What's new

Lightwater Valley, New rides in 2011 (see page 7)

wakey1512

Roller Poster
The vekoma would have been a decent ride with a lick of paint and some sort of theming to remove the 'portable' look it has.. nevermind, still the ultimate.. i suppose..

T0M

Hyper Poster
^ I strongly agree, but at least one inverting rollercoaster will be coming under their five-year-plan, which will see over £1m spent per close season. You can bet your bottom dollar that the skate karts will not be there for much longer, and I think that's where we'll see a coaster eventually.

STC

Mega Poster
Tom G said:
^ I strongly agree, but at least one inverting rollercoaster will be coming under their five-year-plan, which will see over £1m spent per close season. You can bet your bottom dollar that the skate karts will not be there for much longer, and I think that's where we'll see a coaster eventually.
What 5 year plan? I follow LWV news quite closely, and have never heard of any such plan. When was it announced, and where? :)

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
What 5 year plan? I follow LWV news quite closely, and have never heard of any such plan. When was it announced, and where? Smile

The park announced it on Facebook, and it has started to bleed through in the park contributions on Valley mania (for anyone interested by the way, there is only a week left for people who want to contribute a ride review for the Lightwater Valley website, via Valley mania, and surely some of you have an opinion on having been raped by the Ultimate...).

It sounds like next year is likely to be the most significant arm of this five year plan, possibly with the secret project the park has hinted at for the area behind the Eagles Claw.

STC

Mega Poster
slappy mcguire said:
What 5 year plan? I follow LWV news quite closely, and have never heard of any such plan. When was it announced, and where? Smile

The park announced it on Facebook, and it has started to bleed through in the park contributions on Valley mania (for anyone interested by the way, there is only a week left for people who want to contribute a ride review for the Lightwater Valley website, via Valley mania, and surely some of you have an opinion on having been raped by the Ultimate...).

It sounds like next year is likely to be the most significant arm of this five year plan, possibly with the secret project the park has hinted at for the area behind the Eagles Claw.
I hate to feel like I'm spamming, but I still can find no trace of such a plan on their Facebook. Link?

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Lightwater Valley Theme Park We think so too - but it's still great to hear positive feedback! We're in the 2nd year of a major 5 year investment plan and, in combination with an open, honest and friendly communication policy, we're hoping to put the valley back on the map.
20 March at 12:47 · Like

From The facebook page amongst others, in answer to a post on the date listed.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ok, I'll apologise for being a tad slow on this but I have a good reason, which I'll explain in a mo.

LWV are currently in year 2 of a a 5 year plan. Year 1 was a £1.2 million investment (Rapids, Raptor, and the hiring of Whirlwind for the Frightwater event).

This year's plan is to improve customer experience and, of course, Skeleton Cove.

What the other three years are all about I don't know. It's the Ultimate's 21st birthday next year, so I'd imagine that'll come into play.

Nic and I are visiting LWV on Saturday for a sneaky preview of Skeleton Cove and for a chat with the marketing manger. We will bring you a full review with photos and a video. If you have any questions that you'd like us to ask, please post them here.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
Yes, I agree, what five year plan?

And you're only guessing about the Skate Karts being removed :|

Logical speculation, on which I would bet my life. The park isn't that very big and they've already sacrificed a popular attraction to build something new. I think they'd be more than willing to sacrifice something that is less popular but takes up a considerable amount of space.

For those that have missed it, talk of the five-year plan from the people that own Lightwater: http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yor ... nvestment/

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ Its not just to do with popular rides though. Cost is normally the biggest issue. Take the bottom end for example, not many rides down there, and a nice big area full of tall trees, which they can build up to with out it being an eye sore.

I'm not trying to guess either, I just dont think the skate karts is the most logical guess. And to bet your life on it? Well, thats upto you.

T0M

Hyper Poster
I think they'll be gone by 2014 at the latest and I think a rollercoaster of some kind will be in that position, that's all I'm saying! I don't KNOW anything and I haven't been told anything - speculation is part of this game!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Time and time again, I've heard the park say that the skate karts are popular. It's a unique attraction, too. I can't see them shifting it. They've got loads of space to fit another coaster. I really hope Skeleton Cove proves to be a success and it will encourage further investment.

Nic

Strata Poster
Yeah, I can't see the Skate Karts going any time soon. If one thing can be said of that park, its that space is not at a premium. The Skate Karts are popular and must cost bugger all to run, so I can't see a reason to remove them. Actually, that said, all it'd take is one fair size accident, and I bet they'd be ripped out faster than you could say High Visibility Jacket.

T0M

Hyper Poster
I'll pay 10/1 odds on them being there in 2015!

I've only been to the park twice in the last ten years so perhaps I am envisioning the area a little bigger than I thought, so maybe no coaster there, or only within that site.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Or perhaps you've got really small eyes and everything looks massive?

T0M

Hyper Poster
Ian said:
^ Or perhaps you've got really small eyes and everything looks massive?

After being away from parks for ten years before 2010, everything seems extremely small and insignificant to me now I'm returning to places (even The Ultimate/PMBO etc) - so the fact I think this is a big site could be somewhat worrying... :lol:

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
The skate karts won't go anywhere quick, in fact I'd argue with the loss of the Go Karts, they're more important than ever, and you could argue the park could do worse than having an area for decent pedal Karts, like those found at a lot of the Farm Parks, as a cost bugger all, but reasonably popular attraction.

Ian said:
Nic and I are visiting LWV on Saturday for a sneaky preview of Skeleton Cove and for a chat with the marketing manger. We will bring you a full review with photos and a video. If you have any questions that you'd like us to ask, please post them here.

If it's with Ash, then he really does answer questions frankly and honestly, so anyone interested in the direction of LWV, should really take this oportunity...

Pick one of three from me:

1. The park gets approximately 300,000 odd visitors - with the 5 year plan in mind, what is the aspiration as to what that should be after it has run it's course?

2. Would the park consider a small hotel, possibly in conjunction with someone like Holiday Inn?

3. How important to the park direction is fan and facebook feedback? Has the park ever changed course on the back of negative or different feedback?

Slayed

Hyper Poster
If I may be a park nerd for a moment, my question would be:

"Given the relatively small budget LWV operates with, why haven't they installed the kind of inexpensive, non-ride family facilities other family parks around Europe have in abundance - such as assault courses, climbing areas, slide complexes, big bouncy funbags...?"

"Oh, and when are they going to offer DECENT food?" :)