What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

RestlessRider

Roller Poster
How about this? Lightning Rod is hugely overrated.
Of the 16 RMCs I've ridden, I put LRod at #14 just ahead of Joker and Goliath. I've ridden LRod a dozen times on three different visits. I always end the ride thinking, "What am I missing?" I keep hoping my next ride will show me why everyone raves about this coaster, but that ride never comes. While other riders are whooping and hollering as the ride ends, I'm just sitting there feeling underwhelmed and disappointed. My heart isn't pounding like it is at the conclusion of other RMCs. The uphill launch, the first drop and the quad-down are fun elements, but they never really get my juices flowing. The layout SHOULD get me pumped, but for some reason it just doesn't. I still think it's a fun ride and I put in my top 40, but it doesn't come close to the adrenaline rush I get from most other RMCs.

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
How about this? Lightning Rod is hugely overrated.
Of the 16 RMCs I've ridden, I put LRod at #14 just ahead of Joker and Goliath. I've ridden LRod a dozen times on three different visits. I always end the ride thinking, "What am I missing?" I keep hoping my next ride will show me why everyone raves about this coaster, but that ride never comes. While other riders are whooping and hollering as the ride ends, I'm just sitting there feeling underwhelmed and disappointed. My heart isn't pounding like it is at the conclusion of other RMCs. The uphill launch, the first drop and the quad-down are fun elements, but they never really get my juices flowing. The layout SHOULD get me pumped, but for some reason it just doesn't. I still think it's a fun ride and I put in my top 40, but it doesn't come close to the adrenaline rush I get from most other RMCs.
It very much depends on when you rode it. Most of the enthusiasts who love it rode it prior to 2018 when it was still in it's original version. It got rougher and rougher from that point until they converted portions into the steel version we see today.
I had some absolutely incredible rides on it in 2017, fully lubed up from a day of rain it was absolutely flying and absolutely warranted a top 5 spot. I know that Snoo and some of the other americans on here had a backstage and ERT session around that time and it was universally loved. But we are seeing more and more reviews like yours nowadays, it's a huge shame.

Changa

Mega Poster
I'm sure someone has already said this, but I think SLCs are pretty great rides. Yeah they can be rough as hell, but are nothing compared to a bad woodie or arrow, and the layout is very fun! They don't really hold a candle to B&Ms, but they're good rides that allowed a lot of smaller parks to have a notable stand-out attraction.

JackFish

Mega Poster
I'm sure someone has already said this, but I think SLCs are pretty great rides. Yeah they can be rough as hell, but are nothing compared to a bad woodie or arrow, and the layout is very fun! They don't really hold a candle to B&Ms, but they're good rides that allowed a lot of smaller parks to have a notable stand-out attraction.
They do have a very good layout.

If they had Vekoma vest restraints and therefore had no headbanging they'd be fine.

Fiender

Roller Poster
If they had Vekoma vest restraints and therefore had no headbanging they'd be fine.
I've heard even the vest restraints don't fully solve the problem. The entire train needs to be retrofitted to prevent side-to-side shuffling because the wheels aren't flush with the track (and even then, the only SLC I hear is "perfect" is the morey's piers one, which was also re-tracked.).

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
I've yet to ride one but I could see myself agreeing with this take. I generally don't mind rough rides and the layouts look really solid.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
They do have a great layout and I don't think they are all as bad as others (though my first experience with one was with sunburned shoulders... 😱). I'm going to ride the OG SLC at Walibi on Saturday which has the new trains, so it will be interesting to see how it rides.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Agreed, there's obviously a point where it's crap (I think someone coined the term 'crapids' on here once, I love it) like Drayton's since it reopened. But I enjoy a rapids with a few splashes, I don't want to get soaked.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
Water rides don't have to drench you to be fun. All too often see people arguing that a water ride is crap if you're not soaked to the skin. Can't say I really understand it.
I agree, to an extent. Water rides definitely can be great without being extremely wet, but I don’t find that a water ride being extremely wet detracts from the experience. Getting absolutely drenched is great fun if you’re prepared for it.

Night rides on Popeye’s Bilge Rat Barges at IoA are absolutely glorious.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I've come to a controversial one, I think Heidi the Ride is better than Wicker Man. Okay, not better, but less overhyped and less disappointing.

Not even close for me - I love heidi almost as much as roar o saurus and wood express - maybe it's the assigned seating, but wicker man just doesn't do much for me!

and one from me - Untamed is better than Iron Gwazi.

Trax

Hyper Poster
I have a new one:
Formula Rossa > Flying Aces

Whilst Aces is objectively the better coaster, it just has a weird flow to it. Formula Rossa has this insane speed which just keeps on giving - at least in the front row.
I have to say, that prefer the speed and sustained forces on Rossa any day about the „weird“ pacing of aces.

CoasterGoji_501

Roller Poster
here an very interesting hot take

{recently/2019-now} jinma rides is a decent roller coaster manufacturer.

first of all, broken rail/tilt coaster layout KSC-24B.

when taking in acount for the layout. it is not half bad. this layout has 5 inversions and some great looking hangtime on the corkscrew into in-line twist. could be bit faster though.

next vertical/dive coasters layouts

the layout so far looks interesting and decent. noting really unique. but it looks fun and might actualy pull some forces.

now flying coaster

an actually somewhat good layout. from the one thats been built, it looks like a combo between the vekoma flying ductman and B&M flying coasters. it looks fun so far and maybe even a little forceful. overall actualy good looking

finaly, the catapult coaster.

from the one that has been built, this is looking to be jinma's best. from the one catapult coaster that has been opened, it is looking to have a veriety of different forces. it has a decently powerful looking launch, with a few inversions and even some airtime. overall this ride model looks like it could make some actually great coasters.

rob666

Hyper Poster
On a sunny, warm, windless day in good company, on a non wheel seat, with no queue whatsoever, the Big One at Blackpool can be a good fun coaster with zero pain.
We came off smiling.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Am I the only one who likes RMC trains? I've only ridden one (untamed) but those trains are one of my favorites. Comfortable, wide seats with comfy lap bar.

Being over 6 foot tall, I could have done without the shin guards but even they weren't too bad and not that noticeable once ride is in motion.

Am I the only one who likes RMC trains? I've only ridden one (untamed) but those trains are one of my favorites. Comfortable, wide seats with comfy lap bar.

Being over 6 foot tall, I could have done without the shin guards but even they weren't too bad and not that noticeable once ride is in motion.
Likewise I've only ridden one (Iron Gwazi), but I thought it was really comfy.