Votes: 36 46.2%
  • Maybe, unsure for now

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Now way!

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
As a gay person - I'd have to think carefully! And acknowledge that I'm quite hypocritical i.e. I really want to do all the Poland creds, and really want to visit Puy de Foy despite being run by right wingers ....oh and do the Sea Worlds despite not agreeing with large aquatic animals in captivity.... so you know.....I'm a stupid human!

You’re not a stupid human. You’re just a human.

Merely engaging in society involves ‘participating’ in things that we might morally object to if we really thought about it. Engaging with society is necessary for a balanced human experience.

So, in regards to your comments here, go easy on yourself and draw your own lines based on your perception of differences, any nuances and what you think is reasonable, whilst simultaneously being kind to yourself and allowing yourself to enjoy the things you reasonably enjoy.

When there is a conflict of thought and you are in doubt (a common tragedy of life!) then we should: reflect, be curious, investigate, learn and also perhaps seek the opinions and wisdom of others as part of our consideration process (being open and curious to the opinions of those that you don’t immediately agree with). But when it comes to actually making your own decisions, don’t be overly influenced or concerned on what others might think. The fact that you have spent time and energy challenging yourself is evidence that you are someone that cares.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It's a question I've been thinking about for a while now, and I still don't have a definitive answer.

In terms of practicality, I could go. In that, if I wanted to, I could save up and afford it, have the time to, etc.
I also about interested in visited SFQ.

I'm in a situation where, under the laws of Saudi Arabia that I'm aware of, I should have no issues visiting the country. Straight, male. In general, I'm in a privileged situation on that front.

But here's the thing, I am quite ignorant on the Saudi Arabia front. I'm aware of some of their laws regarding LGBT and women, which I disagree with. I'm also aware it's a completely different culture. I'm also aware that the country are trying to progress and develop on the worldwide stage, and that there are many claims of sportswashing against them.

Beyond that though, I simply don't know enough. It is not fair or right of me to make a judgement on whether I would go to the country or not.

If/when SFQ - and specifically Falcon's Flight - nears completion and the idea of visiting becomes a more tangible prospect, that's when I'd start doing some more research. I'd judge whether I feel okay visiting the country based on where it's at and where it's going.

What I do know is that if I ever was to visit, I wouldn't visit for long. It would purely be for SFQ, maybe another park if there's anything nearby, and that's it. That's purely how I roll with these things. Especially with a country whose weather climate is known to be hot.

So yeah, tl;dr - Maybe for now, pending more research.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd probably go if it made sense as part of something else - but I find it hard to imagine I'd go out of my way just for it.

Though depending how many days this coaster will probably operate for, it's temping to go for the exclusivity... :D

Christian

Hyper Poster
I have been planning an Saudi trip for a while now. If this park is open, it will just be the icing on the cake. No drinks, no pork and no sex. I can easily survive that for a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to this trip.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
No, doubt it, doesn't look like it'd be a fun experience tbh.

If I'm paying that much to travel, I wanna have fun, walk outside without melting, ride coasters without being sandblasted, relax in the evening with a nice NEIPA and travel with people I love and enjoy being around, regardless of their sexuality.

All of this is against their culture, fair enough, that's fine by me, and it's their country. But if you want to be a tourist hot spot, and invite people in, then you also have to be able to tolerate your guest's cultures. Look at London, NYC, and other successful tourist zones as an example of how that works. There's even examples of other predominantly Muslim countries, that wanted to increase tourism, who understood this to an extent, (Sharm? I haven't been, but I believe it's far more tolerant of western culture? Turkey? I have been there, thanks for the reminder Furius!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dar

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
So this post is going to be a mess. But this is from a perspective as a fairly young 21 year old gay man.

I personally do not have any problems with Muslim countries, countries like Turkiye are places i would visit in a heartbeat. Being gay there is a taboo, but by law it has been legal since 1858. It is a place where i would be more discreet with my boyfriend and not mention my sexuality openly, but the state of Turkiye are not going to arrest me on the street.

In Saudi Arabia, the laws would really keep me from enjoying myself. To know that my trip could end in rocks slowly killing me to death is something that deeply concerns me. I know they are not going actively pursue tourists, but i still would find myself being too self conscious about acting slightly feminine, making too much eye contact, and overall feeling like i need to conceal everything that could "hint" that i was gay. I would also need to not go with my boyfriend, i am sure that wouldn't work well in any capacity. I feel like i would have to seriously hide everything about myself, and even then, what if i come across as too feminine at passport control or in front of the police.

I have spoken to a few people from Saudi Arabia or who have lived there, and apparently a lot of the stereotypes in regards to LGBT are very true. Beheadings and stonings are common place, and it is not just a threat, it is a guarantee. If you are LGBT, you better be a good actor.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
So this post is going to be a mess. But this is from a perspective as a fairly young 21 year old gay man.

I personally do not have any problems with Muslim countries, countries like Turkiye are places i would visit in a heartbeat. Being gay there is a taboo, but by law it has been legal since 1858. It is a place where i would be more discreet with my boyfriend and not mention my sexuality openly, but the state of Turkiye are not going to arrest me on the street.

In Saudi Arabia, the laws would really keep me from enjoying myself. To know that my trip could end in rocks slowly killing me to death is something that deeply concerns me. I know they are not going actively pursue tourists, but i still would find myself being too self conscious about acting slightly feminine, making too much eye contact, and overall feeling like i need to conceal everything that could "hint" that i was gay. I would also need to not go with my boyfriend, i am sure that wouldn't work well in any capacity. I feel like i would have to seriously hide everything about myself, and even then, what if i come across as too feminine at passport control or in front of the police.

I have spoken to a few people from Saudi Arabia or who have lived there, and apparently a lot of the stereotypes in regards to LGBT are very true. Beheadings and stonings are common place, and it is not just a threat, it is a guarantee. If you are LGBT, you better be a good actor.
In countries where being gay is more of a taboo, people don't assume "gay" regardless of behaviour and mannerisms. It's just not as socially coded as it in countries that are more open. Yeah, it's s**t for the people who live in those places, but potential tourists worrying about getting arrested the moment they mince off the plane are being slightly melodramatic. Yeah, there might be issues if someone is trying to make a statement by what they're wearing, or are openly affectionate with someone of the same sex. Having said that, in middle eastern countries it's not uncommon to see men holding hands. It's not perceived as gay at all. That might be different if it were two westerners I guess, but like I said earlier, the assumptions aren't the same.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be remotely considering going to those countries if I were trans, but that's a different issue entirely.

Leon_K

Mega Poster
In countries where being gay is more of a taboo, people don't assume "gay" regardless of behaviour and mannerisms. It's just not as socially coded as it in countries that are more open. Yeah, it's s**t for the people who live in those places, but potential tourists worrying about getting arrested the moment they mince off the plane are being slightly melodramatic. Yeah, there might be issues if someone is trying to make a statement by what they're wearing, or are openly affectionate with someone of the same sex. Having said that, in middle eastern countries it's not uncommon to see men holding hands. It's not perceived as gay at all. That might be different if it were two westerners I guess, but like I said earlier, the assumptions aren't the same.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be remotely considering going to those countries if I were trans, but that's a different issue entirely.
The problem is not that if you're part of the lhbti+ community you have to think about holding hands or not. It's bigger than that. It's about having the feeling you can't be your real self. The feeling that if park employees would know your sexuality you suddenly would not feel welcome anymore. I don't know the feeling, but I have a lot of friends and family that do know.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The problem is not that if you're part of the lhbti+ community you have to think about holding hands or not. It's bigger than that. It's about having the feeling you can't be your real self. The feeling that if park employees would know your sexuality you suddenly would not feel welcome anymore. I don't know the feeling, but I have a lot of friends and family that do know.
You've missed the main point there completely, which is that unless someone is really trying to stand out, they're probably not going to get clocked as gay because the assumptions are very different. It's such a taboo that it doesn't cross people's minds.

Leon_K

Mega Poster
You've missed the main point there completely, which is that unless someone is really trying to stand out, they're probably not going to get clocked as gay because the assumptions are very different. It's such a taboo that it doesn't cross people's minds.
I get your point and my reply was not meant as disagreement. You're right. But what I am trying to say is that the emotion and constant awareness while being at such a place is probably bigger than the realistic chance of being spotted and getting into trouble for your sexuality. But I might not be in the right spot to speak for everyone's own experiences.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
You're absolutely right in that it probably would not be as fixated on. But it is hard not to be paranoid when at any time if i let the mask slip, suddenly i go from tourist to criminal. I'd probably be fine! But its hard to relax with that kind of thing hanging above my head.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
You're absolutely right in that it probably would not be as fixated on. But it is hard not to be paranoid when at any time if i let the mask slip, suddenly i go from tourist to criminal. I'd probably be fine! But its hard to relax with that kind of thing hanging above my head.
It's not "being gay" that's illegal though; it's gay sex, so even if people knew you were gay, there's still nothing going to happen. I'm not trying to tell anyone that they're feelings are wrong, just that it's not really the cause for concern that they might think it to be. The arguments regarding not visiting due to not wanting to support those kinds of countries hold a bit more water than the perceived threat to personal safety.

Christian

Hyper Poster
I briefly dated a guy from Abu Dhabi. While technically sodomy has a max of 14 years imprisonment in the Abu Dhabi it's not really enforced. The arab world has a strong focus on family bonds. While the authorities usually will turn a blind eye, it's the family itself that is dangerous for local LGBTQ individuals. In the same sense most gay people from this area (including my date) have a massive internalised homophobia. Essentially themselves and their families are these LGBTQ people's main villains and are the ones causing massive pain, sometimes even physical. As someone who doesn't have family in this neck of the woods, I feel like the UAE is one of the most free places I have been too. It's also one of the reasons I go there often. In the UAE, I can live and love exactly as back home.

Regarding the personal safety argument. Going to Saudi Arabia means respecting their customs. But as long as you are a male looking person (if that's your birth assigned gender), and your boyfriend is the same, you'll be alright. You guys could even hold hands, kiss, etc. Avoid all sorts of LGBTQ associate fetishes, cross dressing, pup play, etc. As long as you wear "normal" male clothes everything should be alright. Regarding sex, I would only do it in a very private hotel room with all curtains closed, or avoid for the duration of the trip. I have heard that since the religious police lost it's powers in 2016, this isn't as dangerous as it used to be. I wouldn't hook up with locals, it can be dangerous.

Overall, I wouldn't at all be worried about visiting as a gay man in Saudi Arabia, without ever feeling like I need to put on a "mask".

Last edited: