What's new

Project: Roller Coaster Updated

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
NickkyG said:
Well the paid features all require the internet, you can't download online levels, use an online high score table or upload custom levels without an internet connection :(

So you mean -

Once I've bought something and install it, I can use it offline?

NickkyG

Mega Poster
You will be able to use it offline, but you will need to be online to get it firstly. You won't be able to use the interactive features such as online high score etc. It is basically recommended to play while online to use all the features.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Oh then thats cool then, sorry, I misunderstood you :)

Just wondering because I may want to use it on my Macbook and the internet may not be available.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
I'm afraid the game will only be a for PC, so unless you have a Windows install on your Mac, you won't be able to play it :(

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Because a registration key is easily hacked/pirated, and i simply cannot afford to host all the game data when half the members aren't contributing.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Nearly there! (i said that last year too).

I'm just off to Thorpe Park for 'research'.

I'll be uploading some unique progress videos to facebook soon, they won't be on the youtube account. They'll show some of the new coaster types and the splashdown effects etc.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Good work :)
Enjoy Thorpe!

Why don't you get the product out now as it is, and off the addon stuff at a cost?
Just a suggestion, could make more moneys that way! :D

NickkyG

Mega Poster
I would but it's not finished :(

I still need to add most of the graphics, fix general bugs, create a menu, allow the level editor to interact with the main game mode seamlessly (to test levels), create all the server scripts for the online content and database stuffs. It's a lot of work but most of the game is finished!

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Ohhh I see. I thought the actual game was finished and you were adding cool bits to it. Sorry I jumped the gun on that, I'm just really excited :)

I swear to you, this looks like the next biggest addiction since RCT.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Uploaded a Youtube version which is nicer quality:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQxl254SV2I[/youtube]

NickkyG

Mega Poster
After months of experimenting... all the different methods of gameplay and scoring have failed to work too well :(

So, can anyone think of a really clever way to actually 'play' the game and score points etc?

If not, the game may end up being more of a simulator.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
NickkyG said:
After months of experimenting... all the different methods of gameplay and scoring have failed to work too well :(

So, can anyone think of a really clever way to actually 'play' the game and score points etc?

If not, the game may end up being more of a simulator.

Run challenges? Limit space, but you need x amount of inversions. Make a coaster which reaches x MPH. That kind of thing?

NickkyG

Mega Poster
That's how i ran it before, and it just didn't provide too much excitement or challenge :(

Creating a high speed was just a case of making the steepest possible lift for that coaster type and dropping the coaster down to the lowest point in the level. To get X inversions you can just blag it like colossus does and throw in 500 rolls.

I also tried a method where you have to collect "Score bubbles" by running the coaster through them at high speed or create airtime through the bubble, but that didn't provide too much challenge either :(

So i'm a bit stumped :(

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The thing is, it doesn't really matter. The challenges are there to introduce the various concepts of the game, and to get people used to how the design elements work. Each challenge complete opens up the next game feature kind of thing.

There have to be a lot of challenges like x amount of -ve G, don't go over 2G, etc, etc. If you could place obstacles in the way to hamper people just cheating the system, then it becomes a challenge.

For instance, to stop Colossus cheating, have that challenge at the point before you've let people have inlines?

I've not played the game, so I don't know really what to expect from it, but I've always considered it a fun kind of simulator, rather than a traditional game. So, I may be missing the point :lol: