What's new

What are you reading?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I thought I'd start a similar topic to "Now Showing" and "Music Recomendations".

Obviously, in the days of PSP and Youtube the response to this topic could be pretty minimal, but just on the off chance; What are you reading?

I'm about halfway through Running With Scissors at the moment. It's really funny, but really quite disturbing to think about how f''d up some people's lives are.

kir

Hyper Poster
Just today I finished a totally awesome, twisted, confusing, compelling and addictive book.

Invisible Monsters, written by Chuck Palahniuk, the guy who wrote Fight Club. If anyone has seen Fight Club you'll know what the twists are like. Invisible Monsters is full of them, and it's amazing. I'm waiting for it to be turned into a film any year soon!

A

Anonymous

I am reading a script for my drama class' lates production. It's great! Basically a school trip for a weekend at some nature center in the countryside and two of the characters are starting crap with the local gamekeeper. He is complaining, saying how all city children are the same, then needs help from the school and they help him after all the crap he gave them. A tale of redemption and the moral is that you shouldn't class people by their age or sex. And I'm the gamekeeper! W00t! :D

Sorry if I described it in too much detail, just exited about performing it.

Sky

Mega Poster
Well, I'm not reading anything at the moment, but the other day I just finished The Tenth Circle, by Jodi Picoult. It was a really interesting read, about a girl who is supposedly raped, but then the accused rapist commits suicide and it turns into a murder mystery basically. I highly recommend it, along with another book by her called My Sister's Keeper (which is about a girl getting medical emancipation).

Snoo

The Legend
Does CF count? I don't think i've actually READ something in years... poor me.. :lol:

Mark

Strata Poster
I'm reading a book called Map of Bones by James Rollins

From the Jacket

The bestselling master of astonishing adventure James Rollins delivers his most relentlessly exciting page-turner to date -- a gripping and explosive novel of an ancient conspiracy to create a terrifying new world order out of the ashes of modern civilization.

The crime is inhumanly cruel with horrific consequences both unthinkable and inevitable. During a service at a cathedral in Cologne, Germany, a band of armed intruders dressed in monks' robes unleash a nightmare of blood and terror, ruthlessly gunning down worshippers and clergy alike. The killers haven't come for the church's gold and valuable artwork, but for a priceless treasure secreted within: the preserved bones of the Three Magi who once came to pay homage to a newborn savior. As they flee the carnage they have wrought, they carry a prize that could reshape the world.

The Vatican is in turmoil, and Lieutenant Rachel Verona of Rome's carabinieri is assigned to lead the investigation. But no ordinary police organization alone can deal with the bizarre theft and massacre, and SIGMA Force -- an elite covert arm of the U.S. Defense Department -- is called in under the command of Grayson Pierce. New to SIGMA, Pierce assembles a crack team of scientific and Special Forces operatives to unravel the mystery of the stolen bones, and together they set out on a twisting trail through a labyrinth of clues and dark revelations that carry them to the sites of the Seven Wonders of the World -- and to the doorstep of the mystical and terrifying Dragon Court.

An ancient, secret fraternity of alchemists and assassins, the master-adepts of the Dragon Court have plans for the sacred remains that will alter the future of humankind in devastating ways that only the maddest of zealots could desire -- and they will let nothing and no one stand in their way. Suddenly Pierce, Verona, and the SIGMA team are the hunted as well as the hunters, forced to use every skill they possess to survive as they follow the bones to the ultimate confrontation between darkness and light -- in a lost place of history where science and religion will unite to unleash a horror not seen since the beginning of time.

A masterful novel that combines the exhilarating mysticism of The Da Vinci Code with the pulse-pounding action of a Tom Clancy thriller, James Rollins's Map of Bones is destined to be a modern classic that will stand among the very best adventure tales ever written.

So far it is reading as a very amazing book and I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Dan Browns type of stuff.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm... What to expect from... "the toddler years".

It's pretty poor actually (don't by them Hales). I tend to switch between reading "self-help" books like this (and "how to be a great Dad :D ), and decent horror.

I'll post when I start to read something more interesting! :lol:

Will

Strata Poster
My Mum's just given me 'A Spot of Bother' by Mark Haddon (author of The Curious Incident of the dog and the unneccessarily long title), with the promise that two thirds of it are very good, but I may want to skimread the middle :p

Sounds a bit like the first actually, which I read after Scott and Cathy recommended it to me... good, except that the author tended to get carried away and describe mathematical formulae and the interior of underground stations in excessive detail. Makes me glad I'm not quite that messed up!

Mark

Strata Poster
Are you not Will?

I read Rule Of Four earlier this year which was a very good book although very complex in language and form and took a very long time to actually get into it.

The one I read after that was called Seven Ancient Wonders (which can be picked up in Tesco for ?3.70 odd ~ admiteddly, it was the only reason I bought it, that and the description sounded good). It was actually a very very good book and captured the race against time aspect of the story so very well. Definately recommended for those who like an Indiana Jones style adventure, mixed with a bit of Dan Brown's speculative form and a bit of classic fist cuff violence.

A

Anonymous

I am currently reading:

The Sound of Laughter
by Peter Kay

Its actuley better than i expected!

Sixth Sence

Roller Poster
Eragon, I thought it would be a pretty lame book, but I find it rather gripping. The book I've read in the last week was Choclolat. I love books I have hundreds of them all over my house.

Lain

Giga Poster
Nothing at the moment, although I am looking forward to Harry Potter 7.

I've also been tempted to buy A Brief History of Time recently aswell...

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
I'm not reading anything (of my own will) but in school we are reading Stone Cold. I haven't actually finished a novel all the way through before.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Well, outside of school Nuts and Fast Car :p Nah, i think the next book i'll read is Harry Potter 7 :p But before that, i'll probs re-read my Tony Hawk Autobiography.

Schoolwise, i'm currently reading Cold Mountainm, Chuacer: A Millers Tale, The Tempest. Great fun!

Richie

Hyper Poster
The last book I read was Harry Potter 6 and the next book I will read will be Harry potter 7. They're the only books I read outside of school.

In school we are currently doing Of Mice And Men in English, which is really crap.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Aww bless Richie :p I actually enjoyed Of Mice And Men, was quite an interesting read if you really read between the line's.

c&r

Mega Poster
Well I'm meant to be reading The Picture of Dorian Gray, but I seem to have lost it - probably floating around somewhere.

I just finished the Catcher in the Rye, which is quite good if you don't listen to the hype about it; I was expecting some utterly mind-blowing book just under the par of Nineteen Eighty-Four and A Clockwork Orange, but, it really isn't. Expect nothing and you'll enjoy it, expect too much and the first half of the book is totally ruined for you.

danthecoasterman

Mega Poster
Harry Potter: The Half Blood Prince, about 250 pages in and it's great. I don't normally read though but I have to for this 'sponsered read' at school...