What's new

WTF Merlin?

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Used to be quite common to pay for toilets in The Netherlands. I remember Efteling had that about 13-14 years ago. Pretty sure it has all been done away with in theme parks at least.

Much rather pay higher entry fee than all that kind of stupid nonsense. Regardless, change / coins is a thing of the past in a post Covid world.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I think it opens a wider conversation on waste in parks in general. I love parks, I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't, but they're probably one of the most wasteful things we do at the moment. By this, I mean bins full of plastic cups, single use cutlery and other plastic crap that belongs back in the 90s. I'd love to see more parks invest in an on-site bioreactor facilitating the proper rollout and disposal of veg-ware in place of single use plastic in place today.

I seem to remember Merlin in 2019 (maybe even early 2020) committing to removing single use plastic within a couple of years. But, like with many places, seem to have taken a step backwards because of challenges from Covid, and finding it much more convenient to use single use products. Hopefully it is something that they can refocus on, and refocus on quickly, in the coming months.

What's the quality of the map like? I wouldn't mind paying £3 for a souvenir map if it was a reasonable size on decent paper/card stock, but I'd be pretty miffed if I got a regular old map for the price!
Here's a photo, from Theme Park Guide:
67_2021-04-121618223097.3456330778957.jpg

So looks to be the same sort of standard as any other year.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Wow! A map that size printed in large numbers would cost Merlin about 2p each at most. Selling them for £3.50 is seriously taking the piss.

Professor

Also is the park map price only at Chessington and not at Thorpe and Towers? What kind of "Environmental friendly" logic is that anyway.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Maps shouldn't be sold.

Welcome staff should actively inform guests about their online map function, which encourages APP DOWNLOAD!!! *erhhmmm* Theres literally a QR card that staff could have where you can tap onto a phone and the phone will download an app without even going to the app store... If a guest still wants a map, send them to guest services where they can pick one up.

The team at Merlin, and their park management seem to be getting more and more dumb - it's apparent that the wrong people are being either hired or promoted. They think they're gonna make their money on markup and disguise it as "going green", no. You're not the Mayor of London trying to introduce Congestion Charge, ULEZ and breathing oxygen charge... Work your loss-leader and direct them to an app where you can MARKET.

Will

Strata Poster
^
Ah, well remembered. That needs to go in the middle drawer before it gets ruined in my pocket :D

I don't see that as being any more harmful to the environment than anyone who bought a newspaper this morning.

Professor

What is it with Merlin only going for new IPs for their two biggest theme parks created by men born in 1971? Charlie Brooker, Derren Brown, David Walliams.

I sense a conspiracy.

I also sense a lack of inspiration from Merlin as I'd rather see original themed stuff which the parks have previously demonstrated to be quite good at (The Swarm / Nemesis / Oblivion. I also like the Stealth area with radio stuff.)

Of course Wicker Man is the exception and is ultra awesome theming in my opinion. Where they took an idea and just made it timeless.
At least that movie came out in 1973, however I just read the idea for the movie began in 1971!

WTF Merlin?!

🤔

Last edited:

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
If it helps your conspiracy, the ride is not themed to the film IP. It's themed to the general legend the film also took inspiration from.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
They've activated the island return guarantee now, you know it's a **** show then they're giving out free return tickets.

Something needs to change in Merlin's maintenance culture, surely this costs them more than they save? This must be a false economy, surely?

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
More broken down, Storm Surge was quite enjoyable today though. Can't fault the staff for any of this, they're clearly doing their best with the resources available.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Saw: Down.
Colossus: Down
Rush: Down
Quantum: Down
Swarm: Just got back up.
Rumba: Down.

Can we just have ONE Thorpe visit where we aren't walking from break down to break down?

Such a shame, a mere 2 weeks ago I posted in the 'Yay Merlin' thread about how smoothly the place seemed to be running. Had an awesome day.
I had kinda hoped that it signalled the start of a glorious new era for our favourite island... but deep down in my heart of hearts I just knew it had to be a fluke.
Hope your day gets a bit better dude.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Such a shame, a mere 2 weeks ago I posted in the 'Yay Merlin' thread about how smoothly the place seemed to be running. Had an awesome day.
I had kinda hoped that it signalled the start of a glorious new era for our favourite island... but deep down in my heart of hearts I just knew it had to be a fluke.
Hope your day gets a bit better dude.
Yeah, I read that TR and I blame you for the false hope ;)

It's now worse, Swarm the only major ride open. Admittedly, some of this is down to wind but not all of them.