Mega Poster
My favourite films, have to be:
V for Vendetta
The Green Mile
Forrest Gump
Watchmen
The league of extraordinary gentlemen
TRON:Legacy

They are all in order, the top being my best one.

I know it's each to their own, etc, but that is the most generic 'favourite film' list I've ever seen. I know these films are well loved for a reason, but sometimes I just wish people would think outside the box. But of course, like I said, it's all opinion.

I don't get why one would have to think outside the box to determine what their favourite films are. If you watch it and really like it, it goes on the list. If not, it doesn't. You don't have to like a unique or "off the beaten path" film just for the sake of being different, haha. Like you said, the films on those list are well liked for a reason, and I agree with many of his.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
There's a difference though between a great/brilliant film and your "favourite". As I said earlier, I will always stop and watch Jurassic Park. I've seen it dozens of times, but I always enjoy it. However, it's not actually a great film when compared to say Citizen Kane, All about Eve or something like City of God.

A film can be entertaining, but not a great piece of cinema. What Ciall has done is list a load of great cinema and only one or two films that exist as pure entertainment (Shawshank Redemption actually fits under this, it's a rambling tale, well told, but it's just a story).

Some films can fit both categories, Oh Brother Where Art Though is a fine example of this; it's really entertaining, but also a very clever piece of cinema (Ciall sadly has a massive lack of Cohen Brothers work on his list :p ).

I think Jordan was really just pointing this out. For me a favourite film is one that you can watch over and over and always get a smile from watching. Something that you just really enjoy getting lost in, no matter how well or badly made it is.

I always love Blade Runner because it speaks to me out of time. It was a massively advanced movie when it came out and I watched it. Incredibly dark, and atmospheric. It set the scene for what I could see as a future back in the mid 80's. The soundtrack is a tingling mix of jazz and electro, the world created is believable and deep and the direction is always nothing short of brilliant. It ticks a lot of boxes for me, but only because I was there at the right time. Nowadays it's lost the edge it had, but it will always remain a favourite of mine.

^ I get your point, but if those are his favourite films, so be it. He enjoys them so people shouldn't criticize him for liking the films that are generally regarded as being great. I do know what you mean though; Labyrinth is a crock of crap to be completely honest, and Wizard of Oz isn't exactly amazing by today's standards, but both of them top my list above my third favourite film, which is the Green Mile. Green Mile is a proper good film, but Labyrinth just brings a lot of enjoyment, so it wins :p .

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I watched Wizard of Oz again over Christmas - it's actually a stunning piece of film-making for the time and a really solid, fun film too. Deserves to be in both best and favourites lists :)

nadroJ

CF Legend
What I mean is that people are aware of the 'best' films because of the status they're given as the 'best' films, which means a LOT of other films get ignored or lost in the shadows of the well known 'greats'. What I mean by thinking outside the box is trying to find films that you didn't even know existed, because there are literally thousands and thousands of films out there, a very large proportion of which get forgotten about because they don't have this status of being liked all round.

I'm not condemning anyone for liking any film, like I said, it's each to their own. But when someone proclaims themselves as a film lover and then posts a list that looks like it's been copied and pasted from IMDB's top 250, one has to question just how deep that love goes. Film is absolutely wonderful in my opinion, and part of what I love about film is searching and watching films I didn't know existed only to find that I fall in love with them.

And also, I don't watch 'weird' films just for the sake of it. I do it because it offers something different to the same formula you get with the top well known and loved films. You get different narratives, different subject matters, different cultures, different endings. Sure, it feels a bit weird when you watch a film for the first time and it doesn't end in complete and satisfying resolution as many of the top IMDB 250 do, but I find once you get out of that zone of discomfort these films offer a lot more in the way of thought and emotion than most of the 'top' films can.

Just last night I watched Grave of the Fireflies, a Ghibli film. Now, Ghibli is probably the most well-known foreign animation studio to us Westerners, and therefore holds some familiarity with those of us who have seen Spirited Away, for example. What shocked me about this film is that because Western animation is dominated by Disney, we can't help but associate animation with children's films, so when you get an animated film that tackles such subject matter as Grave of the Fireflies, I found it to be quite a shock to the system and that made the film have a huge impact on me (and I really recommend it, it's beautifully sad). But, you see what I'm trying to say, it's something a bit different, that I wasn't expecting or used to, and this added to my enjoyment of the film.

Saying all this, I still enjoy a cheesy blockbuster or chick flick as much as the next person (I love Pearl Harbour, for example). So I think the point I'm trying to make is that if you really do love film, then it is important to explore as much of it as you can, as opposed to just watching films a list on the internet tells you are the best of the best.

^ Oh, yah I see what you mean, I just thought you meant that he had to have more unique films in his top 250. If the formula film is what you're into though, then to each his own, as you said.

Nothing wrong with liking a cheesy chick flick or romance, haha. I'm guilty of liking the Notebook and Titanic :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I disagree, kind of...

I think that using a list to work out what to watch and where to expand your interest to is a vital tool.

I'd heard everyone on about Ghibli for ages for example, but I'd never really bothered with it. Then I watched Ponyo and realised what it was all about. Since then we've seen about half the films (and own three or four) including Grave of the Fireflies. However, the reason I put Ponyo on the Lovefilm list was because... It was on a top whatever list.

The issue then is that if you use the list to expand your film tastes and experience, you will just end up agreeing with the lists. Why? Simply because they're great films and there's a reason they're on those lists.

So I think lists are very important and can be used expressly to diversify tastes and introduce films/genres/producers/directors/studios that you can then expand into and enjoy. As great as Grave of the Fireflies is, is it as good as Princess Mononoke? I don't think so personally (though it's a much more emotional and evocative film). So if I had a list and wanted to include a Ghibli film, it would probably be Princess Mononoke and it would look like I was just copying a "well known internet list". In reality, it's just that it's the best film in my opinion from the studio. IYSWIM?

However, I don't think my favourite films tally with any top lists really. There may be some that would sit in both a top 250 and my favourites, but the point of a favourite is that it's something very personal to you individually. A film that after 20 years can still invoke enjoyment (which I believe Inception won't even slightly - load of bollocks that it is) after dozens or hundreds of rewatches. A film that you will always sit down and make time to watch. I think in that sense, Ciall's list fails because he's mixed up best films (in his opinion of course) and favourite films.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Yeah, I completely agree with that. I didn't mean completely disregard the lists, because like you pointed out, they exist for a reason and that reason is that they do include some of the best films, that is a fact. What my beef is with is the fact that instead of using the lists as a platform and then doing 'research' into further finding out films you like people tend to just watch the ones that the list tells them to watch, which is stupid because like this whole topic discusses, everybody has a different idea of what makes a film the 'best'.

Another example I have come across on my course is the film canon. Now these are the films that the theorists agree are the 'best' films, but if you tally up their top ten and compare it to the IMDB top ten, they're completely different. So there we have two completely different lists of top ten films, and a lot of the film canon films people won't have heard of because, unless you're into film and are aware of them, they're not in the mainstream to be considered among the rest because of their prestigious status.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think I may have a number 1 favourite film actually... Bad Taste by Peter Jackson. I finally managed to get it on DVD (European import) and it's one of those brilliant films to sit and watch with people who've never seen it.

It's ridiculously over the top in terms of gore, physical comedy and is mostly a collection of badly strung together giggle-worthy one liners. The humour is me; spot on, it's amateur and raw but it's so much fun. I've watched it hundreds of times and still love it.

Hurray for having a favourite :)

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I see your points and I was aware that my list was a bit 'boring', hence why at the end I put in films that I guess are more my 'favourites' than the list I gave as I watch them constantly :p

I just love good cinema ;)

And Phil, I've hardly seen any Coen Bros films :( I feel ashamed to say it too. I have a whole list of them awaiting my viewing though - hopefully will watch The Big Lebowski soon :D

andrus

Giga Poster
furie said:
I think I may have a number 1 favourite film actually... Bad Taste by Peter Jackson. I finally managed to get it on DVD (European import) and it's one of those brilliant films to sit and watch with people who've never seen it.

It's ridiculously over the top in terms of gore, physical comedy and is mostly a collection of badly strung together giggle-worthy one liners. The humour is me; spot on, it's amateur and raw but it's so much fun. I've watched it hundreds of times and still love it.

Hurray for having a favourite :)
Haha! Now I see what type of bloke you are :wink: But seriuosly I find it the most fun, or ironic is probably a better word, that Peter Jackson have done both Bad Taste and LOTR! Every time I watch Frodo & co I laugh a little bit inside because I can't think of anything other than decapitations and masses of blood floating everywhere.. :lol:

On to my list then :) When I think of it, I have loads of "favourite" movies. But here's some of the ones I watch the most frequently!

Ok, let's start of by saying that I'm a sucker for sci-fi movies:
Event Horizon
Alien
The Abyss
Resident Evil (only the first one, the rest is utter crap)
The Fifth Element (I'm also a sucker for Milla Jovovich <3)
District 9
Star Wars (the old movies + #3)

Then there's the rest:
Into the Wild - Epic drama that really caught me
Wall-E - Best Disney film imo, ok maybe tied with the Lion King
Hot Fuzz - Insane comedy!
The Hangover (part I) - Even more insane than Hot Fuzz!
Falling Down - Gotta like Michael Douglas in this one :p
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Non stop action comedy, Snatch is good too!
Pan's Labyrinth - Amazing saga
My name is Khan (not Dragon Khan, the Bollywood movie :p) -Very touching, beautiful but sad movie

xkirstyx

Roller Poster
jurassic park is the best film ever. It probaly comes from my obsession with dinosaurs and how the "velociraptor" in the film isnt actually a velociraptor.