What's new

When did you ride your first "big" roller coaster?

Edward M

Strata Poster
We all had to transfer from the kiddies to the big boys. What was your first big ride? At what age? It can be whatever ride that intimididated you or transitioned you fron the "kiddie" coasters to the bad boys whether 50 feet or 300 feet.

Mine was Titan @ SFoT. I was 6 and barely 48". I was terrified of it and had 2 creds: Road Runner and a pizza place. It was incredible! Too bad I almost fell out cause the SF workers felt lazy.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It's nothing now, but the first one I considered to be "big" at the time was Flamingoland's Corkscrew. It was definitely the first one I rode with inversions, and I'm pretty sure it would've been the tallest at that time as well.

I think I would've been about 10 years old; summer of 1990 sounds about right.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
My first coaster was also my first big coaster: Loch Ness Monster. I was 8 at the time, and I had fun for most of it but was actually pretty scared by the feeling of dropping, so I didn't really start to ride bigger coasters again until a couple years later. I'd say Apollo's Chariot was the first big coaster that I seem to remember really enjoying without being too afraid on my first ride.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: When did you ride your first "big" roller coaster?

My first big coaster was Blue Streak at Conneaut Lake Park when I was 4. According to mom, I just walked up to the ride without any fear and that she tried to convince me to not ride it. Since most rides were below 100 feet, my next jump was to 225 feet for Steel Phantom. I believe I was 6 or 7 at the time of that.

Nic

Strata Poster
Vampire would've seemed huge to me when it first opened. Pretty sure I rode that in opening year. I would've been 6.

Pretty sure my first ride with inversions was Corkscrew at Alton Towers, although I also rode Thunder Looper on the same weekend, so maybe not. Either way, they seemed like proper "grown up" coasters to me. I was 9 years old.

First coaster I rode that I still consider to be pretty major would've been Nemesis in it's opening year. I was 10 years old. It was fireworks weekend and we queued something ridiculous like 4 hours for it.

Snoo

The Legend
Raptor at Cedar Point.

My dad thought I was screaming in terror.. but I was having a good ol time. Of course, I was 9.

Hutch

Strata Poster
When I was 5 I went on Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom for the first time. I remember everything being really scary and frightening. But since Space Mountain is actually not that big/fast (it seemed big), I'd say my first big coaster Rockin' Rollercoaster at Hollywood Studios. This was only actually a few years ago when I was 11.

Also, I know it's not a coaster but when I was also 5 I went on Jurassic Park River Adventure at IoA when I was 5. After getting off I was like "NEVER AGAIN!!!"

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
Does Space Mountain (Alpha) count? If so that was my 3rd cred and I was 7 and 1 day old. I had rode a Wacky Worm (3 yrs) and a Crazy Mouse (5 yrs) at a local fair. I also rode Expedition Everest the next day, so if Space Mountain dosn't count, then it was Everest.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
When I was about three or four, I was subjected to one of the small dragon roller coasters. It terrified me, and put me off roller coasters for a long time. I apparently gave my parents a good telling off after the dragged me on the log flume at Alton Towers as well.

Sometime in my early teens, I braved The Rat at Lightwater Valley (a Schwarzkopf wildcat coaster, relatively tame by today's standards), which I found thrilling but extremely nerve wracking.

Then there was a huge gap until 2007, when I ended up back at Lightwater Valley, and braved The Ultimate. The rest is history.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Magic Mountain in Gardaland when I was 5. It has a height restriction of just 110cm, so it was the only thrill ride back then that I was meeting the restrictions

Hutch

Strata Poster
CoastingChris50 said:
Canobie Corkscrew or Yankee Cannonball at Canobie Lake Park.

Those were also my very first two coasters, but Yankee and Corkscrew are pretty small coasters.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
^^They are huge compared to Dragon lol. I'm from MA so its the closet park to me so I go there pretty much every year. If those don't count then it would be Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
My first "big" coaster was one of my first - Nemesis in 2006 or 2007. Everything that has followed I put solely on that experience. I'd not been to many theme parks or had interest in rides or coasters before then.

twistingaether

Roller Poster
I haven't had much opportunity to ride a big coaster yet (my location is a major barrier) although I'm dying to. Once I'm done with studies the top thing on my wish list is to go on a holiday (probably US somewhere) and go to some great parks.

When I was 13 Wonderland near Sydney was still operating and they had "The Beast" which was a woodie and "The Demon" which was a Vekoma Boomerang