What's new

Formula 1 2009

marc

CF Legend
I think the whole world can see that this is the best type of track for racing, its always been good. You can follow close and get a tow and as a result you get wheel to wheel racing.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I never thought I'd say this, but, that race was actually good :shock:

Best race of the year by far, and well deserved Button championship. My hat goes off to Hamilton as well, he had such a great race.

Simply breathtaking from start to finish.

Peter

Hyper Poster
Just finished watching the race (started it 2 hours late due to other things)

Best race of the year by far! Had me sat on the edge of the seat the whole way through and good results for Button too. Setting fire to Kimi on the opening lap made me lol.

Also McLaren have overtaken Ferrari in the constructors for 3rd place - this makes me happy. :)

Martyn

Giga Poster
Car number 22, driven by an Englishman and powered by a Merc engine has finished fifth in Brazil to win the world championship - same as 2008.

Ben

CF Legend
What I saw of it, that was an awesome race.

Button <3 He delivered today, he really did.

... but, so did Hamilton I have to say. They both pulled off great drives which should make Britain proud!

Emmett

Giga Poster
Yes, what a brilliant race. I think its the only one which I've sat the whole way through this year without flicking over.

What a start with all the crashes and then the fuel rig incident. Poor Rubens to miss out with the puncture on his home ground but I was happy to see Jenson win as it would have been cruel if he missed out on the title.

I agree that Kobayashi was brilliant to watch, hope they keep him on for 2010.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Kobayashi was fantastic, apart from the couple of times he should have been done for weaving. I hope he's still driving next year.

Button's drive was also superb. He deserved the championship with that performance.

Hamilton's drive was also good, but I can't help but feel he wouldn't have done so well had it not been for the incidents at the start.

nealbie

CF Legend
Vettel and Button drove better. Hamilton was massively assisted by the clever pitstop at the start. Seb and Jenson had to do without. So Jokerman's right.

marc

CF Legend
Button will be 10 mins from where I work tomorrow.

Lewis was switched to a one stop which means his car was heavy which means he drove well to set the lap times he was able to do. FACT.

I am taking nothing away from Button or Vettel at all. Had Button been able to clear the Toyota faster he would have been ahead of Lewis and Vettel.

But look at the number of races MS won due to clever pit work yet people praised him. Vettel jumped Button due to better pit stop plan, same goes for Webber jumping Rubens. Its all part of the race.

Getting bored of this now tbh its ****ing stupid, its always the same thing.

Look at the race as a whole. Had the 1st lap crash not happened there is a huge chance Rubens would have built the gap he needed. Sutil, Trulli, Alonso and Kimi would all have been ahead of Button. Button would have been out the points and Rubens would have closed the gap.

The 1st lap crash helped them all, Mclaren made a better choice and Lewis made it work. You used to praise MS for the same bloody thing.

Championship over and the right person won, lets see how he does next year.

nealbie

CF Legend
Marc is now clutching at straws and making stuff up to boot :lol:

None of you knew me prior to 2007, and as such haven't got a clue what I did way back when in the days of the Reignmeister ;)

marc

CF Legend
No Neal but you have said stuff on MSN :)

That race in Hungry was won using pit stops and driving flat out.

Thing is I remember every single race from 1988 onwards.

I don't just look at one lap I look at the whole race, so yes the 1st lap helped Lewis but it helped the other just as much but cost some of the 2 stoppers.

At least this championship was won fair and square, no driving into people to win it, not needing help from his team mate etc :lol:

nealbie

CF Legend
No, I see what you mean. But in this instance, the pitstop put Lewis at a much greater advantage than all of the others. This was hampered by the fact he had lots of fuel on board, which is why he finished only just in front of Vettel.

Yes Lewis did well, but as I've already said, a huge part of that was down to McLaren's call.

Hungary 98 is in essence the same, but in practice very different. 20 odd quali laps to get a pitstop and a half in there. Yes that was also tactics with the genius that is Brawn. But Michael needed to do a lot more than just keep pace with relatively slow cars ;)

You can't say the 1998 McLaren was slow now to be fair :lol:

edit -
marc said:
At least this championship was won fair and square, no driving into people to win it, not needing help from his team mate etc

I proper lol'd at this edit. Yes, indeed. I was very happy for the Canadian pitlane to not feature in the championship this year, along with Heikki Kovalainen ;)

marc

CF Legend
Had Mika not had the car problem in that race, the steering was not working 100% if you remember, MS would not have won.

But credit where its due he done what he needed to do and won the race, much the same as Mika at the European GP later that year which people forget.

In this race Mclaren counted on a 1st lap crash, they started lewis and Kovy on the softer tyres, Vettel and Button could not change to a 1 stop as they would have never made the tyres last. Kovy would have been 4th had they not messed up his stop, for the 1st time this year he had good race pace lol.

Just saw a reply of the 1st lap crash, Sutil did not even touch Trulli. Trulli came out the corner on the curb and spun, idiot tbh. Btw Kimi had a tyre going flat anyway due to the 1st corner tap, so even if he had not lost his front wing he would have had to stop.

Edit.

The pit lane crash cost Lewis points in Canada and France (due to the penalty) so he lost out more than Kimi anyway.

Kovalainen got out the way once last year in Germnay when Lewis was on new tyres any way and had the better chance to win.

Unlike Rubens who had to give up a win, and unlike Eddie who always had brake problems when MS was behind or just ahead :)

Anyway like I said it was great to see a clean championship with all the drivers invloved. I dont think 2008 was a great way to win as I have said to you, far to many errors 2007 would have been a better one.

Only I am not sure I like the way Vettel is becoming.

nealbie

CF Legend
Yeah, Trulli came back onto the track, or at least tried to, but there was no room, so he ended up half and half, braked and spun into everyone lol.

Racing incident to be fair.

marc

CF Legend
I really thought Sutil was going to hurt someone, it was like that crash in Austria when Nick hit the Jordan.

Was only Alonso that got hit and was not that bad, could have been a lot worse.

nealbie

CF Legend
My first thought was that crash in Monza 2000 where the marshall got hit and died.

I was immediately concerned for the guys in the orange overalls if I'm honest.

marc

CF Legend
Alonso is angry as he said Sutil could have stopped the car but kept his foot down to get back on the track.

marc

CF Legend
Button is being lined up to move to Mclaren.

I will be shocked if that happens.

About Todt, that is the worst news for F1 I feel and should not have been allowed. Sad thing is we new he would win anyway.