What's new

WTF Merlin?

He just needs to get a life and realise Towers is a bit ****.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

So Thorpe are planning on making Containment permanent - http://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/2 ... -Permanent

Even if I don't always agree / like every addition Thorpe make to their line up, I usually can see why they decide to add something. But this, I just don't get? Scare attractions have never really been popular outside of Halloween at the Merlin parks, so why will this one be any different?

Martyn B said:
^ Sarcasm?

Saw Alive didn't last long at all, have they like, forgotten about that?

Absolutely sarcasm, not only have they apparently forgotten about the scare maze they already have but they've also further alienated the family market that I thought they were trying to recapture!

I guess the idea will be to charge for this and it will need a lot less people interested in it (much lower capacity) to be successful.

I don't think it's that dumb to do it at least for a year or so.

In the latter part of the last decade, Disney World was more-or-less content with what it had and became flaky in regards to building additional large-scale, high-quality attractions, the same way Merlin seems to be acting in Britain now. Then, down the road in Universal Orlando, Harry Potter opened and upped the theme park game in Orlando. That strong local competition basically forced Disney World to respond first by expanding Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom and then form plans to build a whole Avatar section in Animal Kingdom (and of course a new land in Hollywood Studios about a certain big-name scif-fi film franchise).

That's the key to getting Merlin off their butts: competition. Either bring in one of the other international park chains to establish a presence in Britain, who will compete with Merlin on their level, or unite a handful of the large non-Merlin parks in Britain and form a new British-based chain of parks. That kind of competition is something that Merlin would not be able to ignore.

I don't know if this has been posted in another topic but... Ripsaw has finally been replaced by a game:

niKVBcQ.jpg

I am so sad to see such a great flat ride replaced by a midway game...

Source: TowersTimes

I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been filled up with all the ridiculously over the top fencing that Merlin are adding to every park this year!

^ I think we all got bored of Merlin fencing after Chessington built Pufari. That stretch between Rameses and the ride entrance is like being inside an actual tree.

Also, H&S has also gone a bit mad at Legoland, with ride ops saying "you're secure" to each person when they check lap bars....

^ The ****? How kind has that been 'in' for?

What happened to the days of ride staff joking and saying "There's something wrong with that restraint" to the one clearly terrified? Oh how we laughed…

Lofty said:
^ The ****? How kind has that been 'in' for?

What happened to the days of ride staff joking and saying "There's something wrong with that restraint" to the one clearly terrified? Oh how we laughed…

It's ridiculous isn't it! The amount of times I've seen the staff at Alton Towers have to explain that the ride is safe to a scared guest it but beyond a joke, let them be bloody scared. The only park I know where the ride ops still have a laugh and a joke with guests is Pleasure Beach. All the other parks seem to frightened of saying anything that might be taken wrongly in the slightest.

That doesn't sound like H&S to be fair, but yeah, more to reassure people.

You're secure is reassuring, I think it'd be 'You secure?' if it was for H&S.

So silly regardless. I prefer the ignorant checking or light flick of restraints that are provided at most other places in the world

Can't beat the awkward brushing of the op's hand on my leg as they check the restraint on the kiddie cred I'm shamelessly whoring.