What's new

What are you reading?

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness.

Holy ****ing Jesus. I've never been so close to crying in a book for ages. Bought it off a reccomendation from mark, and I'm certainly not regretting it.

Really complex book, lots of things you can extract from it: love, hate, regret, growing up, all that jazz. Characters are really deep and the writing style is deceptively complicated.

Thoroughly splendid read, and a mawhoosive reccomendation to all.

9/10

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^Awesome isn't it :p. Would make a stunning film,

I'm 2/3 through the sequel, The Ask and the Answer. It has a different structure so doesn't quite propel you the way Knife does, but it's still a bloody good read :D. Really engaged with the characters now too.

Ben

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I'm nearly done Catcher in the Rye

It's very good, and I like it far more than most of the other books I've had to read for school, but the book seems to have no point, and is more of like, a diary than a book.

Very good though, 8/10 so far.

That's an awesome book! Get to the end, it all makes wonderful and symbolic sense. It's fantastic. Really, really fantastic.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I couldn't sleep last night, so shuffled through my unread book collection and came to About a Boy. I loved the film and was looking forward to reading it.

It was a really good book, easy read and just as good as the film, if better. I managed to finish it in just over 3 hours, which is quite good for me.

So 8.5/10

I think I might read another book tonight...

nealbie

CF Legend
Yeah, but I'm trying to read it whilst watching Hannah Montana!

You of all people can understand how distracting that is Ciall :wink:

Gangster4Life

Mega Poster
I'm reading Bret Hitman Hart, it's very good book it's about his wrestling career, betrayal, and his family tragedies. I give it 10/10

Hardcore Dairies by Mick Foley. I give it 7/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm reading the Mr A. Mazing Monster books at the moment.

I had the full set when I was a kid and used to obsessively read them and draw pictures from them.

I bought the set for Maxi-Minor_Furie's birthday, and I'm reading him one a day until it's his actual birthday (that was he has a countdown to his birthday, and he gets a new story every night which means he's not smothered with too much on one day).

Brilliant books and a must if you have kids under 8!
gulper_off.jpg

http://www.amazingmonsters.com/index.html

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Does nobody read???

Well, in the two months since this, I've been making my way through the last three "Dark Tower" books by Stephen King.

It's a very odd series. Essentially, it starts with the last Gunslinger - a breed of professional knights in an alternative dimension.

Their world holds the Dark Tower, which is the point from which all of existence is held in place, held up by invisible, but powerful beams that lock across the world.

The beams have been breaking for some time and Roland - the Gunslinger sets out to cross his world to try and fix the Dark Tower and save all existence.

Through the books, he passes into our world and other alternative worlds. The series as a whole is a mix of The Good, the bad and the Ugly, Lord of the Rings and everything Stephen King has written before. I don't know how many pages the entire seven books run into, but I think it's around 4,000.

Some of it is brilliant, some of it is a real shore. The brilliant bits seem to have been written when King was much younger and essentially wanted to write a fantasy western. The books that heavily lean on the idea of an alternative Wild West with cowboy knights is brilliant. However, surrounding all of this (particularly in later books) is King's decline into self pity, self analysis and sense of mortality.

The last three books were written (mostly) after his accident which almost left him dead at the side of the road. This features heavily and massively influences the latter side of the story. It becomes less "A fistful of Dollars" and more "A fistful of self-pity". It's a shame, as the characters are likeable, and you've been through a couple of thousand pages of adventures with them by this point.

The last book picks up the pace though about a quarter of the way through. It finds its footing again to a degree, but compared to the exciting Western it starts off at (and is interspersed with) it's peters into a bit of a rambling squib towards the "climax".

However!

If you enjoy King's work, it is actually a must to read. It ties up so many of his previous books, and gives you an idea into some of the more bizzare things that happen in them. If you know you King lore, then you this will answer a lot of questions. There are returns of old characters from other work, and a lot of direct background telling from some of his books (he focusses for a while on Derry for instance). We even find out finally who the turtle is!

So, if you're a King fan, sorry, but you will have to suffer your way through the series. I borrowed the last three books and the first from the library. Books two and four I picked up over time from Oxfam. Definitely worth the library approach as it's not worth buying all seven (IMO) as they're ****ing expensive).

mrclam

Giga Poster
Does nobody read???

Yes.. they read books about wrestlers!!! :roll:

Im currently very busy bee at work - working my backside off to get this game finished.. So i'm reading "light reading" books.

Currently half way through the "Time Travellers Wife" which i initially avoided because it sounded girly.. But after a recommendation from a few friends i backed down and started to read.

Half way through.. well it is quite girly.. But unfortunately there's no graphic descriptions of any of the good raunchy stuff.. bah.

So it's a bit dull. I like the idea.. but it's dragging a bit.. im struggling to get motivation to keep reading.

I'd imagine the film is very much like the snore fest which was benjami button from half reading the book...

For those who have read it, and want to tell me it's about to get better or something.. i'm at the bit where he's spending xmas with her family for the first time

Slayed

Hyper Poster
I tried Iain Bank's A Song For Stone but got bored surprisingly quickly (enjoyed his other non-SciFi stuff), so I succumbed....and got the new Dan Brown, The Lost Symbol, from Asda for £5.

Two-thirds through so far, and after 6 years I expected him to come up with a more complicated plot! There's a decent enough thriller in there but it's buried under 6 years of researched facts instead, which (just like the film adaptations) you end up being told over and over again. I suppose if you're as successful as he is, you can tell your editor to shove off!

I'm still reading and I'm enjoying it (mostly), but unless it goes nuts in the last third it's going to be rather anticlimactic.

A

Anonymous

To Kill a Mockingbird, because I have not read that book for years.
Black Beauty is also there, as well as a book on Rene Magritte.

Ollie

CF Legend
I haven't read it yet but today my Derren Brown: Tricks of the Mind book arrived from Amazon. Looking forward to reading it as he reveals in it the secret to some of the stuff he does and teaches you how to do magic and hypnotise people etc. :)
It was quite cheap as well at about a fiver for a 400 page book.

jokerman

Giga Poster
I'm part way through reading The Ambler Warning by Robert Ludlum.

He's the man who wrote the books in the Bourne series that the films were based on. I only found that out after I started reading this book.

The Ambler Warning is about a man who escapes from a mental institute for ex spies/intelligence agents/people who worked for the government who could give away secrets. But the thing is, he isn't mad... or is he?

mrclam

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
I haven't read it yet but today my Derren Brown: Tricks of the Mind book arrived from Amazon. Looking forward to reading it as he reveals in it the secret to some of the stuff he does and teaches you how to do magic and hypnotise people etc. :)

*huge groan*