What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach |Wallace & Gromit Thrill-o-Matic

Martyn B

CF Legend
Wallace and Gromit dark ride @ BPB 2013

A CRACKING RIDE, GROMIT!

A WALLACE And Gromit-themed ride promises a grand day out for tourists at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Oscar-winning animator Nick Park has agreed to let the amusement park use his much-loved characters because he has been charmed by the holiday resort since his childhood.

“We are in the middle of discussions with Blackpool Pleasure Beach about a Wallace & Gromit ride,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Desert Island Discs. “It’s not a hair-raising, terrifying ride but a family friendly ride.

“It’s nice because Blackpool Pleasure Beach is a family-run business. Blackpool is just down the road [Park lives 17 miles away in Preston] and I used to go there as a kid for the switching on of the lights. It feels right."

Plans for the ride, due to open in 2012, are still under wraps.

Park, 52, who has won four Oscars, has been called the Walt Disney of for films such as The Wrong Trousers and A Grand Day Out starring eccentric cheese-eating inventor and his dog, Gromit.

“I am constantly in awe of how things have gone from playing with plasticine at home and that is what I still feel I am doing really,” he said as he chose discs by artists including Van Morrison and comedian John Shuttleworth.

“I still feel guilty that I enjoy it so much, that I shouldn’t be being paid for it. I have everything I want, I have a lovely little house, I have a camper van. I love the British countryside. I’m not after yachts.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/218 ... ide-Gromit

I spotted it on this forum: http://www.ukrides.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3237

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Re: Wallace and Gromit dark ride @ BPB 2012

Looks interesting, defs worth following. Do you know what kind of ride system it will use?

Martyn B

CF Legend

Going by what people are saying on that forum, it could be going in the Gold Mine building, if thats true, then I wouldn't be too surprised if they used the track thats already there.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

hmm the ride is pretty old though i wouldnt be surprised if they did a little maintenance and updating on coaster.
hopfully they change the whole track layout rather than just change the theming

alexr

Hyper Poster

I forgot to post this was mentioned in a article ages ago. I think it will be in Gold Mine.

Josh73

Giga Poster

I love W&G! This sounds awesome! Can't wait for the actual plans to come out!

Brett7710

Mega Poster

I hope they dont install it in the Gold Mine building, I went on GM for the first time this year (I might have been on when I was really young but can't remember) and I enjoyed it. I think it's a nice quirky ride that breaks up the day of riding one coaster after another (and it's smoother than Grand National!)

Isn't the old Space Invader building empty? Or could it be built in the Trauma Towers building?

Aaron

Hyper Poster

I hope they don't get rid of Gold Mine! I love that ride!

Saying that, it makes sense for them to do that as the ride system is already there and they could quite easily adapt it, the only problem would be that there isn't much space for a queue...

Unless they rip out Space Invader 2 (They never seem to run it these days anyway) and use the building and queue to house a new ride? Depends how much they're gonna spend (as little as possible I'd wager)

tks

Strata Poster

Space Invader isn't even inside the building anymore Az :p It's now a Pizza restaurant.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

glad I got a final couple of rides on it at the weekend, probably a good bet considering it's not mentioned on the park map this year... :(

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

Where I think it should go is in Impossible's building. No matter how good it might be for very young kids, that ride is rubbbish and should be taken out in favour of something like this.

Keep Gold Mine as there is the huge building to worry about and they'll only end up re-themeing very badly like Space invaders building. Impossible's building would be the easiest to retheme out of all the buildings.

Aaron

Hyper Poster

tks said:
Space Invader isn't even inside the building anymore Az :p It's now a Pizza restaurant.

LOL I'm so with it!

RIP an enjoyable (but terrible throughput) ride

Mark

Strata Poster

Ooooo more TV tie-ins. Will be interesting to see how this one develops. I just hope they include Shaun and some free samples of Wensleydale :lol:

Nic

Strata Poster

Never fear, Az... if your withdrawal symptoms get too much to bear, just take a trip to Brean!

http://rcdb.com/9283.htm

Anyway, yes, Wallace & Gromit! OMG! So excited about this! I LOVE W&G! I'm a little bit dubious about it going to PBB though. It'll either be full of plastic racism, or it'll be all pink and sparkly. Either way, that won't work. I would wet my pants with excitement if they got one of those 4D shooty things, but if it's just going to be a re-theme of Goldmine, then that isn't happening.

As much as I hate to say it, I can see this replacing Goldmine. It was supposed to be SBNO last year, but ended up re-opening now and again part way through the season. If it is in there, the main thing I don't understand is what they'll do with the bit by the cafe where it goes over the river caves. The W&G theme won't fit both rides at the same time.

mouse

Giga Poster

I agree with Thekingin64, it should go in Impossible, that ride is rubbish. They could start with a walkthrough showing how it is all animated, and then the ride with life size models etc.
I liked gold mine, rather it stayed at the park.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

mouse said:
I agree with Thekingin64, it should go in Impossible, that ride is rubbish. They could start with a walkthrough showing how it is all animated, and then the ride with life size models etc.
I liked gold mine, rather it stayed at the park.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! That was Maxi-Minor_Furie's favourite thing in the whole of Blackpool!!!

Whereas Goldmine is tedious, old, crap and ripe for a refresh... Dibs on the Indiana Jones in Carbonite model though :lol:

Lofty

CF Legend

I DETEST Wallace and Gromit. This ride is actually going to make me want to vomit.

Martyn B

CF Legend

The Trauma Tower building is sitting empty...bit small though (I think).

marc

CF Legend

-lofty- said:
I DETEST Wallace and Gromit. This ride is actually going to make me want to vomit.

Could not have said it better myself :)

Ollie

CF Legend

Wallace and Gromit is awesome. :)
I'd LOVE to see them make it into a ride like Toy Story Mania and that Mouse one at Phantasialand.
They can theme it to all the contraptions moving targets and stuff and it'd fit with the theme and be done so well.
Sadly I know all we'll probably get is some okish dark ride. :p