What's new

Rides that show potential to be insane but fall short?

mcandersin

Roller Poster
I would say that Kanonen (The Canon) at Liseberg is one... Even a Vekoma launchcoaster is better than it and it is too rough and sometimes it does not feel like a real Intamin Launchcoaster!

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
For me, it has to be Nemesis. A lot of people say how good it is, and how it's possibly the best B&M inverted coaster - but I just don't see why! It's good, but nothing more than that. I love the design and theming of it, and the way it is different to most coasters of the same type, but I would much rather have a standard B&M inverted coaster like Montu. I have not ridden Nemesis in the front yet, which could change my opinion, but for now I feel it is forceless (apart from one or two moments) and over-hyped.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis I think is the epitome of over-hyping, but also how different a coaster can run and what a rider feels when on it.

I rode it yesterday and it was bland. I don't ride it often so I get the "full effect" when I do ride. This was back row too and it was really forceless (for Nemesis). I rode it at roughly the same time of day a couple of month's ago and it was really good - not its best, but still really good.

However, Minor_Furie was sat next to me and pulling into the station he said "wow, that was actually really good". He's always been a real "Nemesis is 'meh'" guy. I've heard this said a lot. Some people who hate Nemesis when I think it's running brilliantly hate it, and when I think it's running badly they love it.

The difference is in the forces. When Nemesis is running really well it's a constant pounding of high G that never gives up (when it's running really well, say late October at about 8:30 p.m. in a light drizzle) even the stall turn is powerful.

When it's running "badly", you get to experience a more gentle "flow" and there are little bits of floater here and there and lots of dead spots where you just look at the scenery.

If your body hates the high forces, then there's a chance you may like the slightly more gentle ride a "bad run" gives. It's horses for courses on that front.

If you do love the high-g though, then those stand out rides a few of us (those of us who rate it really highly generally) have had are truly mind blowing. I completely agree that the quality of the coaster shouldn't be put down to "one wet Thursday evening in late October" though so yes it's over-hyped on those grounds, but it can still manage to be a great coaster a lot of the time.

See Joey's "Variation" topic I guess to go into it further :lol:

tribar

Mega Poster
Millennium Force- I have a pretty extreme fear of heights so i start panicking when i get up there and after that HUGE LETDOWN
Fahrenheit- again its all in the lift

Millennium Force was the biggest one for me, so much hype, but it just didn't produce what I was hoping. It was fun but not amazing.

I don't get how MF has hype though; in fact, I think it's quite the opposite. I guess if we're talking back in the day when it first opened and maybe five years after that, but today it seems like nobody particularly likes it very much.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
The restraints on SkyRush are going to be changed, so why go on about them so much? The park knows that they need to be changed & have told Intamin to fix them. We all know that Intamin keeps doing this kind of thing when it comes to a new type of coaster.
Still I don't think this topic should be "Rides that show potential to be insane but fall short due to painful restraints?" or painful anything. SkyRush shows potential to be insane & is insane, Period!
I'll definitely go along with what's been said about Millennium Force, so much potential that just falls short of what could have been.
As far as Intimidator 305 - I've ridden every variation: original restraints, without trims on the lift hill & original first curve; original restraints, with trims on the lift hill & original first curve; new restraints, with trims on the lift hill & original first curve & new restraints, without trims on the lift hill & modified first curve.
The first variation was far & away the best in spite of the painful restraints, especially since the bite on the second hill (just before the station) trims was slight. However, when they moved those trims to the lift hill it might have killed the drop & the first curve through the first airtime hill, but it showed the full potential of the second half of the ride as the airtime on the second hill was much better than the first airtime hill was before or since & the rest of the ride was just fantastic. Then came the new modified cloth restraints, which got rid of any pain & made the ride even better. Finally they modified the curve at the bottom of the lift hill & moved the trims back to the second hill, which brought the coaster back to it's original first half goodness, but killed the second half of the ride again.
So to sum it up, Intimidator 305 takes the cake for me since I fully well know the full potential the coaster has to be not just insane, but perfect. All they need to do is move the trims off the second hill to return it to all it's full airtime glory & put the trims on the third hill (after the station) to make sure that the last quick transition is taken at the proper speed (which is all those trims are supposed to do).

kimahri

CF Legend
I305 is still insane, but in the horrible, unpleasent overpowering sense. Compaired to what it is now, I'd dispise it even more if it was running as originally built. Horrible ride.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Certainly The Swarm was its lack of speed and intensity, but that's nothing new for a latter-day B&M.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I don't get how MF has hype though; in fact, I think it's quite the opposite. I guess if we're talking back in the day when it first opened and maybe five years after that, but today it seems like nobody particularly likes it very much.
Which is why it still to this day always has the first or second longest queue in the park. :razz:

The GP still heavily enjoy the ride. E.G. Constantly receiving best coaster rating by the Golden Ticket Award. The award is a sham, but still carries clout over regular park goers.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
ECG said:
The restraints on SkyRush are going to be changed...
Word is that SkyRush is running with the new restraints & no more thigh pain (or any other pain for that matter). I'll be going there as soon as possible & let you know what's up.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Mike said:
I might say Wooden Coaster (/Mountain Flyer/Roller Coaster) at Knight Valley for this. Every photo of it makes it look like an incredibly awesome coaster, but it lacks the intensity that a lot of the other GCIs have, and the ride ops stapling you into the seat makes it lose any chance of having some airtime. It's still a very good ride, but disappointing that it wasn't better.

Thank **** someone feels the same. I thought I was going mad. I'm a huge GCI fan, but Knight Valley's is one of the most lacklustre examples out there. Add on to top the Chinese stapling and you get a very disappointingly ride, especially compared to the sexy looking thing alluded to in the construction photos.

I didn't think Skyrush was overrated at all. I went on it with my usual Intamin critics face and despite the painful restraints, thought it grabbed you by the balls and didn't let go till it spat you out. Much better than expected

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
ECG said:
ECG said:
The restraints on SkyRush are going to be changed...
Word is that SkyRush is running with the new restraints & no more thigh pain (or any other pain for that matter). I'll be going there as soon as possible & let you know what's up.

I went over this last weekend and I did notice a difference.
I had no issues with the ride to begin with but there was certainly an improvement.

Earlier, I had some pain on ride and the soreness lasted for maybe 30 seconds.
Now there was hardly any to none at all and no after soreness.
My friend who's a bit on the big side didn't really notice much of anything either.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
kimahri said:
The restraints weren't that bad to begin with you feeble thighed babies.

Finally someone who agrees.

Still, it has been improved so now they are even better.

gopats1479

Mega Poster
IMO, the original Mr. Freeze was the letdown coaster for me: partly because it was too short, partly because I had already ridden Batman a couple times. Good for Six Flags to recognize how to make the Mr. Freeze coasters insanely awesome and way more fun than the originals.