What's new

What are you reading?

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I wasn't a fan of Prey either. It seems that Crichton writes now with the intention of selling the movie rights to his novels. His books have all read like movie scripts since Jurassic Park.

Ben said:
Cell is so **** , I might have to go and read The Shining to remind myself King can actually write.

Old Stephen King = fantastic
Newer Stephen King = writing for the sake of it

If you haven't read them already, check out Carrie, Misery, Pet Cemetary and Salem's Lot. They piss all over anything he's written in the last ten years.

Ben

CF Legend
^Way ahead of you, and have read all of them :p. Fantastic books.

He really reminds me now of how he was shown on Family Guy (with his story about the lamp?). I know I'm only about half way through Cell, but it makes little sense, doesn't actually have any foreboding, hint of suspense or fear. Still, at least he's still remained just a little homo-erotic :p.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Have you tried Gerald's Game? I found that to be excellent, and quite disturbing actually.

I also thought Delores Claibourne was fantastic, but you may be disappointed by it if you're expecting a horror novel.

You know that lamp story is on its way sooner or later......

I'm on chapter 6 of The Chrysalids now, and now that I'm getting over the initial confusion and the introduction chapters, it is becoming less hard to understand, and it also has an interesting storyline.

I'll let you know what I think of it again once I finish a few more chapters.

Ben

CF Legend
Cell just gets worse and worse and worse.

I hope King never writes again, and just sticks with his old books. I mean, I just got to the cinder block incident, and what the HELL? He obviously just wanted to kill off the character, and couldn't think of another way to do it, so he did it in that completely retarded, random and stupid way. Why couldn't he have killed that stupid burdensome brat Jordan? Or not even written him into the story. It's just stupid, and stinks of being written just to publish another book.

JonSev

Roller Poster
I bought Dreams of My Father by Barack Obama.

Its his memoir that he wrote after he became the first Law Director dean thinger or whatever. It was before he got into politics.

I have to read it for school, so my lit teacher made me do research on it. Apparently he embellished lots of it. I have to write an essay on it at the end, I might end up writing about whether or not he planned on his running for presidency when he wrote the book.

Ben

CF Legend
Having painfully pulled myself to the end of Cell (which was a dire and pointless ending), I've dived into The Stand, which is supposed to be one of King's best.

And, having gone through a mere seventh (200 pages, it's ****ing huge), I have to say, it's easy to see why it's held highly. It's only been scene setting really, for 200 pages, and I'm still not bored. Just the way that King brings in so many stories, and makes them work, is fantastic and keeping me stuck in.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've never read the Stand, but it IS on my list of things to do before I die :lol:

I'm currently re-reading Salems Lot... Was bored waiting for an X-Ray. It's still not very good, even 4th time around :D

mrclam

Giga Poster
*dunno if i've already posted this - and cant be bothered to go look - smile*

I've recently have finished michael chrichtons "prey" ,.. and am now convinced that this is the plot of the tv show "lost".

Then i re-read trainspotting (great book).

Now am trying to get motivation to revise for my psychology exam in 2 weeks.

BetaKitten

Mega Poster
I'm currently reading Plato's ''Republic'', i've been reading it for a while now i just have neglected to pick it up for months as they have been rather hectic months...

It's a sure way to get me to sleep at night anyway, and not because it's as boring as hell..... it's because of the way it's written as a sort of debate, it makes me more tired than i would with a normal story type thing....

It's a very good book anyway, i reccomend it....

Homer

Hyper Poster
SnooSnoo said:
Does CF count? I don't think i've actually READ something in years... poor me.. :lol:
Same here, I can never get into reading myself, which is kind of sad, really...

Startled By His Furry Shorts

It's the 7th in a series of books written by Louise Rennison, which is basically the diary of a girl and everything. They're the most hilarious books I have ever read in my entire life, and I think that even though her writing may not be the most mature and complicated of things, this lady sure knows how to make people laugh.

Great books.

A

Anonymous

I read loads but just recently i've been too tied down with uni work to read anything:(

My fave books tho are:

Junk by Melvin Burgess
A story of 2 teenagers who run away from home and get caught up in a group of heavy drug users. Amazing book, my mum had a mini crash in the car and i didn't even look up i was so into it! lol

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Clause
Of which there is a film out soon which i sooo wana see! Is it out in America yet? anyone form there seen it?

The curious incident of the dog in the night by Mark haddon
So clever this one, a story of an adventure a boy with aspergers syndrome has from his point of view.

and lastly

Philip Pullman Northern Lights series
I'm sure everyone knows about these ones, amazing fantasy series!:)

Yea i could probably go on but i won't bore you too much! haha

If you haven't read them already, check out Carrie, Misery, Pet Cemetary and Salem's Lot. They piss all over anything he's written in the last ten years.

Oh, I read Misery and Carrie. Needless to say, Misery was absoloutely fantastic. The movie was really good, too.

I just finished Startled By His Furry Shorts and let me say, 7 books later and Louise Rennison's book series is still fabulous and going strong. Usually book series get boring after the first few, but no, even after 7, still great. Hilarious, also.

There's going to be another one too! Yay!

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Well, Im currently reading Two Caravans by Marina Lewycka. Aside from the rather boring name, its a fantastic book. Oddly enough, after I started reading it, the news started doing a lot on illegal immigrant/immigrant slavery...

Anyway, funny, well written, and quite moving.

Hmm, what else have I read? 1984; started The Chrysalids, but I lost it; Lady Friday; Small steps; Hey Nostradamus! and This book will save your life...

A hefty list, but I havn't posted in here in a while. I liked all of them/all of what I read, other than perhaps Small Steps... it didn't have the spark that Holes had, IMO.

I'm going to finish the rest of Two Caravans, move onto some King, which you all seem to be whoring at the mo (Im suprised I've not read any of his yet...)

The Titans Curse sounds like fun, I've enjoyed the Percy Jackson series so far, but I'm a sucker for kids fantasy.

There are many others: the rest of the Keys to the Kingdom, the last book of Alison Croggons Pellinor, too... more fantasy. These are probably just a few. Though I'm also getting Slayed to make a list of reading stuff for me XD

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I know! Wasn't she a whiner?

I recently finished a book called "Air Babylon," which I'd never heard of, but picked up in the airport because I had nothing to read on the plane. It's fiction, and the story is crap, but it's all based on interviews and real life airport/airplane situations. To be honest, probably not the best thing to read on a plane, but very interesting.

I'm halfway through Hollywood Wives by Jackie Collins. Total trash, but I'm loving it!