What's new

When did you ride your first "big" roller coaster?

jansolee66

Roller Poster
My first "Adult" coaster was the Super Manege, a standard Vekoma Corkscrew, at La Ronde in Montreal (I rode Le Monstre and Le Boomerang" that same day - the only other "big" coasters they had at the time). I'm guessing I was 10 or 11.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Smithy said:
I remember going to American Adventure and wussing out on their Boomerang when I was really young,

While Corkscrew at Alton was undoubtedly my first "big" coaster - today it's just nothing. However, I rode a Boomerang at Butlins when I was a teenager and that I'd say IS a big coaster. I still get a thrill now on the reverse up the lift (even on Ben 10) - I think they're quite an intimidating ride. Certainly more intimidating than a Corkscrew.

Smithy said:
I remember going to Alton and chickening out of Nemesis and Oblivion but went on Corkscrew, second visit to Alton I talked up to my mates that I'd go on it so I couldn't back out. Not a clue what age we're looking at though, maybe 12/13?

Maxi-Minor_Furie did Oblivion a week ago and loved it (he's seven). He still wont do Nemesis or Air though, and Rita is completely out of the question. Such an odd thing, as I think Oblivion is massively scary, but he just didn't care :lol:

I think that the 1.4M thrill rides are where you start to count rides as "big" these days, but I still reckon Boomerangs are in with them :)

Patrik3

Roller Poster
Ever since my first visit to LegoLand Windsor, I've always been fascinated by roller coasters, but for ages, I never went on anything more scary than the "Dragon's Apprentice". I remember going to Chessington when I was about 13, and chickening out of the mine train coaster. I think the reason was that although "Dragon's Apprentice" is the tiniest of coasters, it's surprisingly intense, at least for small children - so I was using it as a benchmark, thinking that if I was scared of it, then anything that was any larger must be exponentially more scary.

Anyway, a year or so later, I went back to LegoLand with a friend. He forced me to ride Jungle Coaster at the start of the day. I loved it, went on the big Dragon Coaster as well (and it was nothing like I'd expected), and then a few months later I went to Chessington, and then to Thorpe Park. I did everything at Chessington and at Thorpe I rode most of the larger rides - Rush, Inferno, Colossus, Detonator... unfortunately, the same benchmarking problem arose that day - upon riding Detonator (115ft) I naturally (but wrongly) assumed that Stealth (205ft) must be far scarier, so I didn't manage to get myself onto Stealth that day.

After that, I got really into coasters, and joined these forums, so I guess my first 'big' coaster was Nemesis Inferno, but the coaster that got me over my fears and really interested in them was Jungle Coaster...

gopats1479

Mega Poster
The first coaster I ever rode was Cornball Express at Indiana Beach. It still ranks as one of my favorites today. However, depending on your definition of "big coaster," Cornball or Hoosier Hurricane.

Craigemotions

Roller Poster
It was the Missile at the now closed American Adventure theme park, an early Vekoma Boomerang i think, (im just really learning about rollercoasters properly now).

I remember hating the way it pulled me up backwards and having nothing in front of me to hold onto, i was used to smaller coasters and having a bar in front of you. It just felt like i was falling out of my seat onto the restraints because i was so small, it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Rock n' Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios in Florida. I remember everything being a blur because I was **** scared, and I remember almost getting whiplash because I decided to cry into my lap before the launch. AWESOME.

Jer

Strata Poster
Rock'n'Rollercoaster when I was 11, it was also the ride that broke my fear of coasters, because it was **** awesome.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
I suppose my first BIG coaster was Nemesis Inferno when I was 9. It was funny as I had never used that sort of harness and as the air gates opened I accidently locked the harness back in and got another go. The people who were next were not happy, but I don't care :lol:

Stealthyrose

Roller Poster
7 or 8 yeard old, Megafobia :) hated it the first time, it was too loud and fast, but the second time I fell in love! After that my coaster love was sealed in my teens with Speed, No Limits.

Then came a trip to Towers and the rest is history

Xpress

Strata Poster
I think it was GhostRider, because I wouldn't necessarily consider Montezoomas Revenge to be a "big" coaster. That was in 2003 I think, so about 10 years ago. First ride over 200 feet would be Goliath at SFMM.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
I remember getting on Hulk, and wimping out and asking off the ride. I had to have been 12 or 13. A few days later I manned up and rode Montu at BGT (and all of the coasters). I have been a coaster riding fool ever since.

[CoasterFan]

Roller Poster
My first "big" coaster was Prowler at Worlds of Fun. I'm just now really getting into roller coasters and my next milestone to overcome is the 200 ft. mark. Im riding the mamba in august. Wish me luck :)

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
I don't really count Space Mountain or EE as "big" coasters so it would be Rock 'N' Roller Coaster when I was 8. Wasn't scared of it before the visit, in the queue, or riding it. I was just like "yeah whatever". I thought it was a solid good ride. nothing to write about at home. (Yes, I was a coaster enthusiast when I was 8).

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Sheikra when I was 9 years old. I was so happy to finally be tall enough to hit the 54" height requirment.. That was my first coaster I rode that made me nervous. Rode Everest, Rock and Roller coaster before, but wasn't really scared on them. That was 6 years ago.