What's new

What's new at Chessington for 2011?

alexdude98

Mega Poster
Firstly, sorry if this topic has already been done. I used the search function but I couldn't see something displaying everything that's new in one post.

Anyway, firstly Dragon Falls has had it's height restriction increased from 0.9m to 1.2m. DISCUSS HERE: http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30092

Next, Bubbleworks has finished it's sponsorship with Imperial Leather so it has been revamped. DISCUSS HERE:
http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29910

Also, Chessington have apparently got something new for the Sea Life Centre but when I walked through it I saw no change... :?

Finally, restaurant changes. Greedy Goblin Pub and some other pasta restaurant near Rameses Revenge have been turned into restaurants that just serve chicken... the chicken is alright but don't you think we want something other than that? KFC/Pizza Hut combo has been turned into a pasta and pizza "healthier" place. There was a pizza & pasta place built into the KFC/Pizza Hut but now it has been fully turned into a pizza/pasta. Burger King, Chips Ahoy & ReFresh (Transylvania) are all the same.

Smarties Castle has been revamped into an information booth about Merlin Passes and Fastrack and the like.

Discuss anything which doesn't have another topic (i.e. Restaurant, Sea Life) below but go to the other topics to discuss those topics (i.e. Bubbleworks revamp).

Ollie

CF Legend
There was already a topic on this. Can't be bothered to find it though.
And KFC/Pizza Hut has been the Pizza & Pasta buffet for about 3 years now. Catch up. :p

nadroJ

CF Legend
Smarties castle should turn back to Cadbury's castle and therefore be literally made of win again *sigh*.

Will

Strata Poster
^
Yeah, that.
Plus, the restaurant formerly known as the Greedy Goblin, as I may have mentioned, isn't great - the food's massively overpriced for what it is (though the chips are good!) and considering the image they're going for, the chicken is dismally mild.
This was a fail on their part; I still miss the Transylvania McDonalds.

The fact that we're talking about food indicates that
a) I'm hungry
and b) Nothing particularly exciting has happened at Chessington this year. But in their defense, Wild Asia's great :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ When he got burnt in the Saw: Alive fire, because he lives in there.

peep

CF Legend
Not too many changes/additions this year. They have focused a lot more on the zoo again this year and continuation of changing the food outlets to a more diverse range of eateries so there is something for everyone.

So some areas of theming have been slightly touched upon, mainly adding cool new painted signage on closed food outlets for quiet days.

A new shop has been added to the exit of Rameses Revenge. Sells clothes, percussion instruments, drinks and a few other bits and bobs.

Wanyama village and reserve has had several new additions. Fennec Foxes, Ostriches, love birds and Gazelle. There is also a new small enclosure for two meerkats, Charlie and Pirate, when I was last there they still hadn't moved into their new home (they were situated next to the Children's zoo). A new shelter has also been put in the reserve area.

The 'new' thing for Sea Life is actually just a re-theme of the tunnel at the end of the attraction. The seating area that views the same tank has also been themed to this new area. There is a crashed plane with a slowly moving propeller in with the fish as well as a strange Aztec-like stone statue with red LED eyes (yeah, I don't understand either). They have also put lots of excellently themed rockwork with fake reef in there.

The new Gorilla enclosure expansion is now being used by the Gorillas but still no viewing area (it was on the plans and still looks possible).

The pheasant have been moved out of Lorikeet lagoon into the monkey and bird garden and have been replaced by some pigeons.

The Greedy Goblin pub has been replaced by fake-nandos, which according to peeps like Will isn't very good, or at least doesn't match up to the Nandos-standard.

The Pizza Pasta place and Chicken place in Forbidden Kingdom have been there since the beginning last season.

The hotel restaurant has been re-designed and themed more to the African safari theme. It also has a new menu etc.

The fastpass system has been updated with a new three tier system. A new child one includes Flying Jumbos, Toadies, Seastorm and Tiny Truckers, all with new fecning, logo signage and fast pass queues.

On ride photo merchandise has been expanded. Collectable sticker sheets and a poster map (which you can attach your on ride photos too) are some of the new pieces of merchandise avaliable.

Bubbleworks has had a few small pieces of theming added inside as well as new lighting for the finale (still no strobing). All logos are slowly being replaced to remove all sponsorship branding.

Some changes are expected for the Vampire 21st celebrations starting Monday.

I think that's everything :p I would post photos of all of this but this work pc cant seem to cope with facebook lol. All related images are contained within my last two trip reports which can be found within the relevant area of the CF forum. :D

alexdude98

Mega Poster
peep said:
The 'new' thing for Sea Life is actually just a re-theme of the tunnel at the end of the attraction. The seating area that views the same tank has also been themed to this new area. There is a crashed plane with a slowly moving propeller in with the fish as well as a strange Aztec-like stone statue with red LED eyes (yeah, I don't understand either). They have also put lots of excellently themed rockwork with fake reef in there.
I saw that. Nothing to really boast about though considering on the map for this season there's a "NEW FOR 2011".
When I was in the Sea Life centre people kept saying: "Where's this new bit for 2011?"

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Edit: I just linked to something completely irrelevant sorry - my bad

Errr, new stuff at Chessie, errr I found a new cred called 'Wheelspin: The ride' at the top of the South car park!

Nic

Strata Poster
*sigh* I didn't do bins OR bollards at Chessie, because its awesome so there's no need to take the piss. Thorpe however...

sawalive

Roller Poster
Health and safety has taken the Black Bucaneer by its throat, not only have they had to increase the height restriction but now all those under 1.3m must be in the middle of the rows and have someone over 16 on BOTH ends, this was causing huge delays and problems today, this also ment spliting up of groups and causing huge confusion!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
sawalive said:
Health and safety has taken the Black Bucaneer by its throat, not only have they had to increase the height restriction but now all those under 1.3m must be in the middle of the rows and have someone over 16 on BOTH ends, this was causing huge delays and problems today, this also ment spliting up of groups and causing huge confusion!

2010 called, it wants it's news back...

You will also see this at Legoland and Towers, and it's similar to Mack's issue with the Log Flumes and Teacups, so don't just go pointing fingers at the park/H&S...

Nic

Strata Poster
Didn't they start doing the whole adults on the ends of rows thing last year? It's completely idiotic without airgates.

sawalive

Roller Poster
I had no idea it started last year I knew the height had been increased but not this hassle with adults at the end of the row! It does seem to be health and safety gone mad, they havnt had anyone fall out of it yet I doubt they will get one now (touch wood)

I also noticed alot of theming has been improved for 2011 including runaway mine train theming working and great smells in the bubble works!

I do also wonder what they are constructing over by wild asia/mystic east, the area that used to be a campsite I belive?

Nic

Strata Poster
sawalive said:
I do also wonder what they are constructing over by wild asia/mystic east, the area that used to be a campsite I believe?
What area by Wild Asia/Mystic East? That dumping ground over behind the fence where they seem to just store a load of old crap? Oh, and, campsite?!

Oh, and I hope I'm proved wrong, but I wouldn't expect anything exciting to be built until at least 2013.