What's new

Chessington apply for planning permission for redevelopment

Emmett

Giga Poster
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I spotted this over at TPR on the forums.

Chessington World of Adventures has submitted planning permission for the redevelopment of 'Beanoland', including the relocation and/or re-themeing of existing structures/buildings, the installation of a new disc ride, the creation of a bird walkthrough enclosure, landscaping and engineering works.

http://maps.kingston.gov.uk/isis_main/P ... trHeader=Y

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Still sounds very pfffttt to me.

No mention of a new coaster,and that's what the park is crying out for.

Jools

Giga Poster
Re: Chessington apply for planning permission for redevelopm

Emmett said:
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I spotted this over at TPR on the forums.

Chessington World of Adventures has submitted planning permission for the redevelopment of 'Beanoland', including the relocation and/or re-themeing of existing structures/buildings, the installation of a new disc ride, the creation of a bird walkthrough enclosure, landscaping and engineering works.

http://maps.kingston.gov.uk/isis_main/P ... trHeader=Y

Groan

Pierre

Strata Poster
A 'disc' ride... is that a Disko then? They're the dullest type of ride ever, its the only ride I can sit on, have a conversation through and completely miss the whole 'ride experience'.

Shame I like Beanoland, I hope its redeveloped in an equally as fun theme :)

Jools

Giga Poster
I'm hoping it's going to be a frisbee, but it's probably going to be like the one at Paulton's to try and steel their light or just a normal disk-o.

peep

CF Legend
^A frisbee? Na, wouldn't fit into the park.

It does say it's a disc ride, but surely that means it's more likely to be a comeback for Rodeo or something round like a teacups ride. If it is a disk-o I will moan at Chessington management until they decide it's a bad idea.

As I said in the other topic I'm also very confused by the bird walk-through or whatever it is. Surely this would mean more space would open up in the money and bird section of the zoo?

Anyway it's still early days and we have no images to go on at the moment (but I hope it's soon).

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Managed to grab Rob Bishop yesterday who told me that all the ride staff had been told what was happening Saturday when I was off... :lol:

BUT, he told me that it's definitely a Disko Coaster which will go on the right hand side of the area, meaning Dodgems will move to where the Water Balloons are, and Bus will move nearer the front of the area (probs where the massive gap is)...

Madhouse is staying, and the bird walkthrough will be like the aviaries at Busch Gardens, which are actually awesome as you can feed the birds, which is what we'll be doing...

Hopefully they'll announce it soon with the theme and what-not...

A colleague kinda put this into perspective yesterday in that, even though we all wanted acoaster (myself obviously included) this year it wasn't really gonna be on the cards because well, it's a coaster... Merlin it would seem want to test the waters, and with a cheap ride can also focus a lot of attention and budget on theming, which hopefully will be more Mutiny Bay than Saw...

Also, the Holiday Inn planning permission is planned to be a Savannah type area, so hopefully it'll become an Animal Kingdom esque lodge in the future...

Fingers crossed we get a coaster next year... And a Rodeo replacement... And a full Bubbleworks retheme... And a clean-up of Skyway... And a clean-up of Mine Train... And so on... :lol:

Steven

Giga Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
And a full Bubbleworks retheme

About bloody time too imperial lather ruined it and I stopped buying there products. So much for advertising :lol: .

Darren

Roller Poster
The plans are online and look amazing. It's a lost temple/safari theme...
All the theming is up to Merlin standards and the new ride, although a Mega Disk-O, looks very well themed. It all looks very nice!

marc

CF Legend
Seeing what their target is the new stuff is fine for them.

But for people who like rides its not great really.

I have yet to be impressed with anything Merlin have done so I dont expect much from the work or theming. But yet again they are going for cheap rides that you can find in small parks.

But at least they are doing something to change the park after nothing for years.

To a degree though it looks as if Merlin are looking at other parks and taking ideas from them, the bird thing and the hotel. Problem is other parks spend a lot on these Merlin seem to do everything on the cheap so it will look bad.

The Animal Kingdom lodge looks fantastic with lots of space, infact the hotel grounds are probably the size of Chessington so again I dont think it will be good.

nealbie

CF Legend
It will look good in reality. And is it me or is the disk ride going to be curved not straight as per usual?

Emmett

Giga Poster
Yeah I thought that too but then I spotted the serpent outline in front of the track. Its going to be themed around serpents I'm guessing :lol: .

serpent.png

Its just a pitty they are going for the 'Eurofighter' of flat rides. Cheap and cheerful.

Emmett

Giga Poster
^Same here once you've done one the rest are all the same. Probably a good choice for a park like Chessington with its target audience and they are quite a popular ride for children and families.