What's new

What new-to-you coasters do you feel are your most likely top 10(ish) contenders in 2024?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Many people on here have a top 10 coasters list, a top 10%, or some determiner of the upper echelons of their coaster count. In a year of riding new coasters, you might expect to have a few new contenders for that part of your rankings. With this in mind, I'd be interested to know; what new-to-you coasters do you feel are most likely to make this most exclusive top tier of your rankings in 2024? What rides do you feel have the best shot at making your top 10, your top 10% or similar?

Personally, I'm off on my first ever visit to PortAventura World in Spain later this year, and I've also got the crop of new coasters in the UK to look forward to. With this in mind, I'd say that my most promising two contenders for this year are Shambhala at PortAventura Park and Hyperia at Thorpe Park, with a possible outside mention for Red Force at Ferrari Land.

In terms of Shambhala; the two B&M Hypers I've already ridden, Mako and Silver Star, are currently my #1 and #3 coasters, respectively, so I'm a big fan of the ride type as it is. With Shambhala commonly being perceived as the cream of the crop among B&M Hyper Coasters, I'd like to think that it might have a decent shot at hitting my top 10 or top 10%!

As for Hyperia; a hyper coaster is normally a winner for me, with 4 of the 6 coasters over 200ft tall I've ridden being in my top 10 and top 10% and the 5th only narrowly missing out at the #12 spot. With how awesome its layout design looks, I currently see nothing to imply that Hyperia will be any different! Some of those elements, such as the first drop, the non-inverting Immelmann and the outerbank into an inversion look absolutely insane, and even the other elements I haven't mentioned look absolutely awesome! With this in mind, I think it could definitely have a decent chance of htiting my top 10 or top 10%!

In terms of Red Force; I'm a little less sure about Red Force than the other two, as I've heard very mixed things about it. With that being said, I absolutely love Stealth, a similar big, fast coaster with an awesome launch, and that's ranked at #12. So if Red Force ends up being significantly better than Stealth, then I think it could definitely be in with an outside chance of hitting my top 10 or top 10%!

But I'd be keen to know; what new-to-you coasters do you feel are most likely to hit your top 10, top 10% or similar in 2024?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Oof, this could be a really big list, got a big US road trip coming up in June that will feature a whole swathe of CF's Top 25 coasters. If we're talking about potential Top 10% material, and assuming the trip goes well with no spites, I reckon any of the following could be in with a shout:
Phoenix
Skyrush
Candymonium
Wildcat's Revenge
Jersey Devil
Twisted Timbers
Pantheon
Arieforce 1
Fury 325
Goliath over Georgia
Lightning Rod
Plus re-riding a few that are already in there, like El Toro, KK, I305 and Griffon.

However, if we're talking about actual, bona fide Top 10 entries, rather than just a mere Top 10% placement (which, in my case, is about Top 45, give or take) then realistically speaking I think there's only 3 genuine contenders: Wildcat, Arieforce and Fury.
Be interesting to come back to this topic at the end of the year and see if I was right.

Last edited:

Sticky_T_Wicky

Roller Poster
I'm cheating as I have already gotten several new credits in 2024 that have likely reached into my top 10 or top 25 including Iron Gwazi, VelociCoaster, Mako and Montu. Updated coaster rankings forthcoming once time has pass to limit recency bias.

I tentatively have a trip planned to the east coast of the US and it will depend on a couple of factors of how many parks and new credits I get and so, without any spites, here we go:

Parks and Coasters I feel very confident that I'm going to attend and ride:

Six Flags Great Adventure
El Toro
- High chance of top 25 though roughness does bother me more than most coaster enthusiasts so that could hold this back.
Kingda Ka - Limited chance of top 25, one trick ponies do not generally get high rankings from me, no matter the trick.
Nitro - Limited chance of top 25. B&M Hypers are great but tend to lack the ejector airtime I prefer.

Kings Dominion
Intimidator 305
- High chance of top 25 and top 10. This even looks like a potential #1 based on my preferences.
Twisted Timbers - High chance of top 25 and top 10. This looks loaded with ejector and snappy transitions.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Pantheon
- High chance of top 25 and limited chance of top 10. This will likely by my first swing launch and I'm curious to experience that.
Apollo's Chariot - Limited chance of top 25. B&M Hypers are great but tend to lack the ejector airtime I prefer.
Alpengeist - Limited chance of top 25. I love B&M Inverts but this looks like the 2nd half may be too neutered.

Hersheypark
Wildcat's Revenge
- High chance of top 25 and top 10. This looks like an elite coaster that could be my #3 RMC.
Skyrush - Not putting a chance on this due to its polarizing nature.
Candymonium - Limited chance of top 25. B&M Hypers are great but tend to lack the ejector airtime I prefer.
Storm Runner - Medium chance of top 25. The ride experience looks great but the <30 seconds of ride time could be an issue.
Fahrenheit - Limited chance of top 25. Looks like a solid coaster but it will be hard to see it breaking into my top 25.

Parks and Coasters I think I'm going to attend and ride:

Six Flags New England
Superman The Ride
- High chance of top 25 and limited chance of top 10. Looks like it has strong airtime and a great layout, the restraints could be an issue.
Wicked Cyclone - High chance of top 25 and limited chance of top 10. Looks like a great and well rounded coaster.

Six Flags America
Superman Ride of Steel
- Medium Chance of top 25 and limited chance of top 10. Looks like it has good airtime but also some dead spots.

Knoebels
Phoenix
- High chance of top 25 and limited chance of top 10. Looks like loads of airtime. Also may lack the intensity that I prefer.

Dorney Park
Steel Force
- Limited chance of top 25. If it runs like Mamba has the lasts few years it may creep into the top 25.

Kennywood
Steel Curtain
- Limited chance of top 25. This spited me in 2023 but I may be able to give it another go in 2024.

witchfinder

Giga Poster
Good idea for a topic! Most likely top 10 candidates from the parks I intend to visit this year:

The Ride to Happiness
Expedition GeForce
Voltron (maybe? I haven't really kept tabs on what it is)
Silver Star (probably not as it's usually considered a lower-tier B&M Hyper than some I've already ridden)
Hyperia
DC Rivals Hypercoaster

Also intrigued about Nemesis 2.0. The original is in the lower half of my Top 10, but will the new one push back up my rankings or drop out completely?

Trax

Hyper Poster
As opening hours are not fully public yet, we couldn't finalize out planning. Therefore, this list is based on the parks we intend to hit on this years Mega Hyper Giga-trip.

#1 contender: Intimidator 305

Top 10 contenders:
Maverick
Steel Vengeance
Fury 325
Lightning Rod
Wildcats Revenge
Skyrush
The Voyage
Goliath (the one at Six Flags)*
El Toro
Voltron Nevera powered by Rimac

*No, this is of course a joke

It will be interesting where I305 will land once I've ridden it. This is one of the very few rides where I can't handle my expectations and expect nothing less an than my new number 1. It will either be this, or a dissapointment and not even a Top 50 ride. Will be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Nothing on the horizon that would break the Top 10, but new coasters I anticipate will make a dent into Top 25/Top 50s:
  • Top Thrill 2
  • Helix and/or Balder (Doing a Denmark/Sweden trip in May)
  • Goliath SFGA
  • Boulder Dash
  • Superman: RoS SFNE

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
I currently have 137 credits and out of what has been listed by everyone so far, I have:

1 Fury 325
6 ArieForce One
8 Goliath (SFOG)
9 Steel Vengeance
15 Lightning Rod
19 Gold Striker
20 Maverick

By the end of this year I expect to have over 200 credits with two that I believe will be top ten worthy. They are Top Thrill 2 at Cedar Point and Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
👀 nothing? 👀

With no real new ride plans for this upcoming season, I don't see anything really topping what I've already done. I don't know, 2024 seems like a bust for me, as far as parks/coasters go. I guess I'm more focused on my fall trip that's non park related 😬

There's 3 major rides I'm going after and one of those doesn't even seem... major? Over Georgia's Surf Coaster Ultra Mega Giga Splash.....thing 🤷‍♂️ and then theres Great Adventure's Vertical Velocity, which hasn't even started construction yet, but looks genuinely fun .....just not top-worthy? and also Iron Menace at Dorney that seems like filler but is probably adequate. Maybe I'm just jaded, haha, but when you've already been to all the parks and been on all the rides, you get left with whatever has been built since your last visit and nothing really big has happened recently?

Lastly, locally, two family rides are opening Penguin Trek and Phoenix Rising, probably good additions to the park but definitely not something people are rushing to go do and I'll be going to do Snoopy's Soap Box Racers at Kings Island, Yet another family ride but at least something new for me as a Vekoma family Boomerang 🤷‍♂️

.....but also, All American Triple Loop...miiiight do it, but I'm not sure if I'll make it back to IB this year.

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
👀 nothing? 👀

With no real new ride plans for this upcoming season, I don't see anything really topping what I've already done. I don't know, 2024 seems like a bust for me, as far as parks/coasters go. I guess I'm more focused on my fall trip that's non park related 😬

There's 3 major rides I'm going after and one of those doesn't even seem... major? Over Georgia's Surf Coaster Ultra Mega Giga Splash.....thing 🤷‍♂️ and then theres Great Adventure's Vertical Velocity, which hasn't even started construction yet, but looks genuinely fun .....just not top-worthy? and also Iron Menace at Dorney that seems like filler but is probably adequate. Maybe I'm just jaded, haha, but when you've already been to all the parks and been on all the rides, you get left with whatever has been built since your last visit and nothing really big has happened recently?

Lastly, locally, two family rides are opening Penguin Trek and Phoenix Rising, probably good additions to the park but definitely not something people are rushing to go do and I'll be going to do Snoopy's Soap Box Racers at Kings Island, Yet another family ride but at least something new for me as a Vekoma family Boomerang 🤷‍♂️

.....but also, All American Triple Loop...miiiight do it, but I'm not sure if I'll make it back to IB this year.
Oh good point on American Triple Loop - forgot that was maybe coming out lol

ArieForce One is another coaster I have eyes on, and will try to work out an Atlanta excursion for, which definitely has onus of breaking a Top 10.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
This would have been a great time to use my Ranking Prediction Formula, but alas I haven't updated it in ages and currently do not have the time.

Of coasters I feel pretty comfortable that I'll be able to ride this year, I feel like Formula Rossa, Flying Aces, Hyperia, Gotham City Escape and Voltron all have a solid chance of entering my Top 10%. I'm also looking forward to Mahuka, and feel like that could enter in at the lower end.

Regardless of whether it's a new cred or not, I'm also eagerly awaiting a ride on NemesIIs; in its last couple of years, Nemesis was a bit rough round the edges...hopefully a new version of the ride keeps the intensity and removes said roughness.

ValravnIsElite

Roller Poster
These:
Skyrush | Top 1?
Magnum XL-200 | Top 5?
Steel Vengeance | Top 1?
VelociCoaster | Top 3?
Intimidator 305 | Top 1?
Fury 325 | Top 1?
Twisted Timbers | Top 5?
Wildcat's Revenge | Top 10?
ArieForce One | Top 10?
Prowler | Top 10?
Voyage | Top 1?
Phantom's Revenge | Top 3?
Iron Gwazi | Top 1?
Montu | Top 10?
Kumba | Top 10?
Hagrid's Obnoxiously Long Name | Top 10?
Pantheon | Top 10?
El Toro | Top 3?
Apollo's Chariot | Top 5?

Disco Lumberjack

Roller Poster
This year is probably going to be a big one, I currently have 79 creds, but I suspect my top 10 will look something like this by the end of the year (new creds in bold).

1. Iron Gwazi
2. VelociCoaster

3. Zadra
4. Hyperion
5. Ride to Happiness
6. Hyperia
7. Mako
8. Kondaa

9. Nemesis
10. Montu

If everything goes to plan I'm expecting to ride 47 new coasters this year which would be my biggest haul yet, will be interesting to compare this to what my top 10 ends up being.

Esther7

Roller Poster
Wow, I'm reading a lot of interesting coasters in this thread, good luck to everyone with your plans! 😊 If everything goes well, 2024 could be a great year for me too. We're planning 2 big trips to the USA and Japan, and some small ones in Europe.

I find it very difficult to rank the coasters, but I think there will be quite a few that could be among my favorites, even some of them could be in my top 10.

The ones I'm most excited to try are Steel Vengeance, Maverick, TT2, Wildcat's Revenge, Fury 325, ArieForce One, Hyperia, Nemesis Reborn, Voltron, Hakugei, Eejanaika, and the new Donkey Kong coaster. I don't think this last one is in my top but I really want to try it. 😁

DelPiero

Strata Poster
However, if we're talking about actual, bona fide Top 10 entries, rather than just a mere Top 10% placement (which, in my case, is about Top 45, give or take) then realistically speaking I think there's only 3 genuine contenders: Wildcat, Arieforce and Fury.
Be interesting to come back to this topic at the end of the year and see if I was right.
You forgot Skyrush.
If you like it then you will LOVE it. But if you're a baby then it will sit somewhere in your 30-50.

Realistically I can see Ride to Happiness and Arieforce 1 having a genuine chance of getting in my top 10. There's quite a few other notable rides but I have high hopes for those two.

If Fury and/or El Toro are significantly worse than when I last rode them then I'm pretty sure there will be a shuffle.

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
You forgot Skyrush.
If you like it then you will LOVE it. But if you're a baby then it will sit somewhere in your 30-50.

Realistically I can see Ride to Happiness and Arieforce 1 having a genuine chance of getting in my top 10. There's quite a few other notable rides but I have high hopes for those two.

If Fury and/or El Toro are significantly worse than when I last rode them then I'm pretty sure there will be a shuffle.
Post crack Fury is just as good as before and ArieForce One is great and so re rideable with almost always a walk on/stay in your seat and keep riding it. Rerideability and park operations are what puts it ahead of Steel Vengeance for me, although both are in my top 10.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
With a trip to Energylandia coming up this year, I'm predicting the following to make it onto the Top 10:

Zadra - This is the only coaster I can see making #1. Iron Gwazi is currently at the top so another big RMC might just tick all the boxes for me and dethrone it!

Hyperion - Definitely top 10, possibly top 5. Can't see why a 250 ft + tall Intamin wouldn't make it onto the list.

Hyperia - I'm confident this will be my favourite UK coaster (there's not much competition). There's a few coasters near the lower end of my Top 10 which I can see being knocked off by this.

Abyssus - I'm not 100% confident on this one as it doesn't look to have the intensity that the other coasters on my Top 10 list have. However, on paper, this looks great! Some decent launches, plenty of airtime moments and a good length to it. I think it has a chance at cracking the Top 10 still.