What's new

What is your favourite traditional (non-RMC or Intamin prefab) wooden coaster?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
GhostRider, i love this thing, its long, forceful, smooth and has some great air. I love how like the Voyage it just keeps on going, you fly through the timbers making it feel so fast. Night rides are great as they have these lights on the walkways that make the coaster look beautiful, its my favourite coaster in the west of the states I've done, it is fantastic and a must do.

Here is how I rank my woodies and RMC for reference:

1: Steel vengeance
2: El Toro SFGA
3: Lightning Rod ( original )
4: GhostRider
5: Voyage
6: Beast
7: Phoenix
8: Ravine Flyer II
9: Twisted Colossus
10: Storm chaser
GhostRider, i love this thing, its long, forceful, smooth and has some great air. I love how like the Voyage it just keeps on going, you fly through the timbers making it feel so fast. Night rides are great as they have these lights on the walkways that make the coaster look beautiful, its my favourite coaster in the west of the states I've done, it is fantastic and a must do.

Here is how I rank my woodies and RMC for reference:

1: Steel vengeance
2: El Toro SFGA
3: Lightning Rod ( original )
4: GhostRider
5: Voyage
6: Beast
7: Phoenix
8: Ravine Flyer II
9: Twisted Colossus
10: Storm chaser
10 Points to Gryffindor on both of these. Arguably some of GCI's best specimen out there.

To interpret the prompt in an entirely different direction - my favorite pre-1980s classic woodie (from an argument stance, wooden coasters definitely built without CAD files): Beast. A genuine "Voyage of it's time", I still have it in a top 50 stance, while the remainder of 70s and 60s woodies curtail the 100s in my personal rankings. While (if I'm honest) very interested to see how the GCI reprofiling affected it's riding experience.

This all being said, and I'll be honest: I love classic woodies. Give me Screamin' Eagle, or the CP Blue Streak any day - I would be a hog in high grass.

ricky coasters

Roller Poster
Any fella whos read through my messages here knows this, my love for Boardwalk Bullet is through the roof, higher than the clouds, stronger than a freight train, ya get the gist of it XD. A wise person once said love is a spice in many tastes, a dizzying array of textures and moments.. and thats basically my love for BB, and lemme say, this is a RELENTLESS and BRUTAL attack on the senses, that phrase about the spice only does it what it deserves when the spice is Carolina Reaper powder, and I LOVE it! There's too much textures and moments on this ride, from the 50 mph trick track double up that leaves you gasping for mercy to the final helix that drains the everything out of you... it's a vicious and savage journey that you will come out shocked of EVERYTIME! Get a night ride, and you will never forget this coaster experience ever in your life!

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Joris en de Draak still for me. I've ridden it countless of times and it's just always such great fun. Fast paced, full of airtime and at night it's just a complete beast. I think in a lot of cases I seem to prefer the smaller snappier coasters over the bigger more drawn out ones.

Ben Hopson

Roller Poster
After my most recent visit to Europa, I'd have to say Wodan is my favorite traditional woodie. I enjoyed it during my rides in 2018 but wasn't blown away by it, however last month it was absolutely flying. Even offride you could see how much it was shredding through the layout, and onride it was incredible. It was smooth while still retaining that 'wooden coaster feel', had extremely strong laterals, powerful airtime, and flawless pacing. Not only is it now my #1 woodie, it's also now my #5 coaster overall!

opivy028

Mega Poster
Voyage is def my number 1, but Cornball Express has a special place in my heart. Buzzbars and some impeccable airtime and laterals, and it was one I got to marathon as a kid multiple times. With my little brother and sister we would go every summer for a few years, and once it was late at the park there would be like no one there so we’d just ride it over and over. Marathon night rides of ejector airtime are always incredibly fun and created some great memories.