What's new

worst/best sponsorship

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Rides get sponsorships, never really a good thing. What's the best and worst you seen?

For me probably the imperial leather sponsor on Bubbleworks.

Auraofshadows

Roller Poster
The best I have seen would probably be Tidal Wave sponsored by Dr Pepper. It doesn't subtract from the overall look of the ride. Just a few decorations in the queue and the repainted roof of the bridge.

The worst that I have seen has got to be Oblivion when sponsored by Fanta.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Not a ride specifically, but When Kodak was sponsoring attractions at Epcot they nixed the planned coaster since it would've been named the same thing as a major competitor :(

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Auraofshadows said:
The best I have seen would probably be Tidal Wave sponsored by Dr Pepper. It doesn't subtract from the overall look of the ride. Just a few decorations in the queue and the repainted roof of the bridge.
I didn't even realise that Tidal Wave was sponsored by Dr Pepper.

Tetley sponsoring the teacups at Thorpe is apt, subtle and unobtrusive. I like that.

I never understood why Skips sponsored Dragon's Fury at CWoA.

I think the Imperial Leather improved the Bubbleworks (minus the station music) and The Flume at Alton Towers. I love the duck music in the queue line and the big duck in the tunnel was fab.

Sponsorship isn't a bad thing if it's done sensibly and improves the ride. At the end of the day it brings in extra cash that could lead to better ride upkeep and/or investment. I can't think of any rides that scream out sponsorship, maybe that's because I have an amazing ability to tune out to advertisements.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I know Disney has done a few sponsorships over the years, which have actually integrated with the parks pretty well. I remember seeing a Kodak piece on the pink Epcot pavement, and how studies showed that the pink helped enhance photo colors in the park. Energizer sponsored Star Tours for the longest time, and had a funny poster series at the exit queue showing the energizer bunny footprints going through the history of time (going and going and going and...).

The WORST sponsorships are train decal sponsors. We saw a slew of these with Six Flags, with hideous pastel colors slapped on coaster trains.

SFGAM-8-5-2011-Demon-1.jpg

SFGAM-8-5-2011-Demon-2.jpg

Blegh!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Probably. There was a hair gel sponsorship with Viper at SFMM as well. Gratefully the "stickered" train was not in operation the days I visited. ;)

Auraofshadows

Roller Poster
Ian said:
Auraofshadows said:
I didn't even realise that Tidal Wave was sponsored by Dr Pepper.

Yeah, it got sponsored in 2010.
1_0000_splashzone_3a.jpg

Snowman

Roller Poster
I remember Stride sponsoring the El Toro trains when I visited. I don't really dislike sponsorships and it doesn't really bother me, so I wouldn't really say it was a "worst", just something that existed.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I like the Dr Pepper sponsorship on Tidal Wave, I like the Imperal Leather on The Flume and Bubbleworks. I hated the Fanta sponsorship on Oblivion.

BBH

Giga Poster
Hyde244 said:
I know Disney has done a few sponsorships over the years, which have actually integrated with the parks pretty well. I remember seeing a Kodak piece on the pink Epcot pavement, and how studies showed that the pink helped enhance photo colors in the park. Energizer sponsored Star Tours for the longest time, and had a funny poster series at the exit queue showing the energizer bunny footprints going through the history of time (going and going and going and...).

The WORST sponsorships are train decal sponsors. We saw a slew of these with Six Flags, with hideous pastel colors slapped on coaster trains.

SFGAM-8-5-2011-Demon-1.jpg

SFGAM-8-5-2011-Demon-2.jpg

Blegh!

Was just about to post that. Absolutely horrid.

got2b glud slapping everything on Vertical Velocity isn't that welcome, either.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I find blackpool rides are very subtly sponsored. Pretty much everything is sponsored but hardly noticeable. The most noticeable is the Pepsi Max Big one.

Worst has to be either the train advertising or the Oblivion Fanta.

Nic

Strata Poster
Hyde244 said:
Probably. There was a hair gel sponsorship with Viper at SFMM as well. Gratefully the "stickered" train was not in operation the days I visited. ;)
Yeah, that one was pretty bad, but I actually quite liked the ones they had on Apocalypse's trains. I can't remember what it was for, some TV show I think, but it kinda fitted with the theme of the ride including the colourings etc.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Thekingin64 said:
I find blackpool rides are very subtly sponsored. Pretty much everything is sponsored but hardly noticeable. The most noticeable is the Pepsi Max Big one.

Worst has to be either the train advertising or the Oblivion Fanta.
How did I forget Oblivion...
Thank God the park operators saw the horror and took it down.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Thekingin64 said:
I find blackpool rides are very subtly sponsored.
How could I forget Blackpool?

There's the Tango Ice Blast, PMBO (or so it used to be) Irn Bru Revolution (as it used to be).

I think the difference between Blackpool and the other parks is PBB always called their rides with the sponsored names from the start. It wasn't a case of sticking on a few fizzy drinks stickers and be done with it, the brand is an integral part of the rides name.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Nic said:
Yeah, that one was pretty bad, but I actually quite liked the ones they had on Apocalypse's trains. I can't remember what it was for, some TV show I think, but it kinda fitted with the theme of the ride including the colourings etc.
I do remember there being a TV show advertised in the queue, but it gratefully blended with the Armageddon theme.

It is ironic however, as Apocalypse itself was originally an advertisement for Terminator: Salvation! :roll: