What's new

What do/did Your Parents Think?

When I eventually came to my first live (Oakwood '08) my parents asked me why I hadn't been to one before haha. I've been a member since 2004 (or at least used the site since then) and often talked about it so it took me quite a while to decide to come to a Live.

My parents are quite enthusiastic about theme parks and stuff anyway, they're always interested to hear the latest park news, they wouldn't necessarily go out of their way to get the info themselves though.

i first started meeting people from the internet in seedy locations when I was 13, can't remember my first meet up with another fanboy tho.

Well I went to my first live with previous member and best mate 'Red hot Inferno Chick' (Carla)... So they were perfectly fine with it.

They knew about CF since I couldn't stop rattling my gums about it so they trusted me to go to a meet-up the year after the first live.

I joined in Feb 2004 and first meetup was Feb 2006.

Being 20 I was only concerned about being comfortable myself, my parents didn't have much of a choice, but they know I'm not stupid and wouldn't meet with any Tom, Dick or Harry (just Shockwave, Themeparkphreak and.... damn don't know a Harry...)

They were more concerned I'd been driving under a month and I was hitting the motorways alone :lol:

^Yes, but in 2006 you would have been, if your profile is correct, 10 and I'm sure Pierre had enough trouble in his life when he was 20 without associating himself with ten year olds =p

They were dead set against it and locked me in my room. When they caught me sneaking out of the window they grounded me for a month.

Or

They're not really even aware of it. They know I've been on coaster trips with friends and that I'm involved with some sort of theme park website, but that's about it.

My first Live was the Germany/Denmark trip last summer, which, thinking back, was a bit of a gamble. It could have been awful if people turned out to be a bunch of knobheads, but luckily the whole thing was brilliant.

Looks like I might be able to make it to a Live...

... in 2012. Yay for plans for all summer this year and military service from January 2011 on...

Though, I'll be 21 by then, and my parents probably won't mind, especially seeing as I'll be moving away after that summer. If I had asked to go to a Live now... I probably wouldn't be allowed. After all, I would have to go out of the country.

I can split this up into three sections.

1/ I'm 39 years old,so I'll do as I damn well please.

2/ My dad lives about 30 miles away,so he doesn't give a **** what I do.

3/ I could ask my mum,but I'd either need Derek Acorah,or a Ouijah board to find out.

Seeing as my mum's in Pakistan right now doesn't speak a word of english, I don't think I'll be asking her. Plus I think I may need doctors permmission to drive. :wink:

My Mum isnt too boverd as she likes coasters too. My Dad dosent mind either, so I'm in the all clear.!

I'm not allowed to go. They think CF is geeky and they don't want me meeting up with people off the internet.

I'll get to a live when I start driving in September.

I know I've mentioned this at least a few times before, but I guess it's actually on-topic now; my parents hate it. They hate all the "weird" people on the internet that "I don't know". I think it's ridiculous nonsense and that they all watch too much Law and Order SVU and Fox News, where everyone on the internet is a slimy 40 year old man. But I digress. I think the only thing I have working in my favor is that my parents hate theme parks, hate going to them, complain the entire time that we are there, and would probably be thrilled silly to be able to just let me go off to one with someone else so they could stay home. They just don't trust the people that I'd be willing to go with. :roll:

I wish I had parents that were A) not clinically retarded and B) supportive of my interests, instead of treating me like some excited puppy dog pissing on every fire hydrant I could find. :?

My mum really couldn't give a toss :p She's never really been part of life, taken little interest in my friends, what I enjoy or anything. Ask her to name 3 of my interests, and she'll struggle. But if you asked the same thing about my brother or sister, she'll easily answer. She really doesn't give much **** about me, but I suppose that's what's shaped me.

Relating this back to the topic, I still remember my first live and asking her, and she was fine with it. She didn't ask why I was going, who I was going with or anything...Now I don't live with her, I can do whatever I want so meh. Jo (the person I live with) is rather annoying though, she wants to know where I am ALL THE TIME, even when I only pop up the shop...

I haven't been to a live meet yet, but my mom is indifferent about CF.

Pokemaniac said:
Though, I'll be 21 by then, and my parents probably won't mind, especially seeing as I'll be moving away after that summer. If I had asked to go to a Live now... I probably wouldn't be allowed. After all, I would have to go out of the country.

You're from Norway, thus could go anywhere and find it cheap. I'm jealous!

Erm... I went to my first meet when I was 14, and did my first (unsupervised) foreign trip to Liseberg with Kir when I was 16. Parents didn't care, but they've never been the sort to not let me do stuff. I REALLY can't understand how some 18-20 year olds even let their parents have a say in where they go or what they do... I'd just tell them to fack off!

I was 16 when we were planning a 4 week trip to England, I had joined CF like four months before that, then in May or so I noticed that there would be a CF-Live at Oakwood while we we would be in the UK. My parents didn't have anything against it, which is pretty strange, although understandable because they figured they could see some of Wales while I was in the park (even if they had been there before!). We lived near Farnham (about 40 miles west of London) for a few weeks and made the trip about solely because of me, which I actually did feel a bit guilty about tbh! even if they insisted its totally fine. Well I only saw some of Swansea, hills, the most ****ty roadside "restaurant" ever and some funny road signs, so my picture of Wales isn't that good :lol:

Seeing as my mum is 70 then her words to me would be your big and ugly enough to please yourself, or don't they think your too old.

She actually came to a mini meet at Southend to a New Years Day meet and she thought the ones that came then were great. Peeps, Mushroom Infernus etc.