What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The stall loop is hangtime not airtime, knew it wasn't gonna be that number

Thorpe said in the passholder group that this data has come from Mack and their "experts".

I expect the idea is more the time of experiencing negative g-force, although airtime rolls off the tongue easier. I expect this is a pretty common industry phrasing, based off other attraction claims for their total airtime.

Graeme

Roller Poster
For me, airtime is great because you're defying gravity. You can't get that exact feeling unless you're actually floating upwards away from the Earth. Hangtime, in my opinion, is not a great deal of fun, as it's the normal pull of gravity, just with you upside down. Call me crazy, but I'd much rather that was a dive loop than a dive stall. Either way, there's definitely loads of airtime on the non-inverting immelmann - looks like it's very strong for 2.2 seconds. It's the outerbank I can't get my head around - whether that's going to be more like airtime or hangtime.

jasone

Roller Poster
I have to admit that my inner monologue has been arguing about hangtime recently.

I kind of feel the same and i guess its down to personal preference.

For example i have Toutatis above Batman Gotham City escape purely for this reason (well, also cause of themeing too). I prefer the floaty stall on Toutatis and the rapid airtime hills on the launch. Batman GCE is amazing, but the stall is much more hangtime than floaty, and the first inversion is also much more hangtime than floaty. I actually just find hangtime a bit uncomfortable in most scenarios.

I'm hoping the stall on Hyperia is just floaty enough to make it feel a bit more comfortable than something like BGCE.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I have always kinda hated hangtime on most rides, Stan Checketts rides are awful (El Locos/sky swats/screaming squirrels would all be better as scrap metal). It’s not as bad on well designed lap bar coasters, or the snug wing coaster restraints, but it’s still not pleasant.

I think when a stall element gives hangtime, rather than weightlessness, it’s badly designed. Isn’t the whole point supposed to be that you’re upside down without feeling like you are? Wildfire does it perfectly, Toutatis was a bit disappointing as you still “hung down”.

InvertsAreMyJam

Mega Poster
I’ll admit I haven’t been on many coasters at all. So I’m not quite sure what hangtime feels like. But during the inversion om Cheetah Hunt, my body basically fell upside down and was stopped by the restraints. It wasn’t a very pleasant feeling. When I hear about hangtime that’s what I imagine it being.

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
I’ll admit I haven’t been on many coasters at all. So I’m not quite sure what hangtime feels like. But during the inversion om Cheetah Hunt, my body basically fell upside down and was stopped by the restraints. It wasn’t a very pleasant feeling. When I hear about hangtime that’s what I imagine it being.

Really? Because from what I remember Cheetah Hunt's only inversion was so quick that it barely felt like an inversion to me at all, but I only rode it once...after a couple beers lol

Hangtime, IMO, is more like where literally the only thing keeping you there is the restraint, like a sustained inverted track that we're seeing become a lot more common since RMC started doing it.

Good examples are Goliath @ SFGAmerica and Zadra @ Energylandia.

But a ride like Full Throttle @ SFMM actually has it too, because it almost feels like the train is going to come to a halt once you're upside down in that first loop, lol, but that is not quite as common.

InvertsAreMyJam

Mega Poster
Really? Because from what I remember Cheetah Hunt's only inversion was so quick that it barely felt like an inversion to me at all, but I only rode it once...after a couple beers lol

Hangtime, IMO, is more like where literally the only thing keeping you there is the restraint, like a sustained inverted track that we're seeing become a lot more common since RMC started doing it.

Good examples are Goliath @ SFGAmerica and Zadra @ Energylandia.

But a ride like Full Throttle @ SFMM actually has it too, because it almost feels like the train is going to come to a halt once you're upside down in that first loop, lol, but that is not quite as common.
Ah, that makes sense. But also strangely enough I remember Cheetah Hunt’s inversion being quite slow. But also I rode the first train of the day so maybe it wasn’t warmed up yet?