What's new

What is your favourite coaster in each RCDB thrill level category?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. RCDB, the rollercoaster database, has 4 different thrill level categories by which it categorises rides; Kiddie, Family, Thrill and Extreme. @Peet made a brilliant thread earlier asking how many you’ve ridden from each category (https://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/extreme-thrill-family-count.44992/), which gave me an idea for a thread; if you’re willing to research, what is your favourite coaster in each RCDB thrill level category?

I’ll get the ball rolling with mine; out of 79 coasters ridden, these are my favourite coasters in each thrill level category on RCDB:
  • Extreme: Mako - SeaWorld Orlando (overall #1)
  • Thrill: Wicker Man - Alton Towers (overall #3)
  • Family: Slinky Dog Dash - Disney’s Hollywood Studios (overall #24)
  • Kiddie: N/A (haven’t ridden any coasters classified as kiddie)
  • Unclassified: Wilde Maus XXL - Travelling (overall #64)
But what are your favourite coasters within each of RCDB’s thrill level categories?

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
EXTREME: LIGHTNING ROD, DOLLYWOOD
THRILL: SPACE MOUNTAIN, MAGIC KINGDOM or DARK KNIGHT, SIX FLAGS GREAT AMERICA
FAMILY: SEVEN DWARFS MINE TRAIN, MAGIC KINGDOM
KIDDIE: N/A
UNCLASSIFIED: WACKY WORM, SOME FAIR IN CHICAGOLAND AREA OF INDIANA

Niles

Giga Poster
Extreme: Steel Vengeance
Thrill: Phoenix - Knoebles

Also really like Gemini and Thunder Mountain in Paris
Family: Fire Chaser Express
My no1 Gerstlauer
Kiddie: Wilderness Run - CP
I think this one is my fav just because I talked my way onto it.
Unclassified: Scenic Railway - Dreamland

Last edited:

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
Extreme - Steel Vengeance
Thrill - Ninja, SFMM
Family - Seven Dwarves Mine Train
Kiddie - Wilderness Run, rode it as Jr. Gemini as a kid and again with my niece

Bjprice

Roller Poster
Extreme: probably i305, but I haven’t tried cedar point yet - was supposed to be this season but they’re closed/limited the days I could go (mon- tues). Side points for outlaw run, lightning rod, and mr freeze at Texas and stl.

Thrill: time traveler - sooooo good. I’m headed to ride it nonstop this weekend.

Family: hard to pick but maybe any of the gerstlauer spinners such as pandemonium. I like family rides where you sit in opposing seats and have that more intimate experience.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Extreme: probably i305, but I haven’t tried cedar point yet - was supposed to be this season but they’re closed/limited the days I could go (mon- tues). Side points for outlaw run, lightning rod, and mr freeze at Texas and stl.

Thrill: time traveler - sooooo good. I’m headed to ride it nonstop this weekend.

Family: hard to pick but maybe any of the gerstlauer spinners such as pandemonium. I like family rides where you sit in opposing seats and have that more intimate experience.
Time Traveler is Extreme and all of the Pandemoniums are Thrill.

Bjprice

Roller Poster
Time Traveler is Extreme and all of the Pandemoniums are Thrill.
I’m obviously taking that measurement system and doing whatever I want with it ;)

I truly view i305 and time traveler and pandemonium as gigantic differences in force and imma just be wrong but stay the course. Heart emoji.

to add: if time traveler needs to be extreme it’s my #1. It’s my #1 above all by a gigantic long shot, after 200+ credits, and thousands of rides on a lot of great designs.

It’s perfect. I’d change nothing, except that it takes me many hours to get to it - restrains are amazing, drop out of loading is amazing, “bong bong bong SCREAM”, multiple spinning launches are amazing, seeing other people happy is amazing. It’s above everything for me. I’ll be in heaven and on it 10x in days and cannnnnnnnnot wait. Third long road trip this year just for this ride.

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Without too much digging (because they seem a bit arbitrary sometimes, as seen here with the woodies):

Extreme - Helix @ Liseberg
Thrill - Timber @ Walibi Rhône-Alpes
Family - Wood Express @ Parc Saint Paul
Kiddie - Timberline Twister @ Knott's Berry Farm
Unclassified - Spaceship 2056 @ New Reoma World

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Extreme - Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point (duh)
Thrill - TRON Lightcycle Power Run, Shanghai Disneyland (only "Thrill" in my Top 20)
Family - Firechaser Express, Dollywood (probably - this is a fantastic coaster and I'm not going to scour the list more thoroughly)

Haven't bothered separating Kiddie out, they're lumped in with Family. Some dubious classifications by RCDB there. I also just give my own classification (generally mostly Thrill) to those without a classification on RCDB. Not quite sure of the logic as to why they don't all have them.

Peet

Giga Poster
Extreme = Hyperion
Thrill = Wild Mouse RIP
Family/Kiddie = I haven't been on any truly great coasters in this category but I'll go with the good 'ol Runaway Mine Train at Towers

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Let's see:

• Extreme - Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
  • Thrill - American Thunder, SF St. Louis
  • Family - Firechaser Express, Dollywood
  • Kiddie - Flight of the Hippogriff, Islands of Adventure

Hutch

Strata Poster
Extreme - Steel Vengeance
Thrill - Phoenix
Family - Wooden Warrior (although I prefer Roar-O-Saurus, for some reason RCDB classifies that as thrill)

Can't really be bothered to figure out my favorite kiddie cred.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Well, that's another column in my spreadsheet then.

Extreme: Taron, Phantasialand
Thrill: Wild Mouse, Luna Park Sydney
Family: Familieachtbaan, BillyBird Park Hemelrijk
Kiddie: Zug des Manitu, Wiener Prater

Will

Strata Poster
Extreme: Katun, Mirabilandia
Thrill: Wild Mouse, Blackpool (or Winjas, Phantasialand if it has to be in operation)
Family: Pegasus, Europa Park
Kiddie: African Big Apple, West Midlands Safari Park
Unknown: Rutschebanen, Bakken