What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this happens to be the longest moment of airtime on any coaster out there :oops:
Well that’s a wild reach.

Do you think it’ll be taken very slowly then or something? Why would it give a longer moment of airtime compared to another hill of similar height?

Also, have you seen the 500ft high airtime hill that’s being built on falcons flight?

It’ll be an extreme moment of airtime (although it looks like it might border onto hangtime rather than airtime), but it takes the element at speed, and will be over very quickly.

the_coaster_l

Roller Poster
I

Do you think it’ll be taken very slowly then or something? Why would it give a longer moment of airtime compared to another hill of similar height?

Also, have you seen the 500ft high airtime hill that’s being built on falcons flight?

It’ll be an extreme moment of airtime (although it looks like it might border onto hangtime rather than airtime), but it takes the element at speed, and will be over very quickly.
it’ll be slow going through it as it’s so tall

ScottLann

Mega Poster

The first reason exactly, I don't think it'll fly through that element but will go through with enough speed to make it give some floater.

Because of how late the inversion comes on, I do think it'll be very sustained (more than your regular airtime hill). Just going off from experience like on the likes of Iron Gwazi's outer banked airtime hill.

I will likely be wrong, but definitely think it's going to be one of the longer airtime moments out there.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Balls of absolute steel on those cherry picker dudes. That thing looks so top heavy and unbalanced, you wouldn't catch me up there in a million years. 😮

INFERNOismybaby

Roller Poster
^ Agreed, couldn’t imagine the vertigo I’d feel. Just doing some research, and those things can reach up to 66m (216ft) which is insane, so props to these guys!

Anyway that element is beautiful, very aesthetically pleasing too if I must say! I genuinely cannot wait to see the rest go up now!

I’m very intrigued to see how much this beast will really change Thorpe Park along with the UK coaster industry in general.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Highlighted what has been done so far...

1698863833995.png

Having gone through the plans, the original scheme of construction said that the twisted overbank dive would be the last thing built. Obviously that's changed, but I don't think the time frames have.

Construction seems to be on track that; that section was scheduled to take about 3 weeks and took about 3 weeks. The rest of the supports/track is slated to take about 6-7 weeks.

If there's no setbacks/delays, and everything goes roughly to the original scheme of implementation, then the ride could be completed and ready by mid-March... 👀

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Any idea on the height of this element, out of interest?

As has been said, it's about 165ft/50m.

Just for reference, since I'm sure this will be asked sooner or later, the heights of the major elements of the ride - in order - are:

-Lift hill: 236ft / 72m
-Immelmann-like first inversion: 141ft / 43m
-Twisted outerbank dive: 165ft / 50m
-Stall loop-like inversion: 157ft / 48m

I think that first inversion / element post-drop will have some pretty cool whip / speed to it given the height difference.
Equally, that twisted outerbank dive will still have a lot of momentum, but be a bit more graceful.

FogZog

Mega Poster

Just for reference, since I'm sure this will be asked sooner or later, the heights of the major elements of the ride - in order - are:

I think that first inversion / element post-drop will have some pretty cool whip / speed to it given the height difference.
Equally, that twisted outerbank dive will still have a lot of momentum, but be a bit more graceful.
I keep seeing people call the first element an inversion and then some saying its not. Is it or isn’t it because it sure doesn’t look like one 🤷🏻‍♂️

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I keep seeing people call the first element an inversion and then some saying its not. Is it or isn’t it because it sure doesn’t look like one 🤷🏻‍♂️

Honestly, I don't know.

Looking at the official recreation from the name announcement, I guess it's more likely not:

I've just been referring to it as an inversion for ease. I can't think of any coaster which has an element nearly identical to it, which makes it harder to judge.

Think we need to get the protractors and the infamous CF inversion guide out to double check! 😂

CrashCoaster

CF Legend

There's something a miss here; you're stating that the dive loop is taller than the non-inverting Immelmann but in actuality, it isn't.

Georgie-M

Mega Poster

Meanwhile, the first drop of The Swarm, the second tallest thing at Thorpe right now after Stealth, is 127ft tall. That's nearly 40ft lower than this ride's "shortest" element! This thing is gonna completely tower over the rest of the park and I cannot wait to see it completed.

Matt N

CF Legend
I have to say, the banking on that outerbank looks a lot more extreme than I was anticipating; it banks quite sharply at the beginning, and the banking angle is a lot steeper than I was expecting!

That turn has to be one of the elements I’m most excited for; I think you could get some really sustained negative g’s there, and I reckon that the transition from the sideways float of the outerbank into the fast whip of the downward roll could provide a really interesting sensation!