What's new

Rides that show potential to be insane but fall short?

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
I didn't like the SkyRush restraints and am glad they will be changed. The ride was too bumpy and jerky for me and did not live up to the hype. If it had been smoother it would definitely be top 5 material.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Have been changed.
I can get the painful...but bumpy? Jerky?
It was glass smooth, even from back. We all have different tolerances of pain but bumpy? I have no idea where you got that from

bmac

Giga Poster
Just picking rides from my top 9 woods and top 15 steels which you can see here. I've only been on 20 something woods so my top list looks like **** after #5. Anyways to the topic.

Grizzly @ King's Dominion: I rode this back when I was 6 waaaaaaay back in 1999. I remember it being fully wooded and just so much fun that I actually remembered a good part of it over 13 years later to where I rode it in April. A lot has happened in those 13 years. Hypersonic tore away all the trees on the Hurler side of the coaster and DinosAlive tore out a good chunk of other trees on the opposite side, totally retracting from the old, heavily wooded version I loved as a 6 year old. The ride is still a barrel of fun, but the lack of trees really cuts away at the sense of speed and detracts from the overall experience.

Comet @ Hersheypark: The second half of this definitely has more potential if the trim goes. A friend of mine said it used to compare to Phoenix in terms of air time. Having Skyrush to play with is actually a plus for excitement because it makes it feel like the ride is way tighter in terms of space than it actually is.

Skyrush @ Hersheypark: yeah this thing definitely is a world top 5 steel, there's no denying it. I'm very glad Intamin went with pseudo-lap bars instead of those horrid OTSRs but the padding is just ugly, and the new harnesses are barely helping from what I hear.

Maverick @ Cedar Point: Get rid of the OTSRs and you have a winner.

Intimidator 305 @ King's Dominion: Get rid of the OTSRs and that bunny hill trim and it would really bump this thing higher into my top 10.

Not on the list but deserve mention:

Millennium Force: If there was force after the first drop I wouldn't be talking about this.

Raptor @ Cedar Point: Needs more force, the inversions and twists look like they pack a punch but they don't.

Steel Force @ Dorney Park: Needs more air time, and for the MCBR to not trip on the second half.

Volcano @ King's Dominion: Needs more force in the launch(es) and also needs a big time cleaning and covering in the volcano itself.

Hellcat / J2 / Tsunami @ Clementon Park: Remove the trim and smooth it out, and it definitely will live up to its 2004 self.

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster
Mantis...after the diveloop it just gets worse every second. It looks cool and intense..but it's just too painful. I would love CP to put floorless trains on this ride if that was possible..then i think it would be a winner

bmac

Giga Poster
Your feet are supposed to support the weight of your body while riding, not your nuts...

TrevorBondi305

Mega Poster
Wait I305 falling short of being insane!? The ride has a crazy intense first turn, airtime filled first drop, INSANE ejector air over the second hill and throughout the twisties and bunny hill.....