What's new

Project: Roller Coaster Updated

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Hopefully it will :)

I just made the campaigns display screen. A campaign is basically a set of scenarios. The game will come with 1 campaign, but others will be available for download (for free).

I'm also considering allowing custom theme tiles so you can import your own buildings and stuff into the game. Theme tiles consist of a variety of 32x32 pixel squares, which can be put together in any order to create theming. For example a tile set could include a roof tile, a window tile, a plain wall tile and a bottom of wall tile. You would be able to slot these all together next to each other to make a basic building. Hopefully allowing custom ones will allow for people to get creative!

Ollie

CF Legend
If you need anyone to test it before release... ;)

Can't wait for this. Looks good. And was good to meet you and talk about it on the Saw Media day.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
This game looks awesome :D I'm really looking forward to the release and spending hours making coasters :p

I've joined the website, become fans on Facebook and pressed 'Watch this topic for replies' oh here :p

I would also love to be a tester, if required.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Awesome, thanks ciallkennett!

I'll certainly pick some testers from this site but i haven't decided who yet!

Ollie

CF Legend
Well obviously someone you've met (me) ;)
Someone who's been on this site for a while (me) ;)
And someone who can't wait to play it (me) ;)

:p

But not people who have a username beginning in C and ending in T. :lol:

Have you got a date you're trying to get it done for? And rough how much % are you done on it now?

NickkyG

Mega Poster
It's so hard to say :(

I've spent days working on the main menu, it's nice and shiny. And i can proudly say it's better than the No Limits menu :D The game will come with 2 campaigns, an easy one for beginners and one which will require a little skill to complete. There's also some nice blank spots in the campaign list for 4 extra campaigns which will be free add ons. Each campaign can consist of up to 14 scenarios.

I'm hoping all the best scenarios will be created by the players though, with the full featured level editor :D Players who have purchased the game (cheap... £5?) will have the ability to publish levels. This means the level will be automatically uploaded to the online database, and people who have purchased the game can download and play the level and try to get the top score. They can also play it in sandbox mode with any coaster type they want.

Players who haven't purchased the game can play the main campaigns mode, but won't be able to play the custom build levels, nor submit their scores to the online database.

Ollie

CF Legend
I'll be willing to pay £5 for the extra stuff. How would you plan to get the money? Paypal etc.

And any menu is better than the NoLimits one lol. Just make sure the menus are shiny and well placed. Maybe have a couple of animated things on it as well and some cool sound effects/music.

Hope it's all going well so far.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Well, the menus aren't mind blowing, but it's the best i can do.

campaigns.png

The left list contains the campaigns currently installed, the second list is the scenarios in that campaign. The third area displays information about that scenario.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
There are three mascots to choose from.

Mr. Pembleton the balloon gives you more standard track to play with to get a longer coaster.

Chaingear the cog allows you to use more chain lift or launch track depending on the coaster type.

Candyfloss doesn't give you any benefit, but you can't get a platinum rating or any profile achievements unless you use him!

NickkyG

Mega Poster
*finally*

I've got the level editor complete, and that means i can actually upload pictures which look like game instead of just random coasters in the middle of nowhere! Hurray! One step closer to completion.

bnmmine.png

10 points to the poster who guesses which coaster i based that theming off!

Inverse

Hyper Poster
NickkyG said:
Candyfloss doesn't give you any benefit, but you can't get a platinum rating or any profile achievements unless you use him!

Candyfloss is a man?!

P.S: love the screen shot.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Apparently he is a man! I never really thought about it before. I just passed my driving test so thats one hassle out the way and i can focus more on P:RC.

The biggest update along with the level editor is that i've got block sections working, so you can throw more trains around the track instead of the original single train. Unfortunately this is rather processor intensive, so coaster types with long trains will have a max of three trains, or less on a slower pc. Eurofighters etc can have at least 8 or so if you plan the train nicely.

I think it's going to work like transport tycoon. The station acts like a depot and can hold all the trains at once. This is just to make things simpler for me.

In terms of speed:
My 3ghz Core2Duo e8400 machine can run 4 hyper coaster trains happily

A 1.6ghz little netbook can run 1 hyper coaster but kicks up a fuss when there are 2.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
NickkyG said:
10 points to the poster who guesses which coaster i based that theming off!

Saw? :D

Looks even more awesome now! I just wondered if the background image/horizon changes at all. Can it change per scenario or does it stay the same throughout the game?

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Well it started out as saw then kind of merged with mystery mine! Currently there is one backdrop but i will throw more out after the game is released to give it a bit more diversity.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Not sure about custom theming i'm afraid, it would take up a fair bit of database space online. It's possible but i dont think its very realistic for me at the moment.

People are more than welcome to draw official theme sets for the game though, if they pass my strict quality control!