual topics if you think they will be of particular interest to other users.

For instance, a big film like Star Trek probably deserves its own topic, rather being lumped with the Films topic.

It's just a case of using a bit of common sense, and making the topics interesting.

The big topics are still around for the trivialities, but we'd like people to make more use of their brains and personalities (big mistake, I know :p ).

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
I read a couple of Stephen King books recently. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Misery. Both good. I also tried Rose Madder and enjoyed it until she went inside the painting and then it just got boring so I gave up.

Not sure what to read now. Possibly Johnny Cash's autobiography?