What's new

When did your coaster count overtake your age?

Peet

Giga Poster
A question that just randomly occurred to me (as so many questions do) is what age did my coaster count overtake my age. Turns out it was when I was 14 and my French Exchange family took me to Disneyland, Space Mountain (with the original Jules Verne theme back then) became my 14th coaster.

It's a different story for my daughter who got her first cred aged 1 and is already up to 4; I suspect that will be it for her now unless she decides to push back on her annoying Daddy imposing his hobby onto her.

So what age were you if/when your count overtook your age? Has anyone done this multiple times (eg if you took a hiatus and your age caught up again)?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
What a question! :D

Mine would have been Nemesis Inferno, in 2006, my 14th coaster.

According to Google, average UK life expectancy is 81, so Taron at Dorney Park in 2010 was the point of no return.

Also according to Google, world's oldest person is 116, so even if I were to push it I wouldn't get further than Fire in Hole at Silver Dollar City in 2010.

:)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Look, we didn't have spreadsheets in the early 80's, ok?
This is like the inversions topic the other day, how are us olds supposed to keep track of what we rode 4 decades ago?

But at a guess, I'm gonna say 11, which I think is how old I was when I went on my first school trip to Alton Towers. I'd already been to Rhyl at that point, plus had a couple of the BPB creds, so that sounds about right to me.
( 🤷‍♂️ )

rob666

Hyper Poster
Fifty three years ago, in Blackpool, third week in July.
Approximately, but odds on certainty.

davidm

Strata Poster
When I was 33 (yes, really)

- would have been on one of the rides at SFMM. I was on like a dozen at the start of that trip and about 43 afterwards :)

Indy

Hyper Poster
'Twas during a visit to Paramount's Kings Island when I was 11 years old. Top Gun would have been the tying cred, with the Beast overtaking at cred #12.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Most likely as a teenager. A trip to BPB and Alton Towers back then would have easily tipped my cred count past my age.

Flash Shift

Roller Poster
Most likely as a teenager. A trip to BPB and Alton Towers back then would have easily tipped my cred count past my age.

Same honestly. I was pretty young going to both of those places for the first time, let alone having already conquered everything at Drayton. A common story, I'm sure.

Niles

Giga Poster
😅 Apparently I beat it before being 1yrs old.

I always thought my first coaster was the Runaway Train at Paulton's, however a little while ago my mum sent me a pic asking what coaster is this? In the picture there is a 10 month old me looking unhappy in the cold in a bear onesie being carried by my mum who's sat in a cage, turns out my first cred was Casey Jr at Disneyland Paris.

After that they stuffed my shoes and took me to quite a few parks so I think I have always been ahead of my age when it comes to creds.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I always thought my first coaster was the Runaway Train at Paulton's, however a little while ago my mum sent me a pic asking what coaster is this? In the picture there is a 10 month old me looking unhappy in the cold in a bear onesie being carried by my mum who's sat in a cage, turns out my first cred was Casey Jr at Disneyland Paris.

Erm... aren't you forgetting something?
Ie... the picture!
I think we all need to see this.

TilenB

Strata Poster
For me it was the recently lost Alpenexpress Enzian, my 11th coaster when I was 10. The tying cred already happened with a random spinning mouse coaster at a local fair when I was 7, but then I ended up moving at a one-new-coaster-a-year pace until I was 10. Technically Leprotto Express, Roller Coaster in Gran Canaria's Holiday World and Orca in Loro Parque were all tying coasters as well.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Spreadsheet says 16.
I hit 17 creds in 2008 because of Thorpe Park. More specifically because I stopped being scared of rides and did my first inversions on Colossus, then mopped up the rest. Quite the moment I suppose.

Also hit 23 parks at 23.
The year I started doing this stuff semi-seriously.

And 21 dark rides at 21.
The year I rekindled my enthusiasm. Because of a dark ride.

Aww.

James F

Hyper Poster
I was 4.

My first coaster was Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse coaster when I was 3 back in 99'

I then rode Barnstormer at Magic Kingdom a few days later.

The next year I went to Gullivers World Warrington and rode Anthlope, Runaway Train and I think Wild Mine Ride.

Efan

Mega Poster
This is like the inversions topic the other day, how are us olds supposed to keep track of what we rode 4 decades ago?
In fairness, I wasn't expecting anyone to calculate the exact number when I made that thread, least of all the "olds" ;). It's been a while since I've been on this forum and I forgot how nerdy we all are.

Similarly to @HeartlineCoaster, my 12th cred was Nemesis Inferno when I was 11 at Thorpe. I think I was close at Drayton when I rode 6 when I was 7 though.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
*Checks the Cred Sheet...*

In 2004, I got my 10th cred, Nemesis Inferno, just before my 10th birthday. I genuinely thought it would be later than that.
I then turned 10, and got my 11th cred on Rattlesnake at Chessington, and been in the black, as it were, ever since.

As for parks, that would be in 2019, when I visited my 26th park, Belantis, a month after my 25th birthday.

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
Like a few others, it was earlier than I thought. I thought it was going to be like 30, but courtesy of Alton Towers having more rides with a lower height requirement in the 80s, and a family visit to Florida in 91, it looks like I made my numbers 9 and 10 just before my 10th birthday.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I was 17 the first time I sat down and actually compiled a list of coasters I had ridden. I was already over 100 at that point, in fact, I'm not even sure what 100, was. (Or even #1 haha) I've narrowed down my first coaster to about five... and 100, I never even tried 🤷‍♂️ But even as a 6 year old I would have already had 10 or so coasters under my belt. Having been to Canobie, Whalom, Storyland, and Santa's Village basically yearly since I was born, plus a handful of local fairs

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Probably 13 or 14, when I was mustering up the courage to jump on more of Cedar Point's line-up. :)