What's new

Rides that show potential to be insane but fall short?

Snoo

The Legend
Personally, Skyrush and Intimidator 305 are two rides which.. you can FEEL the awesome creeping up.. but something like restraints or a trim just take away the full rocket launch of sex that the ride could be. The rides are still good but not nearly as good as intended.

DISCUSS!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I305 & Skyrush are the big ones for me as well, for the aforementioned reasons. To a lesser degree, I'd say Great Bear also fits the bill. It does something a little different by putting a little helix after the climb but before the drop, then puts together a nice (albeit fairly vanilla) sequence of inversions, then after the zero-G roll... it just heads back to the station and throws in a random wing-over for the hell of it. How disappointing. Not that it would have necessarily been great if B&M had cared at all about doing something interesting with the second half of the coaster, but I doubt it would find itself ranked dead last of all the B&M inverts I've ridden (which is only 10, but still).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Balder. It constantly promises to be fantastic, but just ruins it every time. It's the Thorpe Park of rides - promises so much but every time you're about to have fun, it's cut short and ruined.

Treeis

Mega Poster
Air shot rides. I was terrified and excited to have my first ride on "Ice Blast" at Blackpool, but it didn't pack the punch I thought it would.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Did you ever get chance to ride Space Shot at Pleasureland? (which became Barnstormer @Loudoun). Now, that WAS intense.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Very true Lofty, and the small one at Pleasure Island in Cleethorpes is excellent as well (well I say excellent, I hated both of them, but that's because they pack such a punch).

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
Millennium Force, brilliant first drop and the first overbank is amazing for how wrong it feels to be so high up and tilted so far over and then it does a bunch of forceless stuff which is okay but not what it could have been.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
I'll say Th13teen actually. It was exciting when it first opened, but Intamin or Alton have trim-braked the crap out of it, and now it's dull as dishwater.

Such a shame.

kimahri

CF Legend
Skyrush's restraints are fine for me.

Uh, Wild Train at Parc st Paul was bragged about being reletivly insane but I felt it wasn't as bragged as I thought it would be. Formula 1 was suitably wild.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Ethan said:
^ And your personal opinion is?

From the Skyrush thread

"It's a shame too.. the epicness of the ride was just overshadowed TOO much by the pain in my thighs.

In my opinion, you shouldn't have to figure out ways to ride something to make it better. I guess thats why I didn't rank it up there like the rest of the guys on the trip."

Nic

Strata Poster
S:TE at SFMM was a massive let down. It's got all the ingredients for an awesome ride, but was just turdio. I'll be interested to see if going backwards improves it at all.

Hurakan Condor. Looks like it should be awesome, but just... isn't.

iSpeed was also a big one for me. It should have been a great ride, but those Intamin restraints on any launcher with actual corners are just evil <////3 Utterly vile.

Mike

Giga Poster
Nic said:
S:TE at SFMM was a massive let down. It's got all the ingredients for an awesome ride, but was just turdio. I'll be interested to see if going backwards improves it at all.

Superman and ToT are sooo much better with the backwards launch. Like, incomparably better.

I might say Wooden Coaster (/Mountain Flyer/Roller Coaster) at Knight Valley for this. Every photo of it makes it look like an incredibly awesome coaster, but it lacks the intensity that a lot of the other GCIs have, and the ride ops stapling you into the seat makes it lose any chance of having some airtime. It's still a very good ride, but disappointing that it wasn't better.