What's new

Your Favourite Ever CF Lives

I think Blackpool 2016 was my first official live and it was great, especially the karaoke drag bar after, but I also had the very random experience of meeting s bunch of CF goons in the queue line for Regina at Tobu zoo in Japan the previous year, a rather incredible coincidence - it's a small world after all! Since my first live I've loved every one I've taken part in, from ghosterforce in Holland to portsventura, Poland and more! So many fun memories and friend made.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Furie - that is amazing, thanks man!

Any time, young man! ;)

I was still pretty young when I started all of this. I was only 8, but I aged to rapidly after meeting everyone... :D

I was 31 when I started on the forums and 32 when I attended my first CF-Live. I was definitely the old fart of the site at that point (actually, there were older farts, but none so flatulent as me :) ). Imagine now (and I'm looking at those who were youngsters back then) thinking 31 was ancient :lol:

Going to that first CF-Live was one of the best decisions I ever made. It's got me to all kinds of places, with some birlliant people I'll never forget. Experiences that do last a lifetime.

I never really considered joining a "proper" club. I wanted people who I could enjoy spending time with (virtually and IRL) and CF just worked. We argued and butted heads and laughed and cried together back then. It was a very human experience that TPR, RCCGB, ECC, etc. just didn't seem to be able to offer. That came across on the forums and more so at the Live events.

There is a bit of a tale to me getting involved, which includes being stuck in Widnes (my home town) for a days on end over a few weeks as my Grandad died. I spent time at my parents, waiting for news or talking to me Grandmother. She was telling me about her mother (I remember my Great Grandmother and talked with her a lot) and how she remembered Blackpool and Southport parks being built and going when she was a young lady. She used to take my Gran and my Gran took my mother. All three could never go on rides after having their first kid.

So I got fascinated in the history of those two parks, then in what was going on at Alton Towers and then it spiralled as every seacrh seemed to lead to a discussion or article on CF. Eventually, I couldn't keep out of it any longer and started to join in with the disfunctional family that was CF.

As you say Dave, it's odd how fate does these things :)

I'd just like to point out
but it was better in the old days :D

I realise this may sound like CF-Lives were better in the old days. It's not what I meant. I meant that the technology led to a different, more overarching experience of a CF-Live. I have no doubt at all that the quality of the actual experiences is as good (or better) than ever.

Gave up on clubs/forums after that and just decided I'd do things on my own, which is how I ended up at SFGAdv one day where I bumped into Ian, Jerry and Darren b (whatever happened to him btw?)

Darren B got married and had a kid didn't he? I think he had some kind of falling out with people on the forums and got a life :D

Rachel

Coaster MILF
My favourites are -

Italy 2015
I remember laying in bed the night before and thinking that going on this trip was a massive mistake haha, even though I’d done a few smaller lives already the thought of going away for a week with people I didn’t know that well felt really daunting. It was actually one of the best weeks ever, it was a small group so the week was taken at such a chilled pace and was a perfect mix of coasters, culture and amazing Italian food every night!

Ghosterforce 2017
Halloween in Europe is always a winner but I just remember loads of stand out moments on this trip, ERT on Taron at Sunset, Movie Parks amazing Halloween event, Karnan for the first time, THE DOLPHIN!!!, and loads more, just a really good couple of days at great parks with a great group of people.

Also a shout out to Sweden 2016, as a trip it absolutely flew by, but the Swedish parks are always good fun and just a great group of people again, first RMC, whoring Helix, the evening at Grona Lund, deciding not to book a hotel because we had a 6am flight (I don’t recommend!)

Now I really miss CF lives :(:(:(

Will

Strata Poster
Ahh, something pleasant to think about and take my mind off all these virus and press conferences...

I'm now twice the age I was when I joined CF and even my infamous memory isn't what it used to be, but I'll see what I can do. I think I'll stick to autobiographical order rather than doing a ranking.
Also, nice to see some amusing Furie posts again, I was only wondering the other day where you'd vanished to :)

It's fair to say I was at a bit of an awkward age in 2005 and wasn't sure quite how to fit into the group, so although I thought the Rita opening Live and American Adventure (remember that place?) were fab at the time, they're not in my all time favourites. I do have the occasional giggle remembering my ludicrous train journey to Narberth for the Oakwood Live and the camping session with Furie et al. #dontmentionthebobsled

Moving through 2006-8 and I'd found my feet more and had some good friends in Joey, Lain, peep and even Scarlet that I could faff around with at Lives.
GhosterForce 2006 and 2008 as well as Blackpool 2008 are the ones that really stand out in my memory.
Having to go down to reception in Salou and explain 'My name is Mr Steadman and I have lost my room key' wasn't quite as amusing as it seems now ;) I also remember going for a curry with Ian, John and Tanya who had recently agreed to promote me to 'semi_goon'.

Moving to the more recent past, the disastrous yet hilarious day in 2009 when Saw opened and then closed again and Thorpe was... generally Thorpe is also memorable. It was also the day I met Neal and for the next couple of years, we'd team up with Stone Cold and generally take on the world. I still read my trip report from that occasionally, just for a giggle.

I've also just remembered the laughs me and the brother (then referred to as mini_Will by a lot of you) had with furie and minor_furie at Alton that year. Particularly the story of him crawling under a car to find a cat although he never was certain why!

Like many others, I can't possibly not mention Farup My Frikadella - Lynet may remain the most I've ever laughed while riding a coaster and indeed, despite ninja beer snobs, goon_pirates, being told 'Haha... now go and apologise' and drinking too much Jager the night before Hansa Park, I think I'll always harbour some fond memories of that week. If I was to attempt a ranking, this Live would clearly stand on top of the podium singing along to the German and Danish national anthems.
The same applies to Flamingoland and LWV in September of that year. Half the trip came home talking like me, which was: funtimes.

I looked a little different by the time I rolled up to Adventure Island in 2010, which was a surprisingly fab day despite being Adventure Island and also the first time I properly met Sue. I was recently reminded that I reacted by tying her to a fence. I sometimes think it's a little sad that some of the people who did karaoke etc. at Mark & Marc's that night probably couldn't stand to be in a room with each other now.

I looked more different still at the 1970s themed Blackpool Live of 2010 - which also ranks among my all time favourites. I'm not as proud of this trip report but there is one.

Toverland (but not the rest of that trip if my memory serves me) and GhosterForce were the highlights of 2011. Dig back into history and you'll find pictures of me looking happy to be at Thorpe Park - which then happened again when the Chertsey park went through a brief peak in quality in early 2012. One More Trip Report...

Whilst nothing of note really happened, it was great to be back at a Live when I headed up to Blackpool in 2017, then spontaneously deciding to stay over for an evening of frivolity with Ian, Sue and a handful of other CFers. As an aside note, I went to an Iron Maiden gig the following evening feeling more than a little fragile!

Finally, and speaking of feeling fragile, I'd have enjoyed Energylandia in 2018 significantly more if I'd left the bottle in the Biedronka. That said, meeting some new faces as well as being reunited with some I'd not seem in what felt like forever - whilst riding two of the most impressive new European coasters of the decade helped ensure that the weekend was still a memorable one for all the right reasons (I think that RIDICULOUSLY big chicken bucket thing probably sorted me out!!)

That's enough reminiscing for now. As I've repeatedly bemoaned, I was planning to attend my first US Live at King's Island this year - but instead, every park I've been to this year has been in England and in my own company. Boo to that.

At GhosterForce 2021, I was reunited with a number of old faces that I'd drifted from. This included one of the most amazing people I've met through CF, but from whom our countless personality defects had repeatedly torn me apart. It was futile to resist that connection. It would forever be a part of me, just as much as my arms, legs and recently hairline. I hope I don't **** it up again.

Last edited:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just remembered that I spent a GhosterForce day at CWoA walking around wearing fluorescent jacket and a mullet wig. And I didn’t give a ****.

The Spanish Live we did with PAC, where I did a faffle and all the Spanish realised the prizes were ****, so they joined in with the laughing and booing. Vadge ended up translating the numbers. Sexy Carrot’s (An attractive PAC member who came dressed as a carrot) mum gave me a mock slap. It was brilliant.

The Live at Camelot when me and big John squeezed in one row of a the caterpillar cred and we each had a leg hanging out the side - they sent the ride round anyway.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Just remembered that I spent a GhosterForce day at CWoA walking around wearing fluorescent jacket and a mullet wig. And I didn’t give a ****.

The Spanish Live we did with PAC, where I did a faffle and all the Spanish realised the prizes were ****, so they joined in with the laughing and booing. Vadge ended up translating the numbers. Sexy Carrot’s (An attractive PAC member who came dressed as a carrot) mum gave me a mock slap. It was brilliant.

The Live at Camelot when me and big John squeezed in one row of a the caterpillar cred and we each had a leg hanging out the side - they sent the ride round anyway.

Omfg Sexy Carrot! Jesus Christ ?

Snoo

The Legend
Oooo man.. this one is tough. So I've been to I think EVERY single CF Live since 2006 but none with you guys abroad.

2007 was great with finally meeting Ian, CP6, UC.. some absolute LEGENDS.. was a fun first BIG CF Live.
2012 had the same feeling because I met SO many of you from the UK and we had ERT at Hershey and KD and really cemented friendships that remain strong today.

But I think my favorite would have to be Kentucky Kingdom/Kings Island in 2019 as Hyde mentioned. We had just an experience there.. from beginning to end. We met so many people, had fun at a park that I wouldn't think I would spend a whole day at. The parties were legendary. Just loved it.

Honorable mention:
2018 cuddles at CP
2010: TWO Lives with our little close knit group was great

Ben

CF Legend
I’ve been doing this **** for 15 years now there’s no way I can remember them all, and frankly, I don’t wanna remember some of them because who wants to relive their early 20s really. Off the top of my head;

- My first was Southern Slam when I was just a little, I was gonna say twink but thats defo still jailbait. I barely remember it ha
- The ****ing, gingerbread man/cruella/bloody hand on Di’s grace/finally meeting Tay GF was iconic
- Munching on toast/the meet up was at 8:45/are you a fairy/table for 24 GF in Europe was defo my fave recent live it was amazing
- Both Sweden lives were iconic but shout out to the year there was the massive thunderstorm at Liseberg and we hid under a giant Kex bar. Dan just bobbing around in the kiddie pool at Skara in the thunder as well
- Anyone remember cramming into a Travelodge next to M&Ds and getting pissed? Then we had to go back to our tent cause we were too poor for a Travelodge, lolll. Now Travelodges are too poor for me
- How **** was Oakwood? Terrible

It’s been outrageous, I’m not really sure why my parents let me start doing it at 14, can’t imagine that now, but I’m glad they did!

Hutch

Strata Poster
I've only been to one: the 2019 Live at Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World. That'll go down in the history books.

We piled 15 or so goons into an airbnb and it was non stop excitement for the entire weekend. We whored Storm Chaser, got murdered by the wave pool, took over the lazy river, received the most sunburn I ever had in my life, closed out a restaurant late at night, and multiple people got their drunk asses wrapped around the toilet seat. And most importantly, I got to meet lots of beautiful faces.

Honestly, it'll be tough to top that weekend, but I can't wait for more.

Snoo

The Legend
I've only been to one: the 2019 Live at Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World. That'll go down in the history books.

We piled 15 or so goons into an airbnb and it was non stop excitement for the entire weekend. We whored Storm Chaser, got murdered by the wave pool, took over the lazy river, received the most sunburn I ever had in my life, closed out a restaurant late at night, and multiple people got their drunk asses wrapped around the toilet seat. And most importantly, I got to meet lots of beautiful faces.

Honestly, it'll be tough to top that weekend, but I can't wait for more.

All of this. Over and over.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've actually done shamefully few CF Lives. It's never quite worked out for some reason - other travels and other commitments seem to have always put pay to my plans. That said, after going through the list I've been to more than I thought - brought back some great memories. I won't pick favourites, that wouldn't be fair, but some highlights of mine (with some of the group photos nicked from the server too):

Oakwood 2008 - Oakie Kokie III: My first CF Live! Also my wettest. I remember ERT on Megafobia and what must have been close to hypothermia. What an intro to a great group of people though! I'd been on the forums for a couple of years at this point, and was finally old enough that my parents were willing to let me go off for the day with you lot.

Thorpe & Chessington 2008 - GhosterForce V: The legendary GhosterForce. Night rides, glow sticks, fancy dress, these Lives have it all!

Paultons 2009: This was a simple and quiet one-day-er, but I recall have a nice time in the sunshine, so no complaints there.

Midwest USA 2010 - Shuckin' Escapade: Blimey, this must be up there as one of the most ambitious Lives yet. With a few add-ons before/after we ended up doing about 18-19 parks in 14 days. Went from having a modest 70ish creds and nearly trebling it in one season. It was my first time meeting the Americans (and Tay), and it was an absolute riot. I'm not sure I have it in me to do that sort of trip again, but man it was good.
WoF2010.jpg

Alton 2011 - Midland Mayhem IV: My only Live that I attending while I was at university. Life was a busy ol' time back then. It's nice doing parks you've done dozens of times as a CF Live. Takes the pressure off.

Tayto Park 2015 - Coaster Craic: Morning ERT on the woodie, a crisp factory tour and four different types of cooked potato for lunch? What more could you want?

Paultons 2016: Paultons is never a stressful day out, and with a group of CFers it's a joy. I remember the weather being lovely, the day being chilled out, and the company being excellent. What more could you want, really?
Paultons2016.jpg

USA 2016: This was a short USA Live, relatively speaking, what I managed to sandwich into a much longer USA trip. Picked up some amazing coasters along the way, and of course many happy memories!

Thorpe 2019 - Swarming Up For The Season: First Live of the year, first visit back to Thorpe for me in 5+ years, and Thorpe was on top form.
Thorpe2019.jpg

Blackpool 2019 - Maximum Pleasure: Another beautiful day (UK Lives seem to get more sun than rain, maybe it's me?) at another great park. Monica's first Live too, which I'm grateful to you all for making her feel so welcome.

2020 was shaping up to be an excellent year for CF Lives... then Corona happened... :(

There have also been some 'unofficial' CF Lives over the years, which I feel do warrant a mention. These are trips that have either started as Lives and ended up being 'downgraded' for one reason or another, or are trips that in hindsight could easily have been marketed as Lives from the get-go.

Texas 2013: The final big coaster trip I did after finishing up my time in Madison, we all jumped in a car and headed from Ohio to Texas and back. At the time, riding these new fangled "RMC" things. Whatever came of them...? ;)

Port Aventura 2017: Horrendously cold night rides on Shambhala, excessive alcohol and all-round-good-natured winter coasting.

Cedar Point 2018: Sure we added Conneaut Lake, Sylvan Beach, Seabreeze (which was actually fab) and Darien Lake, but it's all about the big boy. Two days in the park, with only a handful of 'new' creds to get, lead to two of the most fun Cedar Point days you can have. Just riding, and re-riding, some of the biggest and best in the world.

It's funny - I know I've done all these trips (and many many more with CFers that aren't on this list), but I've never taken the time to step back and think about each of them one-by-one again. The memories flooding back from all these trips. The friendships formed across continents, the experiences shared. What a privilege to be part of this. Thanks everyone. <3

- The ****ing, gingerbread man/cruella/bloody hand on Di’s grace/finally meeting Tay GF was iconic

It’s been outrageous, I’m not really sure why my parents let me start doing it at 14, can’t imagine that now, but I’m glad they did!

OMG I was so ****ing intimidated on that GF Live. I met so many people that day that I had been talking to for ages and it was scary but fab at the same time. The ORP on Saw with Gingy was amazing hahaha.

Also yeah wtf, I went to my first CF Live when I was 13. Wtf! Amd my first overnight one at like, 15 or something? I'd laugh in my sister's face if she ever asked me to do any of these things! Such STRANGER DANGER.

Reactions: Ben

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
...my first overnight one at like, 15 or something? ...
I remember speaking with your mother about the overnight trip and reassuring her that I would look after you. I think that I was there with Aidan was the only reason she let you go. That one was fine, it's the ones that followed that she should have been worried about. ;)

I remember speaking with your mother about the overnight trip and reassuring her that I would look after you. I think that I was there with Aidan was the only reason she let you go. That one was fine, it's the ones that followed that she should have been worried about. ;)

Haha I do remember that phone conversation! Oh God that seems like so long ago now. My mom knew what shenanigans I was getting up to, thankfully she was cool about it and let me go on more trips :p She was just happy I didn't get kidnapped or in a car accident.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Funnily enough I haven't actually been on that many Lives, especially in the last few years, the dates always seem to clash with when I have my little ones and while I can drag the 9 yr old to most places, the 6 year old is too small and afraid unfortunately.

Fortunately, the Lives I have been on have all been brilliant.
The first one that @furie correctly mentioned was back in 2013 for the Smiler opening where I was called Delmonte all day. ****e weather but we still had a great time. I think it's still the only time I've met @Pierre ? Good introduction to the goons I felt.
I attended a couple of Ghosterforce meet ups around that time, when Thorpe did Cabin the the Woods, bloody loved that maze.

2016 was the big year, doing both Sweden and GhosterForce (Was it the first European GF?)
Sweden was everything, we had this amazing little log cabin our first night and me, @Ian @Serena and Darren(who gave up goonery when he met a girl, which he has since split up with but met someone else and they have a bubba together #ahhhhhh) squeezed into this tiny room with the bathroom in the owners house. It was fab. There was a frog which scared Serena silly iirc.
Liseberg still ranks up there as one of my fave parks, Hotel Gasten and the obvious Helix night ride front row were the massive highlights. I still remember @nadroJ and Conor handing out chocolate to all the kids in the queue for the dark ride which was really sweet.
Skara's water-skiing was hilarious, @Ben being my favourite failure, does anyone have any video of that?
Grona Lund was brilliant as well, specifically for the group stuff. The funhouse being the best part for sure, but the ERT on Twister was great, the whole day was relatively faff-less as well.

But GhosterForce 16 is probably my fave Live event, so many incredible memories;
Walibi's Halloween event was incredible, Xpress Platform 13 surprising first timers, the scare zone areas with the FIRE!, the chillout area where Jake decided to get disgustingly drunk, Chucky chasing the girls, a certain person blousing out on the Clinic ;), the love everyone had for Lost Gravity, the hate for Condor, the big green monorail and getting @shaunthatkid into the restraint. Great day - long day, but so fab.
We had the CD's that @ATTACKHAMMER mentioned for this trip, I still have mine somewhere, I'll have to dig it out, and we were told to listen en route to Toverland.
Which was a good day for sure, Toverland is a perfect CF park, loads of silly kids stuff to do like getting people stuck on a pond, @Mysterious Sue totally stacking it on the roundabout, making @Jordanovichy do an obstacle course on the indoor play area to get his bag back. Only with CF. @Lofty and I totally gooned out on Dwervelwind, which is rare for such normalies as ourselves.
Phastasialand totally smashed it though. As per usual it was incredible, but it's so much better with virgins who get to experience it all for the first time. Back row mine train airtime, Chiapas dancing, the wonder of Talocan's fire, Winja's, Maus competitions (I still have the broken watch for winning that one), munching on toast, @jayjay stacking it outside Hotel Ling Bao after Dragon bar antics and Taron. That Taron ERT is still one of the best experiences I've ever had, @Ben and @Jordanovichy kept me company all the way to the last train just constantly cycling while it battered us. Everyone was in love with it during that hour, the excitement on every single face was something I haven't seen before or since.
Efteling, amazing Baron misty entrance aside, unfortunately was summed up very well by @ATTACKHAMMER "I thought Efteling was going to be really nice and well themed but actually it's just kids catching things out of a donkey's anus".

Portaventura 17 was really fun, spent a lot of time with some new for me people including @Rachel and @Hixee, which was great as he's a thoroughly nice fellow and getting to know @Tomatron and Liz better. Shambhala wasn't running great and Baco is a POS in the back row but Red Force was good. This one was definitely more about spending time with people than anything.

I think that was the last European live I went on apart from Blackpool 2019, which was again a fab people one, still can't believe Mushy stole my back row Icon.

But I did attend the 2018 US Live at Cedar Point. That was a incredible mix of an amazing park, awful weather and perfect people.
The damn cuddles in the Lighthouse Point place @Snoo and the US guys had rented is as much of a memory of whoring Steel Vengeance with @Howie and @davidm. Everything about those 2 days was brilliant, and only comes 2nd in my fave's due to GF16 being utterly ridiculous.

That was a lot longer than I anticipated.
TDLR - Lives are good. Go to one when possible.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Honestly, I think my first GhosterForce Live was fab. @DelPiero brung the Chocolate Sweets of Doom one of them was either a Strawberry or a Brussel Sprout the look of amusement and disgust on some people’s faces.

Every single one I’ve been to has been fab I think the one I’ve enjoyed the most was Thorpe 2019.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Honestly, I think my first GhosterForce Live was fab. @DelPiero brung the Chocolate Sweets of Doom one of them was either a Strawberry or a Brussel Sprout the look of amusement and disgust on some people’s faces.

Every single one I’ve been to has been fab I think the one I’ve enjoyed the most was Thorpe 2019.
Oh yeah that was a good one, loads of people dressed up that year too. Sprouts were awful, I haven't made them again ?