What's new

What's your favourite Alton Towers ride?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Why Air?

Mine is Nemesis because it still thrills me today, despite riding many other coasters since. I love the whole atmosphere and experience of it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I keep on fluctuating between Nemesis and Oblivion. There's more substance to Nemesis, from the entire presentation to a stunning first half of a coaster. I know it dies after the "over the station zero-g", but I'm usually in such a great mood from the ride that I don't care too much :lol:

Oblivion is just too short, but it's a perfect blast of thrill. I just adore the drop, it's really like nothing else, such a shame it ends there, but... If there was more, it would probably dilute the feeling from the drop and make it a weaker overall ride.

So the two always swap places for me, simply because both are flawed, but enjoyable rides.

walker1104

Mega Poster
I agree with Furie on this one. I'm torn between Nemesis and Oblivion too. I think I'd pick Nemesis overall, it just feels better. Oblivion is a great ride, but it is very short. But then I much prefer it to Sheikra, which is essentially the same with a bit extra added on. Like Furie said, the extra bit dilutes the feeling from the drop. But yeah, Nemesis for me.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Nemesis all the way! Everything about her is superb, from the themeing to the inversions - not to mention the great soundtrack.

Mike

Giga Poster
ATTACKHAMMER said:
Got to be Nemesis

No it doesn't, but as you're so certain then why don't you add a bit more to your post to tell us? :?

I'm going to go with Oblivion.
I still get nervous when going up the lift hill and I still think the drop's one of the best in the world.
Nemesis is good, but I find that a lot of the ride on B&M Inverts are lost if you're not in one of the front seats.

mouse

Giga Poster
Nemesis.
It just takes my breath away every time, I could ride it again and again and not get bored. No doubt the best inverted coaster. :)
Oblivion on the other hand, after you've ridden it a handful of times, its not as thrilling as the first couple of times. Still good, but not as good as Nemesis.
And like Ian said, why Air?

sawalive

Roller Poster
Favourite rollercoaster is Nemesis, but my other favourite ride is the monorail! That may seem a silly choice but nothing gets me more excited than going on the monorail to the entrance of Alton towers, the whole experience of Alton towers starts at the monorail, it gives Alton towers a sort of unique feel and makes you feel so welcome!
Favourite flat ride is Hex!

Lofty

CF Legend
Just because I think that "Ride" isn't that specific:

Coaster: Nemesis.

Flat: Hex.

Water: Battle Galleons.

T0M

Hyper Poster
I know it's boring but I have a joint three.

Rita - the adrenaline Rush from the acceleration is adorable. It is a far more interesting layout than Stealth (I've never been to a non-UK park so can't compare other Intamin accelerators). I'm still yet to try it on the front row, which I think I will love even more.

Thirteen - I love the atmosphere and the theming, I also think it's uniqueness is a great thing. I love enclosed rollercoasters and dark rides and there's shades of both combined into this, despite what everyone else seems to think of it, it is one of the bets ride experiences to come from the UK for years.

Nemesis - absolutely brilliant on the front row with an unobstructed view, I still have reflex reactions worying about my feet to this day. On the back, which I only recently tried, is so incredibly intense it's amazing. It's design was way ahead of its time and I must disagree with Furie and say that it is flawless and is John Wardley's finest moment.

If you were to force my hand and say I can only ride one of them during the next year, I would choose Rita....I think.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
-lofty- said:
Coaster: Nemesis.

Flat: Hex.

This.

Nemesis has uninterrupted momentum and intensity, a fantastic sound (that roar through the chasm!), and a cute monster <3

Hex is the best themed flat I've come across so far. I love the atmosphere and anticipation, the fact you are in an authentic building and listening to a tale based on real life events, and the music of course <3

Nemesis was the best coaster there in my opinion. I wasn't overly impressed my first ride, but then I rerode it almost directly after and I loved it. It's so forceful and unique, and I don't think it dies as badly as everyone says. It's also one of the most aesthetically pleasing coasters I've seen, because even though it's not huge and dominating, it's not often you see a coaster going through trenches and stuff.

Oblivion would be next, and was such a better ride than I expected it to be. It literally does almost nothing, but what it does is fantastic and it gave me more of a rush than I thought it would.

Hex was good and had a great story/theming etc, but as for the other flats there I didn't really get to do anything else. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a dud and a half, and Duel wasn't a shooter because it was around Halloween time, so yah I'd say Hex was the best I rode while I was there.

Nic

Strata Poster
Nemesis. There's just something about it that's really intimidating. The whole atmosphere as you're walking down towards is is like nothing else anywhere! I think this is mainly down to that awesome noise that it makes. Now, I know B&M's are known for their "roar", but Nemesis' sound is just on a whole other level. The theme is great, and the way it interacts with the terrain is fantastic. It's really intense and always seems to go ridiculously fast. I think I also have a soft spot for it because I went on in opening year (I was 10!). It was my first "World class thrill coaster" (for want of a better phrase). All in all, its just full of awesome.

After that there's Oblivion. I know its only short, but that keeps you coming back for more. Plus, I love big dark holes.

Then, of course, its Hex. Purely for the music <3

andrus

Giga Poster
Ben said:
Rita.

Then Oblivion.

Then Hex.
^This! Although you mixed up the order of Oblivion and Rita ;) I'm no big fan of Nemesis tbh, there's waaay better inverts out there imo! :)

Kebab

Giga Poster
Nemesis for me as well. It just distinctively stands out as a revolutionary experience, it almost tries to hide the fact that it's a rollercoaster, and I love that! It just sets the standards for the perfect compact inverted rollercoaster, and to me personally, it hasn't aged at all!

There are not many rollercoasters like Nemesis, and the ones alike are hardly as intense or exhilirating.

I'm a fan of Oblivion, but in comparison to Nemesis it doesn't do much at all. It just screams out 'look at me I'm big and ****ing scary', and yes it is! Then it ends...

Sam

Giga Poster
Oblivion.

Just the pure rush of speed and adrenalin.... can't beat it. ****ing love that ride.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ And you can find some nice jackets lying around in the queue line.