What's new

Wings3D, Help thread (NL)

A

Anonymous

^ The pipes looks really good!

But I have no idea on how to fix the texture list, the best way would be to post about it on the Wings3D forum, and then they might fix it for an upcoming release, or you could get a larger screen :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Hurray. I finally found something Loefet can't answer. :p
Would it work if I export the model into a fresh wings file?
That was the texture pallet should be refreshed or would that not work as they won't be in the outliner?
Or would it carry them across but not appear when you go to add a new texture off that list?

Hope you understand what I'm trying to explain here as I'm probably confusing you. :p

A

Anonymous

^ You could "fork" the object, and in the new one remove all the textures that you won't use on that part of the object, and then merge them again into 1 wings file.

Ollie

CF Legend
So you're saying to make parks of each of the 3ds in different files?

Such as the outside area in one, The ride exterior in another and the ride interior in the last?
The put them together in the sim.

A

Anonymous

^ I say that you should split the object in wings and then you can use the merge option in wings and make them into a single object again, unless you want to have multiple objects in NL.

Ollie

CF Legend
How would I go about doing that?
I think the reason there's so many textures was because I imported the blades over into the other one and for the metal texture for the beams I think it split it up into lots of different textures of the same texture.
I have no idea what to do now lol. I can't add textures if I can't click the ok button. :p

A

Anonymous

If you have multiple versions of each texture, then I would recommend you to remove all duplicates. You might have to redo a lot of the texturing, but it might be worth it for you.

Anyway, what I meant above:
First you should save the whole thing as a new file.
Then remove all objects/textures you are not going to use for what you are doing.
Then when you have completed that section, merge it back to the original file.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just deleted the area around the ride and saved the station as a separate file. Then I went through and deleted all the objects and textures in the list of the stuff that wasn't there anymore and now it's much smaller.
I'll just have to do the ride in sections and join them together in another file as I do them. :)

Ollie

CF Legend
We have do every now and then. I usually only post in here if I'm offline or Loefet isn't on MSN.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just a quick question about modelling but it's not about Wings.

I know Wings can't create objects that move. But can other programs make them and most importantly. Can you import models that move into NoLimits.
I say this as I want my blades to spin on my Saw rec.
If it's possible is there any other free modelling programs similar to Wings that allow me to make such a thing?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^No. NL only supports 3Ds files, which cannot be animated.

Ollie

CF Legend
^I swear I saw a video of someone's coaster (before I got NoLimits). Where he had doors that opened for the coaster.
And there's this guy on Youtube making models saying he's using it for his next NL project and they're animated.
Thanks for sorting that out though. :)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It is, in theory, possible to make objects that appear to move, when seen from one angle. But that requires a lot of knowledge on perspective, and lots of transparency and such. You could start experimenting, and read lots on the subject, who knows what you'll be able to make one day?

Ollie

CF Legend
Is there a way to have a wall, And use another cube to push through the wall or something to make a hole that shape without messing up the textures.
Hope you get what I mean.