What's new

Chessington apply for planning permission for redevelopment

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I understand what they're doing here, but will it really attract many new people? I think people will enjoy the new area when they go but not many will go especially for it.

It's good that Merlin haven't forgotten about Chessie, but this feels like a top-up, just to keep the park a bit more up to date. Not a big investment to push the park to the next level.

Martyn B

CF Legend
With all investments there are pro's and con's. But at the end of the day, I think we have to be happy that we're going to see some proper investment in Chessy.

I love Chessy, I really do, I enjoy my days there so much, and I have a much better day at Chessy than I do at Thorpe Park, and I'm glad they're finally going to be improving the place properly. Just a shame there's still nothing 'wow' to entice people back.

I will be sad to see Beano Land go, even though it did stick out, it was a fun and quirky land, and was definitely a big hit with kids. It must have been a big decision form the management to change the area. Though it had started to look very run down and messy.

To me it will seem odd having a Fun House with a serious theme, as thats what it looks like its going to get.

peep

CF Legend
^They didn't really have much choice with getting rid of Beanoland, their contract runs out at the end of this season to keep the Beano theme.

Also they have seen an increase in visitors without a massive addition to the park over the last couple of years (I suppose you could count the sea life centre as a big addition, meh). People from the South-East of England are always going to take their kids to Chessie, it has a great zoo and some awesome attractions. They also have a good enough upkeep throughout the park and a great atmosphere which keeps bringing peeps back every year. Of course a new major attraction would be awesome but I think the company getting everything else corrected first is a good thing.

Martyn B

CF Legend
What do you mean by 'everything else' though?

I really like the look of Chessy, I think it has alot of good themeing, but I'd like to see them go round the park and 'freshen' it up, as it has started to look a bit stale lately. I suppose this Beanoland revamp is the start of that.

peep

CF Legend
My post on one of the other pages goes through some touch-ups on other areas of the park. For example the whole queueline for Rameses Revenge was given a lick of paint and the fabric roof things which go over a tiny bit of the queue were replaced with new ones, or just cleaned very well :p

Another example would be the fixing of the animatronics and effects in the Rattlesnake queue, the figures were also re-clothed.

Some animal enclosures have also been re-done with new climbing frames etc for the animals.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^I noticed that yesterday about the buildings by Rameses when walking to break from Peeking... I was quite suprised how bright the buildings were and that they looked quite good... Still got a bit to repaint there though...

What I hope Chessie do right now is kind of a area regeneration project for each part of the park, slowly making their way around each area every year and redoing it... Not retheming them, but repairing stuff, replacing broken bits and bobs, getting rid of crap rides and putting in new ones, even adding more theming (I have a great idea for Fury's finale)...

There are about 6 rides in Chessie that I'd like to see removed eventually, for various reasons, and I think I'll do a post in the Views topic to explain this further...

Actually things to do with this though, the odd bit of management has been seen surveying the area and also people from Merlin Studios and with plans in their bags are about... Woot for excitement...

marc

CF Legend
I was gonna say that I think the animal cages need work. The zoo is very much like it was from day 1 and I would like to see them bought into the year 2009 and not 1980.

Martyn B

CF Legend
One other thing, why are now going to incorporate animals with the rides? Is this something we're going to see more of from now on?

I liked how the Zoo was seperate from everything, yet was very close to rides etc.

peep

CF Legend
I see a problem occurring due to that idea too. During winter months they have zoo only days, well guests won't be able to go to this new area to see the birds and reptiles and it would be stupid to only open a few paths just to that area (or could we see a few rides open during winter months?) Hmm, I bet they haven't thought about that aspect of it :p

badger

Roller Poster
new bits

Vampire queue line has been replaced with new fence and shop, tomb blaster has all effects working now,even the dodgy elephant on dragon falls works,things are happening and only for the better. Halloween should be a tester bet it,s going to be the best one yet.Good luck to Chessie my fav park . cool)

Gladiator

Mega Poster
This is great news as Disko's are very popular with families
However, I will be missing Beanoland along with a lot of other people
RIP Beanoland

Ollie

CF Legend
I don't mind. Beanoland got really tacky quickly. At least now they're giving it a much needed re-theme. At least they're keeping the rides there (moving the bumper cars across the area though) so we won't bee loosing any rides as we'll be gaining them. :)

peep

CF Legend
Thanks for the link A-Kid. I'm loving the poster, it is quite simple and for some reason shows Vekoma SLC track but it works well and just gets me even more excited about next years addition.

It's strange how massive the area looks without all the theming.

Mark

Strata Poster
Simple yet effective poster design. I like it a lot.

I hope the theming comes off as well as some of their other areas in Chessie. I always thought Forbidden Kingdom was pretty well done and so if it is to that level this will be very good.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
That poster is quite awesome... Especially the way in which the Disko has been put on it...

Just hope the entire area is up to a great standard theming wise... Then maybe coaster wise in 2012 :lol:

jacoaster

Roller Poster
Love it! Good name, good poster. :--D

I'm really looking forward to this. With all the trees surrounding the site as well as the great theming shown on the plans, this could prove to be one the most immersively-themed areas in the country!

jokerman

Giga Poster
I didn't notice the SLC track until it was mentioned, made me lol.

It's a decent name, just hope that the theming lives up to the concept art!