What's new

What are you reading?

davidm

Strata Poster
Anathem - Neal Stephenson

HARD work, but very very good.

(his Baroque Cycle (3 books) is perhaps the best thing I've EVER read)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Got a bunch of books for Christmas. First one I read was Män som hatar kvinnor (Original title) by Stieg Larsson. It's a Swedish crime book, and it's not bad at all. I enjoyed reading it, and it was never boring. Just interesting. I think it's been translated to English, but I can't be asked to check.

Second, I picked up The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa. It's the epic tale about the wealthiest duck on Earth, as well as the richest person in fiction, according to Forbes. After having read Donald Duck comics for thirteen years, I was almost crying at times when I read it. So many refernces, internal gags and jokes, old stories continued and explained (what happened the day after the events on Bear Mountain?), and the story of all the characters, all with Rosa's own notes and comments.
It starts when Scrooge's father takes him to Castle McDuck, showing him the clan castle in a state of disrepair, showing him the remains of the once mighty clan and telling tales he of ancestors he has to live up to. The day after, the no.1 Dime is earned, the start of the mighty McDuck empire.
Poor Scrooge leaves Scotland for America only thirteen years old, chasing luck to earn money for his family. And after some time, he receives nicknames such as "The Master of Mississippi", "The Terror of Transvaal", "the Skipper of Cutty Sark", and, after one of his rivals taunts him with the death of his mother, "the King of Klondike". The work of so many persons, from Disney himself to Carl Barks, Tony Strobl and countess others, carefully wowen together.
It's one of the best comic books I've ever read. I strongly recommend spending ten or so years reading Donald Duck classics and then start on this. Or just start.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I read Kerrang! for ages and then realised it was a noob mag =] The gigs they advertise are always like, too late to get tickets for. Stupid Kerrang....

Aerith

Mega Poster
nadroJ said:
I read Kerrang! for ages and then realised it was a noob mag =] The gigs they advertise are always like, too late to get tickets for. Stupid Kerrang....

Yeah i noticed that to, it really pisses me off.

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
I am still a devoted reader. I have a ****ing massive stack of them at home lol ^

I am reading the sequel to Stephanie Meyer's Twilight. I want to say it is called New Moon but I'm not sure. Anyway, so far so good.

Error

Strata Poster
^I'd put it down, it's a really, REALLY poor excuse for a book...

I'm working on reading Death of a Salesman, and yes I realize it's not a true book but a play. It's required text for a class, so I need to finish it all tonight.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pokemaniac said:
First one I read was Män som hatar kvinnor (Original title) by Stieg Larsson. It's a Swedish crime book, and it's not bad at all. I enjoyed reading it, and it was never boring.

I bought it on your review, and was about forty pages in, it was quite interesting... Then I realised I couldn't understand Swedish and had just been making it all up... Ho hum...

So I moved back to Imajica by Clive Barker. Best. Book. Ever. Life doesn't get any better than when you're reading it (haha, looked in my copy and it's signed, I'd forgotten about that).

Erm, the synopsis just doesn't do it justice. It's all about three people whose lives are linked in a mysterious way. Two have no memories beyond about ten years, the other is an assassin.

The assassin is hired to kill one of the other two (the girl) by her ex-husband. He changes his mind, and knowing nobody else who is shady enough to stop the assassination, he then hires her ex-lover to stop it. The three meet and start wheels in motion which open up secret societies and massive plots, twists and fights across dimensions.

It's a huge book (now split into two parts I believe) and features some of the grossest horror, most explicit carnal sex scenes and brilliant visions ever to adorn the pages of any book in history. The characters are all screwed up by their pasts and fighting to try and work out just WTF is going on. You love and hate them through the book, often at the same time. It's just delicious.

Anyway, just read it - now... Come back in three weeks when you've finish it :)

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
Error said:
^I'd put it down, it's a really, REALLY poor excuse for a book...

I'm working on reading Death of a Salesman, and yes I realize it's not a true book but a play. It's required text for a class, so I need to finish it all tonight.

I am actually enjoying it. Now that Edward Cullen has pissed off for a bit it's different from the 1st one. I will finish it tonight then get the next one after college tomorow.

tks

Strata Poster
I think for the first time ever I can participate here!

Bill Bryson: Down Under.

I love this guys books, and his childhood memoirs had me rolling in fits of laughter on the train once, and this book is just as funny. It's about his travels across Australia, the wierd and wonderful places, people and lack thereof in one of the strangest countries/continents in the world. Quite apt considering i'll be there in 10 weeks. :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Was in Asda last night and the have The Hellbound Heart - Clive Barker for a POUND!!!

Just go and buy it - it's worth it just for the first couple of chapters of Imajica it has at the end (plus it's a good novella, and better than this Saw crap everyone keeps on about - not that there's a Saw fan in here because if you like Saw, chances are you're not clever enough to read anything other than maybe Dr Who books :p ).

Aerith

Mega Poster
I saw the film of twilight, which was crap btw, now i am reading the book to ompare the 2, and the film is so crap compared to the book!

Ollie

CF Legend
A friend in college is currently reading the novel of American Psycho. She let me read a chapter and all I can say is wow! It goes into so much sick detail about the murders and sex scenes and it's very very graphic even though it's just words on a page. I'm going to see if I can borrow the whole book afterwards as it's meant to be really good. :)

Ben

CF Legend
As an attempt to distract myself from reading Les Misérables, I read The Catcher in the Rye over the weekend.

It's fantastic. It just taps into a sense of isolation and a fear of growing up which I'm sure everyone faces at some point. A fear of losing that childhood innocence in a World like this... The book is so stylistically wonderful as well, absolutely dripping with symbolism and humor. The characters aren't really people you should like, but they're very much ones you can identify with. Sure, Holden is a bit of a git, but I couldn't count how many times I thought "you're right". I didn't think it was really doing a lot until the last few chapters. I thought "yes, this is stylistically wonderful, but what's it saying, where's this going?". Answered wonderfully and so symbolically by the Carousel part.

Wonderful. True literature. 10/10.

10ryansmith

Roller Poster
I am reading all of Dale Brown's books on Patrick Mclanahan. I have done eight out of fourteen books. I am now on Air Battle Force, about half way through.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I am currently reading Book Of The New Sun by Gene Wolfe. It's fantasic. 1960s Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi/Fantasy, it's like the original take on that genre. It's also a nice twist (and this isn't a spoiler) that the lead character is a torturer, a traditional baddy.