What's new

World's Loudest Coaster?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Simple one: What's the loudest, noisiest coaster you've ever been on?
And I wonder if there's any official data on this? Decibel level must surely be a health & safety issue, as well as an environmental issue, are there any actual limits in place with regards to noise levels?
Anyways, I reckon Raptor at Cedar Point has got to be in with a shout. It's that familiar B&M roar turned up to the max. Ain't no sand in them tracks, man! Conversation anywhere near Raptor when it's running is nigh on impossible. It's awesome! 😁

I suspect most answers here will involve either large scale B&M's or particularly rattly woodies. I seem to remember old skool Gwazi was a bit deafening.
Troy - there's another one, those station fly-throughs are loud as hell!
But I'm sticking with Raptor as my answer.

Any others?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I haven't ridden it but Maxx Force's launch is ****ing loud. Sounds like someone firing a cannon.

I think a lot of older B&Ms should be on this list, including Nemesis.

Heth

Mega Poster
I guess different things can be loud. The track and vehicles being loud is different to the chain lift or launch being loud.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Never heard them in person but TTD/KK on video sound outrageously loud.

I'm trying to think of when I've actually been aware of a coasters noise and it isn't half chucking up some nostalgia. Oblivion as it enters the hole, Joris as it flies through the station, Red Force at the end of the launch.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Simple one: What's the loudest, noisiest coaster you've ever been on?
And I wonder if there's any official data on this? Decibel level must surely be a health & safety issue, as well as an environmental issue, are there any actual limits in place with regards to noise levels?
Anyways, I reckon Raptor at Cedar Point has got to be in with a shout. It's that familiar B&M roar turned up to the max. Ain't no sand in them tracks, man! Conversation anywhere near Raptor when it's running is nigh on impossible. It's awesome! 😁

I suspect most answers here will involve either large scale B&M's or particularly rattly woodies. I seem to remember old skool Gwazi was a bit deafening.
Troy - there's another one, those station fly-throughs are loud as hell!
But I'm sticking with Raptor as my answer.

Any others?
I'd put Rougarou a click ahead of Raptor. Those early B&Ms are absolute reverberating noise machines with no sound dampener. The urban legend for Rougarou at opening (when it was originally to be named Banshee) was to have the tracks be apart of the theme, having "screaming" track. And hey! Banshee at Kings Island has a scream sound effect at the top of the hill... so it must be true. ;)

Indoor coasters also get honorable mentions. Disaster Transport, Flights-o-Fears, Space Mountains all have some noticeable track whir when listening outside.

I'd probably have to say Wodan, specifically the station flythrough.
I was gonna suggest the "GCI Flythrough" in general as an audible assault on the ears. Fun feature, especially for the unsuspecting guest in queue.

Matt N

CF Legend
I seem to remember Mine Blower at Fun Spot Kissimmee being pretty loud; it makes a very unique clattering noise as it goes round the track:

Will

Strata Poster
Another vote for the intamin reverse freefalls - I know Tower of Terror 2 isn't around anymore, but you couldn't hear yourself think in the queue line's tunnel!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Agree with the likes of Colossus and Intamin accelerators being up there.

I also imagine that the original Psyke Underground was very loud, from the (admittedly low quality) videos I've seen and the fact they had to eventually fully enclose it too.

Also a shout out to Vampire at Chessington. The second lift hill in particular is gruesomely loud.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
^
I think dragon's fury's alignment gate and the final brakes are far worse. Cut right through you with their hisses.

But also on Vampire when the break cylinders pop their nuts in the station, that is most certainly the loudest noise I have ever heard on any ride ever.
Also it's transfer track switching over. Big old thud.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
I'm also voting for Superman at SFMM. It literally sounds like a jet plane taking off, and if you're unfortunate enough to be walking right under it on a launch, it's a serious blast to the eardrums.

As I seem to recall, SFMM deliberately made it loud. It was a conscious decsion to make a ride that could literally be heard anywhere in the park.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Rollercoaster/Nick Streak at Blackpool is pretty noisy, especially the drop and turn near Revolution. No idea how people can stand to sit in the old beer garden!