What's new

Lightwater Valley, New rides in 2011 (see page 7)

Martyn B

CF Legend
There's a big difference between saying something is good, to saying its "one of the most enjoyable ride experiences in the Country"

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Raptor attack isn't brilliant, but it is in far excess of what it should have been, especially for the money. In that respect it puts the theming on 13 to shame. If Nathan is a blind-to-the-parks-failing's fanboy btw, ask him what his banner on valley mania read for six months...

RA won a lot of very sceptical people over, myself included, and it deserves kudos for reinventing itself for a new generation.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Lol, I only commented on what he originially said, and I was only messing about, hence the :lol:

You fanboys take everything so seriously :p

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Actually, I'd vouch to say there is little difference.

Don't be so pedantic.

There are few higher words of praise than "very impressive" or "excellent". Surely if one chooses to use these words, that would obviously mean they enjoyed the attraction, does it not?

T0M

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
but it is now time they were retired with a memorial at the entrance a la Corkscrew at Alton Towers.

Slighty different circumstances really. Corky became iconic around the Country, and made Alton what it is today. LVW's Go-Karts have just kept going for 20 odd years.

I haven't been able to get on the go karts for 15 years. Part due to popularity and part due to slow throughput. Nevertheless a vehicle mounted on a stand and perhaps repainted would be an appropriate testament to something that has been at the park for so long.

It is a fitting tribute to a small park, they have been as integral to LWV's early success at least partially as much as Corkscrew was to Alton Towers'.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Unfortunately it is an unnecessary extravagance and one that would be lost on most people; flog-em or put them in cold storage. If lwv wants to deify anything, the old Rat-car claddings would be the ideal candidate...

T0M

Hyper Poster
Good idea!

As for selling the old karts, I don't reckon anyone would want them because of their age and probably do about twenty yards to the gallon.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
The karts are not that old, they were replaced a few years back.

Melanie from Pleasure Island was at the park 2 days ago looking at the set-up, maybe she wants them.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Oh right thought they were much older, disregard everything I said then. I was at PI on Sunday and they do need something else for their track so who knows. PI also don't charge for their use and they remain a relatively popular attraction.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Mackem Lad said:
Joey said:
I don't understand why rethemeing the rat was a "step in the right direction". It was a waste of money for a park, in my opinion. What does it achieve?

Gives the park one of the most unique and enjoyable ride experiences in the country? The Rat was 22 years old, it needed a change, but the park knew that closing such an iconic and already well themed attraction would be a total waste.

Raptor Attack is quite frankly brilliant; I'd question a budget of £500,000 would get the park anything near as impressive.

Joey said:
As for the Go Karts. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but were they not free? Of COURSE they cost a lot to run, because Lightwater Valley was the ONLY park I've ever been to with free Go Karts. They don't have an ounce of sense. But instead they remove them?

Because charging for them goes against what they stand for. Forgive them for not actually wanting to squeeze another £3 out your wallet...

They're a popular attraction but the running costs continue to rise due to fuel duty. Again, I'd question the decision to ask guests to cough up an extra £3 (that's £12 for a family of four, on top of the £66 admission fee) would go down well after they've been enjoying the attraction at no additional cost for over 20 years.

Joey said:
the management don't have a clue.

Make sure you let them know that next time you guys ask for ERT. :)
Firstly, I do NOT run CoasterForce and the views of any singular individual on here does NOT represent the views of the whole group, or the management. It is RIDICULOUS to refer to me as "you guys".

Because charging for them goes against what they stand for. Forgive them for not actually wanting to squeeze another £3 out your wallet...
Oh what bull****. LWV is a BUSINESS and a very poor one at that if it is more concerned with those kind of ethics than making money.

As for Rat, I've not been on it post re-theme so I cannot comment, but my point still stands that it does nothing to attract people to the park.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
^Despite the park having a lot of first time visitors, or those who haven't been for a very long time, this year?

First-time visitors that have said they will return?

As for "you guys", it just seems everytime LWV related news is posted up, it is met with the usual negative and hostile reaction. For a park that is good to you guys, you give it so much stick.

By all means, if you think it is the wrong decision, you are entitled to your opinion. But saying the management haven't got a clue is just downright disrespectful and not constructive at all.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Mackem Lad said:
As for "you guys", it just seems everytime LWV related news is posted up, it is met with the usual negative and hostile reaction. For a park that is good to you guys, you give it so much stick.

Apart from two posts, the first three pages are all positive, and the other three pages are arguments over those two posts.

I'd say that generally the news has been received with an overwhelming "good choice for the park". Nobody is raving, but that's just a realistic view. it's a good addition and most posts back this up.

Am I right this isn't a PBB topic??? :p

marc

CF Legend
This made me lol big time. Someone at work from Leeds went there the other weekend with his family and asked me a question today. "Do they fit square wheels on the Ultimate", sorry it just made me laugh a lot.

[It's also very off topic and shouldn't be posted in here and discussed further! - Ian]

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Mackem Lad said:
it just seems everytime LWV related news is posted up, it is met with the usual negative and hostile reaction. For a park that is good to you guys, you give it so much stick.

No more than any other park. It's just that you notice it more given that you like LWV so much. Not having a go at you (or using the word fanboy!), just stating the obvious.

As for the new ride, I'm not going to quite go along with the "great addition for the park" train of though, nor am I going to slate it. It's not a "great" addition. It's a good addition that may please the regulars, but that's about it.

Yes, it's the park's first inverting coaster etc., but it's not disimilar to something just up the road and that once stood at Alton Towers, which it will get compared to, and probably unfavourably. There's a reason it's being gotten rid of (yes, another park wants shut of it) so cheaply. Ok, so the park have got a "deal". How much is such an old ride going to cost in maintenance?

So yeah, it's good that they're getting something and "trying", but it's certainly not going to be a miracle rescue for the park either.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
I haven't checked whether Nathan has updated his original post here or just on Valley Mania, but remember folks, the ride originally posted is one of five potential coasters that the park is looking at, one of which I suspect the majority of CF readers would more than fancy riding...

The park does get a lot of criticism, and frankly a fair bit it deserves, even if it comes from a position of having it's hands tied. That said, I suspect it is starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and a significant coaster, whichever it proves to be in the end, is a step in the right direction.

I suspect Raptor Attack has brought in less people than the borrowed topspin, but what it does do is improve the impression garnered from the day, changing the park to one you may go back to, not just to ride the Mutilate.

On the park not wanting to make money aspect, I can't help but agree; it sees it's demographic as working class, and unlikely to spend more than £25 per head per visit, which is frankly absurd. One day visitors are always willing to spend on a 'special' day, regardless of wallet, if the experience is good enough; to struggle to buy souvenirs or even a decent meal as I have done on three occasions is just ludicrous.

The park is changing, and while it is there, I'd suggest that those who value their opinion on this site should really fill in the survey that the park has on it's facebook page, or on VM,; one thing the park can't be accused of is not listening, so for god's sake, people of Coasterforce, help shape what the park should become, not what it is now.

Martyn B

CF Legend
One of my biggest problems with LWV is the entrance fee, its like £20 this year, last year I think I paid £22 or £23 for Flamingoland. So when you compare it to that, it is expensive. I know Flamingoland ain't great, but it is still a much better day out than LWV.

I think they need to jump on the animal bandwagon, and add some kind of farmyard area, that would do the park wonders in my opinion.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
slappy mcguire said:
The park is changing, and while it is there, I'd suggest that those who value their opinion on this site should really fill in the survey that the park has on it's facebook page.

Link to the survey here:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P59XT9L

Just filled it out. Questions seem a bit biassed to me, would be better with 'Other' boxes that the user could write in. For example, the option of 4D cinema, OR more entertainers. How about .. neither? :p

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Loaded questions; if the park has reached the point of committing to a certain direction, then either/or I suppose is a relatively sensible way to do it. Just wish they'd put a comment box at the bottom...