What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
A recently unpopular opinion of mine is that Black Mamba is, by quite some way, my favourite B&M inverted coaster - beating out OzIris, Nemesis Inferno and Nemesis. While I understand that the non-snap of the corkscrews isn't very satisfying when you're so used to them having that snap, the rest of the ride is an awesome go-hard fest from beginning to end.

Even the first drop hits like a truck and has me shouting down it, and its integration into the terrain makes for an unpredictable layout where elements always jump in by complete surprise. And while it can rattle in the back, the ride is too much fun for that to become an issue.

I expect Black Mamba to lose its crown, but I went in expecting "about as good as Inferno, maybe?" and left with a new favourite B&M.

Me having Nemesis as my least favourite invert has already ruffled some feathers, but time to bring some new spice into the mix.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
A recently unpopular opinion of mine is that Black Mamba is, by quite some way, my favourite B&M inverted coaster - beating out OzIris, Nemesis Inferno and Nemesis. While I understand that the non-snap of the corkscrews isn't very satisfying when you're so used to them having that snap, the rest of the ride is an awesome go-hard fest from beginning to end.

Even the first drop hits like a truck and has me shouting down it, and its integration into the terrain makes for an unpredictable layout where elements always jump in by complete surprise. And while it can rattle in the back, the ride is too much fun for that to become an issue.

I expect Black Mamba to lose its crown, but I went in expecting "about as good as Inferno, maybe?" and left with a new favourite B&M.

Me having Nemesis as my least favourite invert has already ruffled some feathers, but time to bring some new spice into the mix.
Well this is awkward. I got back on Nemesis this weekend and it kind of moved up 25 spots and it's now one spot behind Black Mamba. I knew I was underrating it, and that my negative first impressions of it were a fluke.

I guess now the unpopular opinion here is me still having Mamba over it, but at least Nemesis is sitting just barely below.

Ollie

CF Legend
Unpopular opinion. But people need to take off their nostalgia goggles and get over Splash Mountain. What they've done with Tiana's Bayou Adventure that we've seen so far actually looks incredible and it's sad that it doesn't seem to be getting the appreciation it deserves because people are too busy throwing their toys out the pram and pretending to boycott Disney.

owenstreet7

Roller Poster
My unpopular/least common opinion is that The Flume at Alton Towers should've been replaced with something similar (either another Flume or a Water Coaster) over what we had with Wickerman.

I do admit, Wickerman is a fantastic rollercoaster however this would've worked in a different part of the park and it being a tad more thrilling. I just think it has a lot more potential to be a lot better than the final result.

Bonus Unpopular (but more likely recently popular) opinion - Remove Amity Beach and replace with a water ride like Biberburg 😅

BBooth2

Roller Poster
Not really an opinion as such more of an observation.

ive found over recent years that a coasters intensity and overall fun is hugely affected by the crowd noise on the trains.
if nobody is making a sound on the train it can be very dull. yet if people are screaming out it immediately creates a more fun experience.

Trax

Hyper Poster
I find it the other way, I like a good atmosphere but the screaming is annoying. I often find there's usually someone (or some group) who do the whole 'let's make everything about me' scream rather than the classic fear scream. The screams which are obviously not genuine.
100% agree. Most of the screaming nowadays is only because they want to scream. Honestly, people getting shot don’t scream half as much as those (usually) girls do.
I can only imagine that their sole goal is to either ruin the fun of everyone else, or even hurting them by screaming in their ears, or they a really in incredible agony and did not yet know that rollercoasters will cause them so much pain.

Having people scream in some pleases because of fear or surprise is something completely different. Not only are those screams half as loud, they are significantly shorter and more often then not lower pitched.

But honestly, the best rides for me are the ones where the train is completely silent. Not great to look at or film (I mean sure, you want people to make some noise), but just a relaxing experience.

Bonus shoutout to the girls screaming whenever they’re getting wet on a water ride. I wonder how much scream if they take a shower…

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I agree that some people do scream out as a bit of ‘theatre’, but some people also just scream, shriek and cheer as a way of expressing shock or excitement 🤷‍♂️

All those people collectively screaming at The Beatles back in the day weren’t doing it because they were scared or wanted to be the centre of attention: there was a ‘hive mind’ desire to shriek in excitement and it made which people felt like they were ‘part of it’. A collective experience, of sorts. Obviously it’s not exactly the same…. but I think it’s the same broad principle applies.

It can be a little overbearing at times, but s’alright! People gonna people :)

InvertsAreMyJam

Mega Poster
It’s funny because you genuinely can tell the difference between scared and excited screams. There’s just something different about the tone or pitch or something. Each train is different. Some don’t scream, some only scream with fear, some only scream out of joy, and some have a mix.

I don’t find the screams that annoying, but I imagine if you worked at the park and had to deal with that all day it would get very irritating very fast.

Sticky_T_Wicky

Roller Poster
I agree that some people do scream out as a bit of ‘theatre’, but some people also just scream, shriek and cheer as a way of expressing shock or excitement 🤷‍♂️

All those people collectively screaming at The Beatles back in the day weren’t doing it because they were scared or wanted to be the centre of attention: there was a ‘hive mind’ desire to shriek in excitement and it made which people felt like they were ‘part of it’. A collective experience, of sorts. Obviously it’s not exactly the same…. but I think it’s the same broad principle applies.

It can be a little overbearing at times, but s’alright! People gonna people :)

And when people aren't coaster nerds and rarely ride roller coasters, the forces that coasters can apply can be terrifying and in the moment, can cause one to think that a catastrophe is about to occur.

Xcelerator at Knott's is a prime example (also the last one where my ears were destroyed by some screamers)... Extremely punchy probably reasonably close to 2 G launch and strong 200 feet high airtime over the top hat with just the old Intamin T bar restraint can be terrifying.

I would prefer that it wasn't as excessive sometimes but it is something that comes with the territory.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Just going for it because a whole bunch of posters have sang its praises recently….

*puts on flame proof suit*

Taron
- what is the deal with the constant mega-praise for this?! It’s ‘good / fun’ sure but not anything close to what I’d consider ‘elite’.

So here’s a POV:

^The riders here rightly give whoops of joy at the appropriate times, like people being presented with water during a journey across the desert, but there is so. much. nothing.

Nothing happens for around half the ride (the underwhelming 2nd and 4th quarters). No airtime, no fast turns and no intensity. Mine train. It’s a ****ing mine train with a couple of bonus whizzy bits tacked on.

I was disappointed on my first visit, I’ve been disappointed on two other visits expecting to finally ‘get it’. But no. With all the universal praise, I feel like ride has deliberately gone out of its way to aggravate me and insult me. It’s the only explanation.

Very pretty area, fun ride, but easily the most overhyped coaster on the forum IMO.

Yeah, I said it. Come at me bro / bro-ettes 🦀 *flexes claws*

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Just going for it because a whole bunch of posters have sang its praises recently….

Taron
- what is the deal with the constant mega-praise for this?! It’s ‘good / fun’ sure but not anything close to what I’d consider ‘elite’.

So here’s a POV:

^The riders here rightly give whoops of joy at the appropriate times, like people being presented with water during a journey across the desert, but there is so. much. nothing.

Nothing happens for around half the ride (the underwhelming 2nd and 4th quarters). No airtime, no fast turns and no intensity. Mine train. It’s a ****ing mine train with a couple of bonus whizzy bits tacked on.

I was disappointed on my first visit, I’ve been disappointed on two other visits expecting to finally ‘get it’. But no. With all the universal praise, I feel like ride has deliberately gone out of its way to aggravate me and insult me. It’s the only explanation.

Very pretty area, fun ride, but easily the most overhyped coaster on the forum IMO.

Seek professional help immediately... :mad:

But seriously, lots of people don't seem to get it. You're not alone. Personally I don't think there's a dead moment. From the powerful first launch, to the positives G's as you sweep up under the dragon, transitioning instantly into powerful airtime, then immediately more positives with the head chopper thrown in as you dive under the structure. I love the whippy left and right transitions, the sideways ejector, the even more powerful second launch, the noises, the sights the smells...

I could go on, but it's easier to put it like this... Nemesis is applauded for that transition from positive to negative... This does that over and over. It's elements, and their opposing forces, flow into each other with perfection throughout the ride in a way I've just never experienced on any other coaster. Then to boot, they built an entire village merely as theming, because why not.

I guess ultimately, you either get it, or you don't.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster

Taron

So here’s a POV:

4 words: Wintertraum night ride :)

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Perhaps you rode it in poor conditions? My first ride on my last visit was first thing in the morning when it was -3 degrees and it was noticeably slower. Later on however, it was back to its normal self again.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
I do find Taron to be can be inconsistent tbf. When it's running a bit slower it's still very good, but more in a nice friendly/fun way. And I can see how people may find it a bit of a let down.

Sometimes though it's absolutely hauling around Klugheim and you get those twisted ejector pops 🤌