What's new

English Football 2008/2009 Season

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Glad Newcastle are gone, sad in a way Borro went down, but atleast that means 6 points more next season, they always beat the top 4. Can't believe Hull were so close, they got to like 6th, then suddenly dropped without anyone noticing until they were on the edge.

Depressing to know our record is gone, but atleast we gave it a decent go, just those draws in the winter that cost us. I hope Xabi and Reira stay, Kuyt has had his best year so far like Alonso, sad to see Sami go, Premier League bargain of the decade, and Liverpools first legend of the 2000's, next year could be Carra's last big year aswell.

Hope Neverton win the chavs, and hope Barca beat the Mancs, not only are they up against the Mancs but they are my fave foreign team and second most supported team, but I am resigned to them losing, which will happen now because Messi has mouthed off about winning first. This year has been bad for our records, United catch us up in leagues and could move just behind us in the European Cup table, if they win this one and again next year, they join the roll of honour on both counts, not good.

But loved Chelsea going out, so classless, yes UEFA don't want an ll English final, but the match wern't fixed and they didn't complain last year about the Latvain ref in the final, and no one else complained about this ref when anyone else had him. So classless, and how many times will they sing "**** your history, we're going to Rome" again, about the same as their number of European Cups-zero. We'll we've still got our history, and have been to Rome. Twice. Without Cheap Mass Produced Plastic Flags, or CMPPF's as I now refer to them. So much for Newcastle's great support, they have them now, as do Arsenal, who's fans should be a bit more respectful to Wenger and what he did for the club, they are very ungratefull.

Now bring on all the end of season relegation jokes...I'll start...

What is the difference between the Prem and my garden?
My garden will have Magpies in it in the morning!

The Prem relegation battle was really cloudy and grey until Sunday.
Now it's clearly Black And White!

I'm here all week!

Dave

CF Legend
Portsmouth FC are on the verge of a takeover bid! Same people who own Manchester City!! :D

I don't care if they buy silly players, if they build us a new stadium, youth academy and new training grounds then YES!

Blaze

Hyper Poster
It's about time the Yanks sorted our finances out, we are on the verge of some serious trouble next month...

A

Anonymous

Typical Barca do anything to cheat there way to the win. yes man u didnt capitolise on there early posestion but barca are yet again reverting to type cheat all the way.

ahh well still a good game underneath it all.

Lain

Giga Poster
kitsune said:
Typical Barca do anything to cheat there way to the win.

LOL what?

Barcelona were by far the better team. They were sublime, and United just didn't show up. Simple as.

A

Anonymous

They may have been the better team but more of the players on the floor were in a barca shirt. puyol would have held his balls if it got a player booked xavi calling ronny a cheating c**t.

Rush

Giga Poster
I'm no expert on football but I fail to see how it is plausible for a football team to cheat whilst playing. People that accuse others of cheating are just people who can't admit that they lost and are trying to find an excuse to cover up their failure.

Oh and I didn't need to watch the game on TV, Facebook seemed to show it pretty well.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Barca cheated because they beat ManU. Simple as. :p

The smugness was wiped off the United fan's faces as Barca took ManU to school & the loss kept Sir Alex Ferguson from tying Bob Paisley's record. Yay!

Brookes

Giga Poster
I hadn't really seen Barca play much before last nights game, but wow are they good. I was amazed at how easily they just kept the ball, playing it around Man U and just easily getting past their midfield. It was just give and go and Messi was through. Iniesta and Xavi were brilliant and Carrick had no chance. United's back four looked a bit dodgy and didn't seem to be able to handle Barca's attack. I think last night's game just showed how bad the Premier League is getting. Man U were simply not good enough. Barca were much quicker to close down, way quicker on the ball, one touch passing just brilliant. And I agree that some of the players were being a bit dramatic, but to be honest, Barca wiped the floor with them so it didn't matter, it's just how they are. And if that's a make-shift back four and they kept a clean sheet against Man U, no wonder Josep Guardiola has won the treble in his first season. They were fantastic.

thx

Mega Poster
^What I think made the biggest difference was Barcelonas play without the ball, a ka their ability of very effectively seeking new places to be available to pass to.

I didn't really like this final, in the way that both ManU and Barca are my two favourite teams, been a Barca fan since the de Boer brothers, Luis Enrique, Sergi and the likes, played there 10 years ago.

Also of the 11 CL finals that I've seen, I think, this is the 2nd most boring (as it was so onesided) after Real Madrid-Valencia 3:0 in 2000.

Dave

CF Legend
Yes but we aren't aiming to spend silly amounts like they did. He's spending money to sort our infastructure out ;)

I bet 'ol twitchy face is going redder than a red carpet at the moment!

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Nah, City were getting things together by the end of this season and looking a lot better. Any team that brings in a load of new players, expensive or not, is going to have to be prepared to wait a while for those players to gel. Good players don't make a team, teamwork makes a team, and that takes time, for players to build up understanding. City'll get there, they just need a bit of stability now. That's the other half of the problem too, no manager is ever given the chance to achieve that stability. A few months of bad results and that's it, they're out of the door. Mark Hughes will be lucky to survive, but if he does, he'll get them the results.

Pierre

Strata Poster
City 50/1 for the title next year... guranteed them odds will be MUCH shorter after some transfers have been made, get on it now ;)

ryan462

Hyper Poster
Nah, City wont win the league unless they get Xavi, Inesta and Messi :p

and even though they have the most money, the best players will want to play in the champions league. (Not Man city)

Apart from greedy players that move for wages such as robinho

robbeal

Hyper Poster
If City get Xavi, Iniesta & Messi, they definitely WON'T win the title! Yeah, they're quality players, and yeah they've played together before, but they've not played with the rest of the team, and 3 new first teamers is changing more than 25% of your starting lineup. That's not stability. Championship Manager teaches you this boys!

ryan462

Hyper Poster
I do completely understand that and I only said it as I knew it would never happen BUT I think they would become serious tittle contenders if those 3 players came. They already have a great keeper and a strong defence, there midfield would be Elano, Xavi, Inesta, Wright-philips and they would have Messi and Robinho upfront. Obviously it would take a while for them to adjust to the team but I think they would almost definitely challenging the top teams.