What's new

What is your favourite Disney Space Mountain?

What is your favourite Disney Space Mountain?

• Space Mountain: Mission 2 DLRParis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Space Mountain WDWR (Florida)

• Space Mountain DLRCalifornia

• Space Mountain TokyoDL

• Space Mountain Hong Kong DL

• Total voters

Ben

CF Legend
Mission 2 is terrrrible. It's just like every other space ride now.

Lune was completely unique and awesome. A totally different take on space, and it was brilliant.

marc

CF Legend
I went on Mission1 just after it opened so did not have the problems you are saying with lights.

Mission2 is just to rough. Neither launch is/was that powerful and both slow down at the top of the hill.

I am happy at the end as the pain is over :)

But even so how can you vote for the best Space Mountain when you have only been on one of them?

spicy

Giga Poster
I have been on the one in Florida and Paris's.

Paris's completely blows Florida's out of the water, theres simply no comparison. Its one of my favourite coasters.

Florida's felt like it belonged in a museum, just felt really old.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
southend_marc said:
But even so how can you vote for the best Space Mountain when you have only been on one of them?

Because I know what type I prefer.

It's like me comparing Stealth to Xcelerator. Though I've only been on one, I know which I'd prefer.

Rush

Giga Poster
^Which out of those two do you prefer?

I'm telling those who haven't ridden California's version not to judge it from POV's or because of the ride type. Being on Paris and California's I can safely say I would choose to ride California's in less than a second.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
^ I honestly think Mission 2 is better than Mission 1.
Mission 2's launch was readjusted to launch from the bottom of the cannon instead of half way, and is far more powerful than Mission 1's launched. Though it's not the best of launches, it certainly is an improvement.

Surely, its going to have to reach the same speed, so De la terre a la lune's launch would be more forceful as it had to reach the same speed in a shorter distance :?

marc

CF Legend
Ok going by ride atmosphere California is very good followed by Orlando then Paris for me.

Enjoyment is Orlando, California and then Paris again.

Both the ones in Orlando and California are unique and original, Paris is just a Vekima in a building and a rough one at that.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
^I didn't find Mission 2 rough at all when riding.
Ditto. In fact I found it rather smooth in comparison to other vekoma's; it does have a few jerks especially in the speedy sections, but it's just a bloody amazing ride!

marc

CF Legend
Mission 1 I found smooth but riding it last year it was rough, more so than the Corkscrew at Alton.

Its a good coaster dont get me wrong, I just prefer the others as they are unique.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've posted already, but tried another one since then. Now the list is:

1.Hong Kong
2.Tokyo
3.Florida (but maybe unfair as it's been years)
4.Paris

I hated Mission 2. It's a rough, painful piece of ****. Plain and simple. The non-Disney Space Mountain at Bangkok Dream World was better even.

Take away the effects, and it's an awful coaster. Include the effects, and it's still crap, since they don't even come close to the effects on the other Mountains. That red tunnel? Wow, what a highlight! Lame!

Like I said, I'm going from a kid's memory of Florida, so it's not really fair of me to include that, but all the others are from very recent memory. Taking it as a stand-alone coaster, it's bad enough, but compare it to the versions at the other parks and it doesn't come close.

clecktown

Roller Poster
I've only ridden the one in Florida, and Mission 2 in Paris (not the original version, though).

Out of the two, I'd have to pick Mission 2, mainly because I like the uphill launch, and while not being smooth, it's not as rough as some people make it out to be.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Mission 2 is no where near as rough as anyone makes it out to be. However, de la terre a la lune was a lot smoother, with better music, and the cannon moved and stuff when launched. Plus, Mission 1 had a more forceful launch.

Martyn B

CF Legend
The roughness on M2 really depends on where you sit, I find its very rough at the front, but I dont really care.

Mission 2 is terrrrible. It's just like every other space ride now.

Lune was completely unique and awesome. A totally different take on space, and it was brilliant.

Ya see, I'm torn, I love them both, but M2 has a proper launch now. Thats the only thing I would have changed about the original. But I agree about it being unique before.

Mission2 is just to rough.

Its silly to say that, because its the same ride as the original, with a differen't theme.

Neither launch is/was that powerful and both slow down at the top of the hill

Yeah, there is a reason for that. The same reason that top hats are taken at a slow pace.

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
Having now done Space Mountain: Mission 2 back in August I can safely say that I really enjoyed it and that it was hardly rough at all. The launch however was weak but I still loved the indoor bit. :) I'll be doing the Florida version next year so I'll be able to compare properly then.

jacoaster

Roller Poster
Space Mountain de la Terre a la Lune was by far my favourite Space Mountain. The wonderful area music, the beautiful dome, the unique story, the emotional soundtrack... it had just so much soul. It was perhaps my second favourite Disney attraction ever.

Mission 2 ripped the soul out of the whole attraction. It is now very rough, has no area music, has a crappy "pop" soundtrack, and the effects inside are nothing unique or special. I could go to DLP, not ride SMM2 and still leave feeling satisfied.

So for now, even though I have never ridden it, I'm going to vote for the Californian version as the best Space Mountain.

Jake

Strata Poster
1) Florida
2) California

Not done Paris or the others yet, although I can't see the one at DLP being better than Florida's just because of the coaster type. California's is fun, but went on forever and didn't ever get better, whereas Florida's has the crazy bits, plus it's 2 creds.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
1) Tokyo
2) Florida
3) California
4) Paris

Tokyo's was excellent. Great theming, fast, and lots of fun. California's was good, but didn't quite have the wow factor of Tokyo's. I've always liked Florida's Space Mountain, and it'll be nice to see what they've done with it after the revamp.

Never got a go on the Paris one with its original theming, but the Mission 2 take didn't do much for me. It came across as a poor gimmick to try and revamp a ride that didn't need a change of image.