What's new

Formula 1 2009

nealbie

CF Legend
2009 is finally here! Who will win? Will it be as close as last year? Is it going to be a shock victory?

Well the rule book has almost totally been torn up and rewritten. All of the teams have a very realistic chance of winning races this year, and ultimately the championship.

So those of us expecting the usual Ferrar vs McLaren, with BMW and Renault chasing at their coat-tails... think again! We're in for a good year me thinks! :)

Ferrari are also the first people to launch their new car with the new technical regulations, slick tyres, no aero devices, etc.

http://www.f1.com/gallery/launches/2009/342.html

Vastly different from last year's model, I like it.

jokerman

Giga Poster
That car looks weird. I think its bcause its so different to what they looked like last year.

I think this year will be exciting, but not sure if anything can live up to the drama of last years final race.

John91

Mega Poster
I think this will be an interesting season. Obviously McLaren and Ferrari will be right at the top, but Kubica and Alonso will be fighting with them a lot. The first few races will be different when the drivers aren't used to such close racing. Lots of crashes, I expect.

tks

Strata Poster
Not enough crashes. Of course that's not what anyone looks for in Motorcar racing...

Blaze

Hyper Poster
New cars are hideous, and the designs do not really affect the cars overtaking ability, according to BMW's boss.
Vettel is the next new champion, wait and see, but I would like Massa or Kubica win this year, I like them.

Emmett

Giga Poster
The first thing I noticed was the strange looking rear wing, its very high up and so narrow. Also the car looks miles better with full slicks instead of grooves.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this brake heat energy system works too although I bet none of these will make the racing any closer. They will need to go down the same road as A1 GP to achieve this.

Emmett

Giga Poster
^If it means the racing will be closer and more overtaking then I'm for it. Since I've watched F1 since about 1994 the racing has got worse. Every time they change the rules to try and make it closer and promote overtaking it never works.

I prefer watching Moto GP now although the 2008 season was nowhere near as good as the previous seasons. But I find the bikes more exciting to watch.

Lets just hope BBC can add a bit of excitment back into watching F1 because ITV were pure crap especially during their final years.

marc

CF Legend
Well the FIA have really made the cars ugly, the Ferrari looked nice till it hit the track.

There are also pics of it with the front wing bending down so more work is needed there.

This week a few cars are being shown for the first time, I think its Toyota tomorrow and Mclaren on the 15th.

marc

CF Legend
The Mclaren and the Toyota look great, a lot better than the Ferrari anyway.

Still hate the wide wings though.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Cars are horribly out of proportion, but look better than the BMW that was seen in the winter. Surprised Dennis is stepping down, McLaren probably won't be the same. Although I do have a loasthing of the man.