What's new

What makes an enthusiast?

Ami

Roller Poster
I have a unique question that I’ve been too afraid to ask anyone for quite some time for fear of ridicule, do I have the right to call myself an enthusiast? I ask this because I am autistic, and roller coasters and theme parks have been my special interest for almost my entire life. However I have not had the opportunity to travel much and as a result my cred count is very limited, which is an argument in favor of me being GP. But I spend so much of my time researching and consuming media related to roller coasters and theme parks that my knowledge is on par with enthusiasts. I’m unsure where I belong.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
But I spend so much of my time researching and consuming media related to roller coasters and theme parks that my knowledge is on par with enthusiasts.

I'd say that puts you firmly in the enthusiast category, but it's entirely up to you really. Do you want to consider yourself an enthusiast? If so, then by all means do. If you'd rather think of yourself as more of a 'casual observer', then that's fine too. There's no rules round here, and you certainly won't be ridiculed either way. :)

thepoweroften

Roller Poster
I’m in a similar situation to you Ami! On the autistic spectrum, very intensely interested in rollercoasters and spend a lot of time reading up on them but haven’t had the opportunity to travel much or ride as many as I’d like so my cred count is low. You’re not alone (and your question has made me feel less alone as well)! :)

Last edited:

Ami

Roller Poster
I'd say that puts you firmly in the enthusiast category, but it's entirely up to you really. Do you want to consider yourself an enthusiast? If so, then by all means do. If you'd rather think of yourself as more of a 'casual observer', then that's fine too. There's no rules round here, and you certainly won't be ridiculed either way. :)
I personally like to think of myself as an enthusiast, but there appears from my observations to be a lot of gatekeeping (pun 100% intended) when it comes to that and I’ve been pretty reserved and tended to shy away from online communities (yet I’ve been silently lurking the CF forums since I was very young) because I don’t have as much to contribute to a conversation as an enthusiast with a wider and larger range of credits.

Ami

Roller Poster
I’m in a similar situation to you Ami! On the autistic spectrum, very intensely interested in rollercoasters and spend a lot of time reading up on them but haven’t had the opportunity to travel much or ride as many as I’d like so my cred count is low. You’re not alone (and your question has made me feel less alone as well)! :)
I am so happy someone else has a similar experience and relationship with roller coasters ☺️ It’s a weird limbo place to be in for me, I often don’t feel like I have anything really valuable to say around enthusiasts, but in the presence of anyone who isn’t an enthusiast, I feel very embarrassed to infodump about my interest

Dressinggown

Roller Poster
I'm a recent Theme Park enthusiast and I am definitely getting on a bit age wise.

I love the coasters but it's the complete park which is the whole experience.

Nothing is scarier than Steeplechase. A World Class ride if you are hoping for an early death.