What's new

Project: Roller Coaster Updated

NickkyG

Mega Poster
I started a new thread as the old one was getting a bit packed, so let that one sink to the bottom of the forum and use this fresh one.

Here is a reminder of what the game is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D534Z4f7hcA

Here's the current deal with Project: Roller Coaster. The base game will be free to download. This will include around 10 (nicely detailed) levels with a lot of replay value. When you complete these levels your score will be entered into an online high-scores table. So you can keep playing trying to beat everybody else!

An expansion will also be released. This will contain extra scenarios (for those who just can't get enough!). It will also have 'free build' mode where you can load up one of the levels and build what you want on it with no restrictions, you won't be able to score points in this mode, it's just for fun. There will also be a scenario editor to create your own levels from scratch. It will be possible to share these levels with your friends.

This expansion will have a small charge, say £5 ($10). I feel this price is exceptionally good value considering the time and entertainment the package will involve.

If you create an exceptionally good level i will provide the service (with a small £2.50 ($5) cost) of creating a high-score table for that level. The level will then be downloaded to everyones computer if they have the expansion, so almost everyone who has the expansion will have a new high-quality level and will be competing to get a really good score on it!

Please post your thoughts and views on what i've just posted. Do you think it's fair? Is the price alright? Would you simply expect the whole package for free as it isn't worth paying for?

A show of hands showing who would and who wouldn't purchase the expansion would be a big help, although i understand that you currently have no idea how the game actually feels to play.

jack.bell

Mega Poster
yeah i would probably purchase the additional pack but only if i like the first otherwise there would be no point in buying it. :lol:
any idea when the first is going to be realsed?
sounds good though.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
I'm glad someone replied! Thanks, and i appreciate it!

Hopefully the release will be before Christmas, and the additional pack will follow very shortly afterwards. More replies would be extremely welcome :)

A show of hands telling me who has Paypal would be very appreciated, or suggestions for alternative payment methods. Thanks!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I meant to reply :lol:

Yeah, a fiver for a decent game is a good price. I like the idea of essentially having it as a demo - this is a good place to market it as well :)

I can use paypal, and I think most other people do - much easiest way of doing stuff.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Yeah I will be definitly purchasing it and having a go. £5 sounds good to me and not too much to take a risk.

I would have to play the release version first before I would pay for and add on's or expansions.

Ollie

CF Legend
furie said:
I meant to reply :lol:

Yeah, a fiver for a decent game is a good price. I like the idea of essentially having it as a demo - this is a good place to market it as well :)

I can use paypal, and I think most other people do - much easiest way of doing stuff.

What he said. :p

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys! It's really encouraging, for those of you who wouldn't pay, don't be afraid to say! I'm just trying to get some numbers!

A

Anonymous

Looks quite fun, and at £5 for expansions, and the initial download being 'free', I don't think I can go wrong! :--D

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Thanks guys! The feedback was helpful.

Here's a quick update: the new interface and the new supports. The supports now connect to the track and the ground properly:

supports1.png

supports2.png

supports3.png

supports4.png

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It looks stunning. Simply stunning. That's all I'm able to say at the moment.

And you even have an undo button! That alone makes this superior to RCT3.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Thanks!

I'd love to say the Undo button makes it superior, but the way the game mechanics work you can only edit the track from the furthest point in the station, not halfway through. The undo button is effectively identical to the delete button on RCT as it removes segments from the track one at a time backwards.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Just a tiny update for those who are interested. I finally added twists AWAY from the camera so the train can perform zero-g roll like elements. This also means the inverted coaster may show up at some point, but probably not in the initial/standard release. It also looks like a third (and rather special) version of the game may be released, but for that i just have to keep my fingers crossed, i'll only explain what that is when its 100%.

zero-g.png

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Double post ><

But i'm sure you'd all like to see the Intamin and B&M coasters ^_^

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuDq5cpaRVg[/youtube]

Ollie

CF Legend
Wow. Looks really good.
I know this is really early to ask but are you planning on doing a sequel? As you broaden your knowledge in coding for games it can only improve on this fantastic version. :)
Can't wait for release and shall download as soon as it comes out. :D

NickkyG

Mega Poster
I am SO close to fixing a bug which has put me off for so long!

When the train doesn't make it over a hill and rolls back and forth in a valley, the cars sometimes slip apart from each other. The game doesn't use 'real' physics and its really annoying trying to figure out the cause! I've narrowed it down loads today, and hopefully will fix it tonight!