What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach |Wallace & Gromit Thrill-o-Matic

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Re: Wallace and Gromit dark ride @ BPB 2012

Martyn B said:
The Trauma Tower building is sitting empty...bit small though (I think).

Never knew it had shut. I actually found that ride quite fun and would have liked to ride it at the live. :(

Now that building is empty, I think this new ride should go there.

alexr

Hyper Poster

There's not that much room in the Trauma Building but it could work. Also Same can be said for Impossible. As for Space invader, it's only the Bottom part of the building that's occupied as it has always been as before it being a Pizza Place, it was a pub, The Actual ride area it was in is empty however I's Rumored to become a 4d cinema for next year.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Is PBB really so void of money and imagination that they have to rely on telly tie-ins for new rides?

Surely replacing the Alice in Wonderland rather than Gold Mine would be a better move?

tks

Strata Poster

I can't imagine them filling the entire Gold Mine ride with W&G. It's rather long. Unless they plan on acting out every scene from "the wrong trousers". <3

alexr

Hyper Poster

They won't replace Alice in Wonderland, Mandy won't allow it, it's her favorite ride on park. The Wallace and Grommet Attraction has been rumored for years though sort of like Nick Land.
It's must in north park which is why Winter Weekends is in South Park this year.

Aaron

Hyper Poster

Martyn B said:
The Trauma Tower building is sitting empty...bit small though (I think).

:O that was one of my favourite rides in the park! :(

alexr

Hyper Poster

Yea Trauma towers closed In 2008 and The Tagada's been sold and most of the Props are in the Ghost Train.

Lofty

CF Legend

alexr said:
Yea Trauma towers closed In 2008 and The Tagada's been sold and most of the Props are int he Ghost Train.

Props AND sets by the looks of it. You notice it in the second half of the ride, where you've done the little drop!

MouseAT

Hyper Poster

I'm definitely a Wallace and Gromit fan. That said, I'm not sure I trust Blackpool to pull this off. Something about their recent efforts just feels a bit half-assed somehow. I don't want a half-assed Wallace and Gromit ride. I want a really good Wallace and Gromit ride.

I also hope they don't kill off yet another classic ride in order to make room for this. We've already lost the joys of Magic Mountain. Losing Goldmine would be a real shame.

Brett7710

Mega Poster

If they do take out Impossible I hope they manage to keep the Haunted Swing, I don't know if it was the first of it's kind, but it seems like an antique compared to the Vekoma Mad House rides (which i'm fed up of realising i've ended up on almost every time I visit a new park!)

Martyn B

CF Legend

It's must in north park which is why Winter Weekends is in South Park this year

The winter weekends are usually in the South park...?

alexr

Hyper Poster

^

No they are not they are normally in North Park however quite a lot of work is due in North park therefore Nick Land and South park will be open Minus Steeple Chase.
Also PB Have released a Advert for their Halloween Event Vampire Beach which should hopefully be better than the event at which Amanda was spotted at Asda with a Trolley of Pumpkins and they said that was their event.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj8pKW7uiSo&feature=feedu[/youtube]

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Why release that video when the website isn't ready?

Scott88

Hyper Poster

Winter weekends are likely to be returning to South end of PB this year*, with so much work scheduled for the North end of the park, which will include the transformation of the Goldmine to the new W&G attraction. I have heard Goldmine is due to shut in September, ready for work to begin for the new attraction, but that isn't confirmed as yet and I'll believe it when it happens.

*Rumours suggest PMBO and Rev will be open up to the end of November, and Nick Land will be open along side them, and carry on being open to the public every weekend up to Christmas Eve, that is also not confirmed yet, but it's looking very likely.

On the subject of Vampire Beach, I don't think it'll be an event on the Scarefest & Fright Night scale, however it will be more than the usual Halloween props which are in and around the Pleasure Beach towards the end of October, which can only be a positive move as Halloween seems to be a very popular thing over here now.

nadroJ

CF Legend

As I say with everything that is based on existing characters and storylines (this rant normally happens when Disney announce their latest movie franchise ride tie-in), I'm sure it will be good, well themed, etc, etc, but what I really love and what I feel is missing from a LOT of parks recently is a bit of creativity and imagination. Anybody who has been to Blackpool knows they are capable of creating their own weird and wacky dark rides without the assistance of characters that already exist. Franchise rides/areas are very cool yes but they don't offer anything new to the table and just seem to end up flogging a dead horse after a few years. The thing with characters and stories created by the parks themselves is that they are timeless and therefore have a longer 'sell by' date, by that I mean they haven't just jumped on the bandwagon of a popular TV/film and made a ride out of it whose theme will probably be quite irrelevant and outdated in ten or so years.

As much as I love Wallace and Gromit and the Britishness of it all, I'm still desperate to see something original, especially out of a park as capable of it as Blackpool.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^I agree to an extent, but the originality I imagine you're talking about hasn't been seen for many years. I'm assuming you're talking about things like the Gold Mine, River Caves etc. I suppose you could lump Valhalla in there as well, but even that's, what, 15 years old now? I'm not sure that the park are as capable of "originality" these days as we would like to think, and that's a shame really.

Wallace and Gromit? I couldn't give two **** personally. I'm sure it will be popular, but as Jordan has mentioned, the shelf life is questionable; is anyone really even "into" Wallace and Gromit these days?

Martyn B

CF Legend

Unfortunately, everything over here now has to be gimmicky for some reason, so we're never likely to see an original/normal dark ride with no gimmicks, apart from this, which has a TV tie-in.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

gavin said:
^I agree to an extent, but the originality I imagine you're talking about hasn't been seen for many years. I'm assuming you're talking about things like the Gold Mine, River Caves etc. I suppose you could lump Valhalla in there as well, but even that's, what, 15 years old now? I'm not sure that the park are as capable of "originality" these days as we would like to think, and that's a shame really.

Totally agree on that front - plus, Gold Mine is hardly the height of great and interesting theming (in fact it's complete bollocks).

It's worth mentioning about the other "Franchise" on park though, Alice in Wonderland which has been running for what? 40 years? It's still a relatively popular ride too. Some times, you don't need to know the reference material to still be able to enjoy a ride.

Gavin said:
Wallace and Gromit? I couldn't give two **** personally. I'm sure it will be popular, but as Jordan has mentioned, the shelf life is questionable; is anyone really even "into" Wallace and Gromit these days?

They've got the very popular Timmy spin off, which was a spin off of Shaun the Sheep (which is actually very good). I think I read there's a new half hour feature due very soon too, so this will probably tie in with that. I'd say it's as well known now as an IP as Rugrats (in the UK anyway).

Robbie

Hyper Poster

furie said:
It's worth mentioning about the other "Franchise" on park though, Alice in Wonderland which has been running for what? 40 years? It's still a relatively popular ride too. Some times, you don't need to know the reference material to still be able to enjoy a ride.
50 years old this year (and fairly obviously ripped off from Disneyland). The Disney movie still does the rounds so I'm sure lots of kids still get the references. That ride used to scare the **** out of me when I was very little.