What's new

What is your favourite drop tower?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Over the years, drop towers have become a staple of theme parks across the world, but my question to you today is; which one is your favourite?

For me, I'd probably say Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios if it counts. I know the drops aren't the biggest, but they produce a surprising amount of force and the airtime is something else!

If ToT doesn't count, though, I'd probably go for either Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens Tampa, Detonator at Thorpe Park or Apocalypse at Drayton Manor.

But what is your favourite drop tower?

bernatc22

Mega Poster
Hurakan Condor. The views, the height, the theming, the fact that some "gondolas" tilt forwards... It's just very compelling. Only complaint I have is it lacks an Express lane so if it's busy you have no choice but to wait.

Last edited:

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Also Tower of Terror (DLP version) if it counts as a drop tower.
If not, I'd go with Highlander at Hansapark, the height and super tilt function is just bonkers <3

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Ask me again in about 3 weeks, and I shall almost certainly have a definitive answer for you... ;)

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
So Tower of Terror (Orlando) is the clear winner for me. It's the combination of the immersive way the story is bought to life and the surprisingly intense, yet fun drop and launch sequences. I dare say it's pretty much the perfect ride. Detonator gets bonus points for being stupidly intense, and Apocalypse also gets points for making me feel like i'm going to die on the standup side. Going to be controversial here and say what the worst drop tower i've done is... Falcon's Fury. Absolutely hated this ride. The buildup to the drop was outstanding, genuinely had me shaking. Unfortunately the drop was so controlled, that fear disappeared the instant we started dropping... for a drop tower... that's not so good. There's just absolutely zero force, it's a real shame.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I think my favorite one so far is the Larson built Hair Raiser in Luna Park Sydney. A great location and a super forceful drop, even if it isn't one of the tallest ones out there. On a similar note, the tallest one I've done, Giant Drop in Dreamworld was a bit of a disappointment, being a rather forgettable ride altogether.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
My favourite one is quite a werid one, it was the one at isfanbul some reason insanely forceful and while it's not tall it gives great views due to being on a hill, second favourite would be hurakon condor and then insane mini shot tower at bakken

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
It wouldn't be fair to include Tower of Terror, it's just too good.

1. Detonator
2. Apocalypse
3. Hershey Tower
4. Mystery Castle

Overated: Huracan Condor, Falcons Fury

Tikal at Phantasialand. Hilariously good fun, two towers and really nice surroundings.
I've never bothered going on Tikal as it looks like a frog hopper, sound like I'm missing out.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
It wouldn't be fair to include Tower of Terror, it's just too good.

1. Detonator
2. Apocalypse
3. Hershey Tower
4. Mystery Castle

Overated: Huracan Condor, Falcons Fury

I've never bothered going on Tikal as it looks like a frog hopper, sound like I'm missing out.
Yeah, I totally forgot about it, the ride itself would be very weak without the theming but the theming at the top of the castle is brilliant

GregBoxall

Roller Poster
Hi guys. Over the years, drop towers have become a staple of theme parks across the world, but my question to you today is; which one is your favourite?

For me, I'd probably say Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios if it counts. I know the drops aren't the biggest, but they produce a surprising amount of force and the airtime is something else!

If ToT doesn't count, though, I'd probably go for either Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens Tampa, Detonator at Thorpe Park or Apocalypse at Drayton Manor.

But what is your favourite drop tower?
Tower of Terror has great air time as you're pulled down faster than gravity. There's cables both on top and below the ride vehicle controlling the vertical movement. Really awesome ride system invented by Disney!

J Rod

Roller Poster
My first ride on Falcon's Fury scared the living **** out of me, but that was only because of the seat rotation at the top. The drop itself is lackluster so every ride since then has been mediocre. I'll have to go with the majority and say Tower of Terror (Orlando) is my favorite.

thepoweroften

Roller Poster
Not sure about “favourite” since I’m not really a drop tower person but in terms of sticking in my mind, Detonator at Thorpe Park is probably the only ride I’ve been on to this day that left me physically shaking for upward of 10 minutes afterwards. Could only go on Rumba Rapids and the teacups in the hour after because I was recovering from the shock. It doesn’t look much compared to other drop towers but there’s something so uneasy about it and the force of being pushed down instead of just falling feels absolutely insane.

It’s also one of my ‘never again’ rides for the same reason lol although when I say ‘never again’ I usually mean ‘not until someone I’m with asks me to go on it and I want to look tough’.

Matt N

CF Legend
Not sure about “favourite” since I’m not really a drop tower person but in terms of sticking in my mind, Detonator at Thorpe Park is probably the only ride I’ve been on to this day that left me physically shaking for upward of 10 minutes afterwards. Could only go on Rumba Rapids and the teacups in the hour after because I was recovering from the shock. It doesn’t look much compared to other drop towers but there’s something so uneasy about it and the force of being pushed down instead of just falling feels absolutely insane.

It’s also one of my ‘never again’ rides for the same reason lol although when I say ‘never again’ I usually mean ‘not until someone I’m with asks me to go on it and I want to look tough’.
Detonator pulls a staggering 5.5G, so it's hardly surprising you only wanted gentle things afterwards, especially if you're not a drop tower fan!