What's new

Lightwater Valley, New rides in 2011 (see page 7)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm actually so sick of LWV. Will they just ****ing invest in something and stick with it or longer than a month, seriously.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think this is why park management keep information to themselves for so long to be honest. It stops you looking like a fool when everything changes.

Until the thing actually starts being built, you should assume it might not happen. Every park will go through the same process as LWV has, it's just that they keep quiet... Except for Alton and the Shrek thing, that was highly amusing!

So yeah, while it's nice that a park is actually keeping their fans abreast of things, it does mean that they're also kept abreast of your decision changes.

T0M

Hyper Poster
It is up for sale again. It is definitely NOT coming, nor is any other roller coaster next year.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
It's a shame to see LWV have backed out of adding an all-important looping coaster to their line-up, but I suppose if the ride they were considering wasn't particularly great, it may be for the best, provided that Lightwater hurry up and add a half decent looping coaster within the next couple of years.

I'll be interested to see what the park have bought and how they manage to integrate their new purchases. If they've managed to add one or two decent flat rides that I'll be able to enjoy, that'll be a great step forward. If they're all generic kiddie rides, or vomit inducing spin and spews, not so much. Here's hoping.

Whatever happens, the park does need to start investing in some decent rides. They have a great flagship coaster (The Ultimate) and a brilliant thrill flat ride (The Eagles Claw), but otherwise their line up is somewhat lacking, both in terms of ride quality and ride capacity. It sounds like the park has plans to head in the right direction, and it should only take a couple of solid rides (maybe one coaster, one flat) to push the park forward in the minds of a lot of people.

As Marc has already said, Twist and Shout would have been fantastic at Lightwater Valley. Schwarzkopf loopers are solid rides that are well loved by enthusiasts, go down well with the general public, and don't look too intimidating. Here's hoping that whatever the park eventuall installs will be of that sort of standard.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
As Marc has already said, Twist and Shout would have been fantastic at Lightwater Valley. Schwarzkopf loopers are solid rides that are well loved by enthusiasts, go down well with the general public, and don't look too intimidating. Here's hoping that whatever the park eventually installs will be of that sort of standard.

I suspect the fact that Schwarzkopf no longer exist mean we are unlikely to see something like Twist n Shout at a park like LWV, as they'd just have too much to lose if the ride failed. They're not cheap to run either, and remember that a park that largely runs all its rides on generators, that is always going to be significant. A shame, as a good Schwarzy looper is like little else, but in the scheme of things a themed area, something the park has always massively lacked (and hopefully something that can become the 'hub' that Ian suggested, as well as something that bolsters the 'stuff to do' count at the park).

The park definitely needs a decent coaster for 2012 though, With a theoretical budget of a million any suggestions?

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
They confirmed it via their Facebook and Twitter. Its going on a site between Ultimate and Raptor Attack. It is going to be called Whirlwind . Good move by them, plus the location is a good one!

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Although I tend to avoid Top Scans on account of them being excessively spinny, it's probably a probably good choice of ride, especially after the success of their rented model last year. Thumbs up from me.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Top scans are one of the few flats that I actually quite like! If they're run on a decent setting they can be great funn, but I worry that in a small park like Lightwater, it will be set to run on a boring setting.

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ To be honest, it tends to be the smaller parks than use the better settings with rides like that. The Beast @ Fantasy Island/Samurai @ Thorpe is a good example.

Its going on a site between Ultimate and Raptor Attack. It is going to be called Whirlwind . Good move by them, plus the location is a good one!

I dont know if I agree with that. Personally it is a good choice, there isn't that many of them about, and they are very thrilling, but Topscan's cost a lot of money, yet they wont even be able to plug it as a 'new ride'.

Also, whilst the location is alright, I feel the park doesn't balance out its attractions very well. There'll now be 3 major rides right next to each other, whilst the far end of the park bascially has nothing, apart from a Big Apple and kiddie drop tower.

SAW_gameover

Mega Poster
jokerman said:
Top scans are one of the few flats that I actually quite like! If they're run on a decent setting they can be great funn, but I worry that in a small park like Lightwater, it will be set to run on a boring setting.

Lightwater run it on a VERY intense setting.

We asked the Op to run it on maximum settings... It was Funnnnn :D

I'm not sure about this seasons model, but Top Buzz 2 from last year didn't have any programmed modes, just 2 dials, so the Op just had fun with it and ran it intense.

(Just incase anyone's interested, control panel from Whirlwind last year :))

DSCF3798.jpg

SAW_gameover

Mega Poster
Danzibarr said:
I'll say a month, before it moves to another part of the park and is advertised as a new ride.

Are you being sarcastic?

If not then, no it wont be. They're not going to advertise it as a new ride at all, and have built a permanent base for it on the grass area near Raptor Attack.

UK Park News said:
Today, Lightwater Valley have released their 2011 Brochure, outlining details of whats in store for the next season.

New for this year is Skeleton Cove, a Pirate themed area located on the site of the former Go-Karts. The area shall lay host to 5 brand new rides, previously located at the now closed Loudoun Castle.

The 5 new rides are:

* Skull Rock – Zamperla Regatta
* Pirate Swings – Mini Chair-o-Planes
* Powder Kegs – Huss Breakdance
* Flying Cutlass – Huss Swinging Ship
* Black Pearl – Inverting Ship

Along with these additions, a 6th ride shall be added further into the season. This shall be a Junior Pirate Ship, expected to debut under the name of ‘Wave Rider’.

As reported yesterday, Lightwater Valley have removed the Vintage Cars, to make room for an outdoor eating area; part of the re-themed Riviera.

The full 2011 brochure can be found over at Valley Mania.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
*bump*

A viral advert appeared on their YT today; http://t.co/88TDbD1

I like it because it doesn't take itself too seriously!

Expect a review from us on 9th April.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ha. I like it. Good way to use up remainder fog fluid from Halloween. It's quite a funny advert actually!

Martyn B

CF Legend
The area looks good to me, they've gone all out with the theming by the looks of things. Still not enough to get me back though.

One other thing, it would have been good if they had moved the Rapids to be included in Skeleton Cove, as it is basically just a bunch of average flat rides, not much variation really.

Still, better than nothing for a park that was lacking rides.