What's new

Your year in review - 2021 edition

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I always enjoy reading this thread every year to see what people have been up to and I realised that we didn't have one yet for 2021 so here we go! I've used last year's categories as a template and added a couple of extras. You can copy and paste the categories and fill in your own answers. Feel free to add or subtract categories based on what you want to talk about.

- Coaster count at start of 2021:

- Coaster count at end of 2021:

- New coasters ridden in 2021:

- New parks visited in 2021:

- Park visits (number of days) in 2021:

- Best new-to-you coaster:

- Best new-to-you non-coaster:

- Favourite new-to-you park of 2021:

- Best park visit:

- Best seasonal event:

- Highlight of 2021:

- Biggest surprise of 2021:

- Best individual coaster lap:

- Best new for 2021 ride:

- Proudest accomplishment as an enthusiast:

- Best non-park travel moment:

- Most surprising coaster:

- Funniest coaster/park/enthusiast moment:

- Most exciting announcement For 2022:

Let's hear about your year!

nadroJ

CF Legend

*whispers* Thirteen

Siam Park and Loro Parque (stretching it a bit with both considering neither are technically theme parks). Oh and Diggerland I guess.

40 - way more than I realised!

FLY at Phantasialand

So I made a promise to myself (along with Emily and Serena) that I'd push my limits this year and ride more drop towers. I've actually found myself really enjoying them - the one at Movie Park was particularly good! So either that or Flight of the Sky Lion I think.

Siam Park I guess

- Best park visit:
Towers Oktoberfest

- Best seasonal event:
Really enjoyed Towers Oktoberfest this year.

- Highlight of 2021:
First weekend back at Thorpe was really good, that and finally getting to York Maze Hallowscream were my personal favourites of the year.

Movie Park Studio Tour, Halloween overlay. No idea it was a thing and it was really excellent.

Second ride on FLY. Amazing, amazing coaster.

The aforementioned drop tower thing.

Driving through the national park in Tenerife, it's like another world above the clouds.

Bandit actually being rough as arseholes. Genuinely don't recall it being that bad but I was in need of spinal readjustment after that hateful thing.

The ridiculous Halloween overlay of Bermuda Triangle at Movie Park. Give all the aliens cute pumpkin buckets and have them throw a little party, why not!

Matt N

CF Legend
Great topic @SilverArrow; I always love these threads at the end of a year! I'll give some answers for the ones I can think of some immediate answers for...
  • Coaster count at start of 2021: 74
  • Coaster count at end of 2021: 79
  • New coasters ridden in 2021: 5
  • New parks visited in 2021: 1
  • Park visits (number of days) in 2021: 8
  • Best new-to-you coaster: Storm Chaser - Paultons Park (#20 overall)
  • Best new-to-you non-coaster: Flight of the Sky Lion - Legoland Windsor
  • Favourite new-to-you park of 2021: Paultons Park (by default)
  • Best park visit: That's a tough one! I'm undecided between my day at Paultons Park in July, my solo day at Thorpe Park in September and my Oktoberfest visit to Alton Towers in September!
  • Biggest surprise of 2021: I was surprised by just how much I liked Paultons Park; in spite of its rave reviews, it did really surprise me!
  • Best individual coaster lap: Wicker Man on the back row, June 2021 - I was blown away by the sheer airtime and speed of that first back row ride!
  • Best new for 2021 ride: Storm Chaser - Paultons Park
  • Proudest accomplishment as an enthusiast: I took my first ever solo park visit in 2021, spending a solo day at Thorpe Park in September; I was really nervous before going, but I actually had a great time, and I felt good having done a full park day by myself!
  • Most surprising coaster: Flight of the Pterosaur - Paultons Park: I never thought this coaster looked especially interesting on POVs, but it was actually really good fun, and rode surprisingly well!
  • Funniest coaster/park/enthusiast moment: This wasn't considered very funny by some of us at the time, but looking back, I do have to laugh at when we tried to walk under Storm Surge at Thorpe Park as a shortcut and got unwittingly drenched by a boat coming overhead... that made our prior pact not to ride any water rides that day somewhat moot!
  • Most exciting announcement for 2022: I know this isn't a 2022 announcement, but I personally found the announcement of Exodus at Thorpe Park pretty exciting; I can't believe we're finally seeing the UK height record broken!
I know I haven't had the most action-packed year by some of your standards, but I'm personally quite pleased with it given we're still in a pandemic; bring on 2022, where I will hopefully be going abroad for the first time post-pandemic!

Projektion

Mega Poster
- Coaster Count at start of 2021: 160

- Coaster Count at end of 2021: 173

- New coasters ridden in 2021: 13

- New parks visited in 2021: 2 (Grona Lund, Kolmarden)

- Park visits in 2021: 9 (2 x PortAv, 1 x Ferrari Land, 2 x Grona Lund, 1 x Kolmarden, 3 x Phantasialand).

- Best new-to-you coaster: Wildfire @ Kolmarden - As I mentioned in the Last Cred Review thread just after riding it, I was expecting it to be a good ride, but I wasn't expecting that good of a ride. Incredible and the sunset/darker rides were just the cherry on top.

- Best new-to-you non-coaster: Ikaros @ Grona Lund - Best ride at Grona Lund.

- Favourite new park of 2021: Its difficult to choose between the 2. Grona lund is the more complete package, but Kolmarden has Wildfire and the incredible surrounding views from the cable car.

- Best park visit: Phantasialand for Wintertraum metting up with a load of people that's been a while in the making. Included a stay at Charles Lindbergh, plus getting to experience the debut of the new Rookburgh light show plus evac cred off Tarons FBR.

- Highlight of 2021: ^ The Phantasialand Trip

- Best individual coaster lap: FLY night ride, while the new Rookburgh lightshot was going on.

- Funniest coaster/park/enthusiast moment: I guess this counts, Getting return flights for the PortAventura trip for 2.50€.

- Most Disappointing Coaster: Insane. Disappointing may be the wrong word, but after hearing so much hype for it, I really didn't like Insane. Nothing felt fun or natural about the ride, it was like "airplane turbulence: the ride".

- Most exciting announcement For 2022: Hurricane @ Suzhou Forest World. I don't think it's opened yet and it's probably going to be 2023 before I actually get to ride it, but it's still the thing I'm most looking forward to hearing about next year.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
- Coaster count at start of 2021: 334

- Coaster count at end of 2021: 349

- New coasters ridden in 2021: 15

- New parks visited in 2021: Not including funfairs, 7

- Park visits (number of days) in 2021: Not including funfairs, 6

- Best new-to-you coaster: Hornet, Flambards

- Best new-to-you non-coaster: Water Chute, Wicksteed

- Favourite new-to-you park of 2021: Wicksteed

- Best park visit: Flambards? None were particularly spectacular this year...

- Best seasonal event: By Default, Blackpool's halloween event.

- Highlight of 2021: Wicksteed, despite having to rush round due to my own bad planning.

- Biggest surprise of 2021: A brand new travelling coaster turning up at a small fair 1/2 mile from my workplace in Buckley.

- Best individual coaster lap: Many back-to-back solo rides of Hornet at Flambards.

- Best new for 2021 ride: By default, Buckley's new travelling coaster.

- Proudest accomplishment as an enthusiast: Getting Buckley's travelling coaster (and my selfie with it) added to Coaster Count! (https://coaster-count.com/catalogue...ts-11827/gold-rush-family-rollercoaster-17913)

- Best non-park travel moment: The entirety of my May Cornwall trip.

- Most surprising coaster: Dinosaur Valley at Wicksteed. Smoother than I expected, with much better ops than expected as well

- Funniest coaster/park/enthusiast moment: Overheard 2 kids getting off Crealy's log flume, shouting towards their parents: "We're going again, we're not wet enough!"

- Most exciting announcement For 2022: Fonix, Farup Sommerland

Will

Strata Poster

I was about to write 'none' but spreadsheet to the rescue - Flambards & Llandudno Pier

Zadra

Deep Sea Adventure at Legoland and one of the ridiculously named Scaremazes at Energylandia

Flambards

- Best park visit:
GhosterForce. I could rhapsodise, but fortunately I'm feeling lazy.

- Best seasonal event:
Alton Towers Scarefest, of course. You mean there were any others?

- Highlight of 2021:
Off the top of my head, riding Detonator with Scarlet at GhosterForce - as well as picking up exactly where I left off with a few people I hadn't seen in forever at my third Live in 8 years! Also, getting to Energylandia early, standing outside and just loving being at a decent foreign park for the first time in forever. Every so often, I get those 'THIS IS WHY I DO WHAT I DO' moments, and that was definitely one for the scrapbook.

Probably Legoland Windsor having majorly upped its game since I was last there in 2012 and it being dead easy to spend a whole day there, even on my own.

Surviving the withdrawal - and also getting abroad twice during the chaos - but arguably finally getting to Flambards was the bigger achievement!

Going for a long walk and a pub dinner with Sue in November? Attending a goon wedding?
Failing that, I think I've only travelled with five goons this year (and one of those was to a petrol station) but I don't usually manage to go on a roadtrip with Tarin without something ludicrous happening. Thankfully, I haven't driven into any fields full of sheep this year.

I nearly deleted all that and just put 'Pairi ****ing Daiza' - but that was 2022 ;)

I actually really liked Spinning Racer at Fantasy Island - shame that didn't stick around. I even made a mock vlog of it!
Hornet at Flambards is also pretty good for what it is!

- Most Disappointing Coaster: Heidi at Plopsaland. Brilliant, brilliant introduction to wooden coaster for kids, but left me cold - and the throughput is horrific.

Since I think the only parks I didn't do alone were Energylandia, GhosterForce and Towers Fireworks... I'm going to go with the silly drawing game in the Inferno queue.
That and the "Please, help me!" "NO!" moment on Walking Dead.

Last edited:

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
- Coaster count at start of 2021: 108

- Coaster count at end of 2021: 117

- New coasters ridden in 2021: 9

- New parks visited in 2021: Luna Park (NYC), Deno's Wonder Wheel

- Park visits (number of days) in 2021: 11

- Best new-to-you coaster: Phoenix (Deno's)

- Best new-to-you non-coaster: Smugglers Run

- Favourite new-to-you park of 2021: Deno's Wonder Wheel

- Best park visit: SFOG Opening Day 2021

- Best seasonal event: N/A

- Highlight of 2021: P H O E N I X

- Biggest surprise of 2021: Luna Park not being as bad as everyone said

- Best individual coaster lap: Space Mountain this month

- Best new for 2021 ride: Phoenix

- Proudest accomplishment as an enthusiast: I got evac'ed finally

- Best non-park travel moment: Had someone call a very clearly high panhandler on a NJ Transit train that he has a small Superman: Escape from Krypton coaster

- Most surprising coaster: SteepleChase

- Funniest coaster/park/enthusiast moment: Getting evac'ed off Dalgona mine train and some kid puking into the final drop tunnel

- Most exciting announcement For 2022: Alabama Adventure getting a wild mouse I guess lol

Last edited:

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster

28 (WOW - for me, at least)

5 (or 6, counting Wild Adventures' waterpark separately)
Fun Spot Orlando, Dutch Wonderland, Six Flags Great Adventure, Funplex Myrtle Beach, Wild Adventures

Fun Spot Kissimmee, Aquatica, Fun Spot Orlando, Busch Gardens Williamsburg/Hersheypark, Dutch Wonderland, Hersheypark Day 2, Six Flags Great Adventure, Knoebels, Funplex Myrtle Beach, Family Kingdom, Carowinds, Wild Adventures, Wild Adventures Day 2 (at the waterpark)

El Toro (my #8 overall). In short, it's exactly what I expected (a great, fast-paced wooden coaster with some of the most powerful airtime I've ever experienced), but it doesn't beat Voyage for me. While El Toro has 4 incredible moments of sustained ejector air, I found the rest to be lacking and rougher than expected. Meanwhile, no single element on Voyage is better than El Toro's 4 ejector moments, but it keeps on hauling through one consistently good element after another - tons of airtime, laterals and tunnels over an out-of-control, never-ending ride.

Houdini's Great Escape (Six Flags Great Adventure) was my first Vekoma Madhouse, and I hadn't watched a POV or researched the ride in years. I went in with few expectations, but Houdini's subverted them and then some. While I'm sure the Madhouses in Europe are better (higher quality, more effects and elaborate stories), rocking back and forth while a whole room rotated around me was enthralling. I've never ridden anything quite like Houdini's before, and I'm glad I didn't skip it.

Six Flags Great Adventure. The park was well-kept and pleasant as a whole, with a great, diverse lineup of coasters and flat rides. El Toro was the obvious star, but I was surprisingly impressed with Nitro, and Jersey Devil, Batman and Bizarro were very solid too. I wish I could've gotten some more laps on El Toro (only did 2 before the queue got too long) and scored a true back-row ride on Jersey Devil, but I'm glad to have gotten 12 of the 13 credits.

- Best park visit:
Knoebels (June 2021). Both of my visits, this year's as well as my first time in 2017, were extremely pleasant and charming. The park holds a special place in my heart - it makes me nostalgic for a period in time I wasn't even a part of.

- Highlight of 2021:
As a whole, getting to finally experience CoasterCon - in spite of the delay - was especially fantastic. It met (and surpassed) all my expectations and excitement for the event. Ultimately, CoasterCon made my year and brightened that entire month for me. In terms of specific moments though, either getting 6 consecutive laps on Skyrush at night or riding Phoenix 21 times in one day were the most standout.

My second to last ride on Phoenix - lap #20 of the day, this time in row 3 or 4. It was close to 11:00 at night, but the station was full and every train was enthusiastic. There was something truly special about those shimmering lights atop the lift hill, darkness of the surrounding park, and the euphoric standing airtime that'll stick in my memory fondly for a long time.

Favorite that I've ridden (between Jersey Devil and Fun in the Sun): Jersey Devil
Favorite that I haven't ridden: VelociCoaster

It's still riding my 100th coaster with Phoenix at Knoebels back in 2017. Looking to reach #200 next year though... Steel Vengeance, perhaps?

Probably Nitro - it was substantially better than I expected. In spite of reviews calling it one of the weakest B&M hypers, I was very surprised to prefer it to Apollo's, Intimidator, Diamondback and even Candymonium! In the morning, with only a half-full train, Nitro delivered sustained floater on every single hill (and even floajector on the final stretch), with that helix pulling some shockingly strong and sustained positive Gs. Nitro ran just as good in the evening (if not a bit better, though the difference wasn't that noticeable), but still, I wasn't expecting those first morning rides to be nearly as awesome as they were.

Pantheon and Iron Gwazi finally opening after 2 years' delay!

Last edited:

Archie

Mega Poster
Nemesis, Oblivion, Rita, Spinball Whizzer
N/A
Oblivion
Grob Viking glider
1640214275675.png
Photo Wikimedia Commons
N/A
- Best park visit:
Alton Towers
- Best seasonal event:
Alton Towers Scarefest
- Highlight of 2021:
Going gliding
The BAE Typhoon. Which I saw in an air show. The noise is unbelievable
1640216088227.png
Photo Wikimedia Commons
Front row of the first train of the day on Nemesis
Oblivion
Pushing my extreme anxiety to the side for once and riding Nemesis, Rita and Oblivion (I know it sounds stupid but it was a hard thing for me to do and took me about 3 years.)
My first sight of the Dawlish seafront after a long and back aching journey from Paddington because GWR make there seats out of sheet steel.
1640214683700.png
Photo Wikimedia Commons
Rita because of how familiar it seemed to me considering I have never been on it. Maybe because of the fact that the winch launch is very similar to the glider launch.
I went on Galactica and had an open packet of skittles in my pocket. moment the train is tilted they fall all over the floor and I look stupid.
I have my first proper job.

Luca B

Mega Poster

PortAventura, Särkänniemi, Powerpark, Linnanmäki, Walibi Belgium

Ride to Happiness

Some sketchy flat ride at Särkänniemi

Honestly Särkänniemi, it had an amazing atmosphere, a good ride collection and an unbeatable location. Although walibi belgium is a close second.

- Best park visit:
Plopsaland for their Halloween event. I already really like the park without RTH but with a standout coaster it is so much better. It was great meeting some europeanfriends a hadn’t seen in a couple years and the whole atmosphere at night was electric.

- Best seasonal event:
Toverland Halloween

- Highlight of 2021:
There are too many, all of my trips were incredible.

Actually being able to travel.

My final front car night ride on RTH. The atmosphere for the final ride of the night was amazing, and managed to get an almost perfect spin in the best car of the ride.

Ride to Happiness, although Kondaa was also great.

Not really an accomolishment per se, but I’m really proud of how much my coaster photography improved this year.

Probably Red Force, I expected not to care for it too much, but for some reason I had so much fun on every lap.

- Most Disappointing Coaster:
F.L.Y

Almost running out of petrol in the middle of nowhere, Finland, and ending up in some petrol station in the middle of the night which looks like it hadn’t been touched since the 1950s.

Probably Aire Force One, it looks like the best 2022 coaster and I’ve already got my trip back to the US booked.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Coaster count at start of 2021:

Coaster count at end of 2021:

New coasters ridden in 2021:

New parks visited in 2021:

Park visits (number of days) in 2021:

Best new-to-you coaster:
Zadra, Energylandia - Probably little need to explain why...

Best non-new-to-you coaster:
Nemesis, Alton Towers - I have a bit of a soft spot for Nemesis generally, and it was great to be able to get back on it after several years away.

Best new-to-you non-coaster:
You know...? Nothing. I don't recall anything else new non-coaster this year that even remotely stands out.

Favourite new-to-you park of 2021:
Energylandia - I didn't love Energylandia, but it was the best of a generally bad bunch.

Best park visit:
Energylandia - Our second day at the park was amazing. It was very relaxed, fun, filled with coasters and finished up with night rides on Zadra. Couldn't really ask for an awful lot more... Maybe some gluten free beer in Poland!

Best seasonal event:
Proper theme park: Not applicable, didn't do any.
Other related attraction: FEAR at Avon Valley - Yes, it was the only one I did, but I really thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Biggest surprise of 2021:
Good: Odyssey, Fantasy Island - I headed into this thinking it was going to be shocking and, whilst it's not the best coaster going, it's actually pretty kick-ass. The first 'half' is pretty great, falls apart a bit after that, but I'll let it slide.
Bad: Abyssus, Energylandia - Laaaaame.

Best individual coaster lap:
There was a couple of noteworthy laps on Hyperion and Zadra in the drizzle - those were pretty wild.

Best new for 2021 ride:
Abyssus, Energylandia - I guess? Even though I wasn't particularly enamored by it. It's not bad, just that it should have been better.

Proudest accomplishment as an enthusiast:
#700, I suppose?

Most surprising coaster:
Wicker Man, Alton Towers - I was expecting something pretty mediocre, but it seems like I caught Wicker Man on a good day (year?) and it was genuinely very good.

Funniest coaster/park/enthusiast moment:
Getting yeeted towards Maccies on Hyperion and us all giggling like children.
Or the hateful mother in the queue for Buffalo at Drayton Manor - she was fantastic.

Highlight of 2021:
Those night rides on Zadra with @Ben, @Jake and Sam were brilliant.

Best non-park travel moment:
Had a really lovely time in Cornwall with my partner and dog. Was super chilled, lovely weather, lots of nice fresh air and scenery.

Most exciting announcement For 2022:
I'm excluding Pantheon or Iron Gwazi from this, so I'd say truly "new for 2022" would maybe be Fonix at Djurs Sommerland. It's tangibly in reach for me to ride next year, and I'm stoked to ride more of Vekoma's new stock.

Last edited:

TilenB

Strata Poster

4 parks in 3 days

Untamed

Uhh, I seriously don't think I've done anything of note that I haven't ridden before - I guess Toverland's new boat ride was kinda nice

Wildlands Emmen was the only new park that I visited in 2021. It's not much of a theme park, but I really enjoyed the 2 hours or so that we spent there

- Best park visit:
Toverland. We had a bit of a problem at the start of the day, since my friend's ticket accidentally got scanned twice and the clerk at the entrance wouldn't let him in for a bit, but other than that it was a really fun day out. There were a few school trips around for the early part of the day, but when those cleared out, all of the main rides became a walk-on. Fenix was great (easily my favorite of the 3 Wing Coasters I've done) and Troy was running even better than on my first visit in 2015

- Highlight of 2021:
In terms of parks? Not much, other than being happy to have finally gone somewhere after 2 years of nothing. Generally? Not much either, it was a crap year, in most aspects even worse than 2020, which was largely just very uneventful, but not necessarily bad per se

Troy running better than I remembered and Goliath (WH) running much worse than I remembered

Our 3rd lap on Untamed. We had the misfortune with seat assignment in that we always ended up somewhere in the middle of the train on each of our 4 rides, but it still hauled ass once it properly warmed up through the day. It was just a big shame that we got a ride on the train that just got added back before our last ride of the day

Finally doing an RMC? Yeah, that. And it obviously didn't disappoint.

Rafting on Soča river. That was definitely a really fun thing. I remember doing it on a school trip some 10 years ago, but it was nowhere near as fun as it was this year. I would definitely recommend that if anyone finds themselves in the area.

Goliath - in a negative sense

Looking forward to see what Prater is building, but we don't have any info on it yet, so can't say that. Other than that, when is that Parc Asterix coaster slated to open now? I've always thought that looked really good too. Otherwise I feel like I haven't been keeping up with the news too much recently, so there's surely something really exciting that I'm forgetting about right now

SeanC

Mega Poster
- Coaster count at start of 2021: Not sure but in the 180s

- Coaster count at end of 2021: 220

- New coasters ridden in 2021: 30+

- New parks visited in 2021: 5

- Park visits (number of days) in 2021: Too much math

- Best new-to-you coaster: The Voyage

- Best new-to-you non-coaster: Haunted Mansion at Knoebels

- Favourite new-to-you park of 2021: Holiday World

- Best park visit: Holiday World for Holiwood Nights

- Best individual coaster lap: Not sure what this means... I rode Phoenix a few times through in the rain which was dope

- Best new for 2021 ride: Velocicoaster

- Best non-park travel moment: Maui

- Most surprising coaster: Orion... just in terms of how much I loved it.

- Most exciting announcement For 2022: Wonder Woman at Magic Mountain since it's an hour from home

davidm

Strata Poster
Ok, lets give it a go while I pretend to work this afternoon....

- Coaster count at start of 2021: 1028

- Coaster count at end of 2021: 1032

- New coasters ridden in 2021: Four (an infinite %age improvement on last year) 🤣

- New parks visited in 2021: None

- Park visits (number of days) in 2021: Seven (also an infinite %age improvement on 2020)

- Best new-to-you coaster: F.L.Y. ❤️

- Best new-to-you non-coaster: Everything else about Rookburgh

- Favourite new-to-you park of 2021: N/A

- Best park visit: Phantasialand in November.

- Best seasonal event: Ghosterforce (out of a field of one)

- Highlight of 2021: Actually riding coasters again!

- Biggest surprise of 2021: Roller coasters turning up outside my workplace (not that I've been working there though)

- Best individual coaster lap: Dusk ride(s) on Taron

- Best new for 2021 ride: Croc Drop I guess (out of another field of one I think)

- Proudest accomplishment as an enthusiast: Spotting a wacky worm while on a bus across Manchester during the semi-lockdown (May) and heading back to seek it out later that day.

- Best non-park travel moment: Actual TRAVEL, actual AIRPLANE, much wow.

- Most surprising coaster: Wicker Man was more fun

- Funniest coaster/park/enthusiast moment: Vampire "fastpass" at Ghosterforce ;)

- Most exciting announcement For 2022: Fønix