What's new

Well, I never knew that!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm in awe that alton have continued to use an effect consistently... Someone must have to order refilled and fit them, and that's happened consistently for 10th years?

How do you know about the scent canon thing for certain?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:

Because it never smelt like that when it was a tea room? :p

Speaking of which, did you know that there used to be a huge model railway in the entrance to the chapel at Alton.

It was absolutely fantastic, I used to love going to see it when I was a nipper (it was all part of the excitement of running around the towers and going over the drawbridge (did you know you used to be able to cross the "moat"?)).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySAGmpOxwjc[/youtube]

Gazza

Giga Poster
I never knew this, but it turns out there is another 4D Dark ride (Along with Transformers, Spiderman, DarKastle and Speed of Magic and the one at World Joyland

....Tokyo Panic Cruise at Tokyo Dome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WU-1y9xs8E
http://hyperamusement.blog82.fc2.com/blog-entry-15.html

It's the same Oceaneering system as at Busch. Looks pretty quirky and certainly "contextual".
I wish there were more of these attractions though...

http://www.coroflot.com/chiharunrun/Entertainment-Space
120034_ZivNwwV_7R68HVRpKJTYsn46d.jpg

120034_hdSQtKeBr35Y8L1TQRxIJ_vl7.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend
Joey said:
I'm in awe that alton have continued to use an effect consistently... Someone must have to order refilled and fit them, and that's happened consistently for 10th years?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk
It is true, I know they use it for a fact because I've used the scent countless times in the attraction I've designed and worked in. It's the same with Duel, the scent they use in the "Indoor" queue line is also a scent machine.

Mark

Strata Poster
Sorry to drag this up again... and take it with a large grain of salt too...

Screamscape said:
(4/5/12) I’ve heard this rumor countless times before… but a good source claims that Walt Disney World may be taking another long hard look at expanding the resorts iconic Monorail system once again in order to cut back on their reliance on bus transportation and move towards a functional mass transit network that would service all of the theme parks and bigger attractions eventually. Stay tuned.

I've posted it here because I know we were discussing it before. I am wondering where these 'rumours' might be coming from and why it keeps coming back up. As UC explained it, it seemed highly unlikely it would be an option but then why would Disney keep going back to the idea (if they are of course)...

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Venom2053 said:
Disney's Hollywood Studios (original called MGM Studios) opened in 1989 with only 4 attractions and was built to a) try and move some of Hollywoods movie production to florida and b) to compete with Universal Studios that was to open the next year. Many of its attractions were actually rejected rides the were planned to be built in EPCOT (such as The Great Movie Ride and Star Tours).

The Backlot Tour of the park has gotten progressively smaller as the studios have never needed all the sound stages they built for filming (and touring). Disney has since filled these studios with attractions like: Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, and Toy Story Mania. Production of films and TV at the studios were downsized in 1996 and today little to no filming takes place.

There's actually a very interesting read about the Backlot tour, as Universal were planning their own and believe that Disney stole their idea for it (having previously had one in Hollywood too). When Disney released their plans for the studios Universal were mega pissed off, and didn't want to be seen as creating the same thing Disney were, so they changed their plans. This resulted in them building many portions of their backlot tour in Hollywood as seperate attractions (Kongfrontation, Jaws, Earthquake).

They were both built with the intention of bringing filming studios to Florida, but due to a recession in the 80s, the plans were delayed, and eventually cancelled (presumably when they realised the parks were doing fine as solely being tourist attractions).

I've already stated that Universal believed that Disney copied them, but Disney apparently believed that Universal were out of order too, having no right coming into Orlando to 'compete' with Disney (as before, the parks would work more wholesomely together to be Orlando, the toursist destination but for the first time people were making a choice, do we go to Disney Studios or Universal Studios). Since this, we have seen Disney segregate themselves from the Orlando mainland, such as providing their own buses from the airport, creating the Disney Dining Plan so the urge to explore outside of Walt Disney World is lowered, as many propose that the 'conflict' (through want of a better term) between Universal and Disney was the beginning of this approach which Disney now uses.

I hope some people could eleborate on, or possibly correct if neccessary, some of this information.

Anyway, the fact I came to say. I found out the other day that the Big Dipper as Blackpool was the first rollercoaster to be called the Big Dipper. I was quite shocked that I didn't already know that.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I really like this topic & I'm so glad the UC has returned to CF to make it even more worth reading, but repeating the same monorail info over & over again could have been scaled back. (I know you were only trying to get Chris to understand what your point was all along, but most of us got it the first time & those that didn't got it the second, ok bud?)
Back on topic...
I imagine that oriolat2 might be aware of this (& furie since I've already told him).
When my family used to have a vacation flat about 100 kms south of Tarragona, where we spent every holiday for over a decade (about 35+ years ago & long before PortAventura) , the town of Salou itself was a ride/coaster lover's destination due to the almost never-ending fair that were held just behind the wharf row restaurants.
The fair rivaled those of Germany (where we lived) and people would come from as far away as Madrid to ride the rides, but what differentiated it from it's counterparts in my homeland was that each "fair" (I can't remember if it always had the same name or not) would have at least one different coaster to ride. Sometimes every coaster (there were 2-3) was different than the previous fair. Back then in Germany it could take years before you would see a different coaster at the Dom in Hamburg (for example, since it's Germany's only fair that runs multiple times a year). The fairs lasted anywhere from two weeks to two months, but I don't know exactly how long the gap was between the "fairs".
I'm not sure if this is why PA was built in Salou or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. Especially since Salou was actually quite a nice place (which I've heard it isn't anymore :( ).

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Joey said:

They're called Aroma Machines, and it's true. Th13teen has them as well in the drop zone, and Charlie has "Smell Pots" in the Queue Line/Station Area, Chocolate Room and Juicing Room. You can see them on the wall to your left as you stand in the airgates on Charlie, they're silver "pots" located fairly high up on the wall, with a little orange light on the bottom.

meames

Roller Poster
Martyn B said:
The classic Woodie at Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach is actually a relocated wooden coaster! It opened in either France or Germany (can't remember, and can't be arsed to search) in 1928, before opening at Yarmouth in 1932.

It came from Germany - their MD Jimmy Jones told us at an open day a few years ago. It was moved because of increasing tensions in Germany leading up to WW2, and it was secretly shipped over to the UK to stop it being demolished - god bless the people who did it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^God bless them indeed. They could've been spending their time and money saving Jews or something. Thank God they saved a few planks of wood from the Nazis.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
meames said:
Martyn B said:
The classic Woodie at Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach is actually a relocated wooden coaster! It opened in either France or Germany (can't remember, and can't be arsed to search) in 1928, before opening at Yarmouth in 1932.

It came from Germany - their MD Jimmy Jones told us at an open day a few years ago. It was moved because of increasing tensions in Germany leading up to WW2, and it was secretly shipped over to the UK to stop it being demolished - god bless the people who did it.

http://www.pleasure-beach.co.uk/history.html

designed in germany, showed at an exhibition in paris, apparently

meames

Roller Poster
Thats interesting and certainly goes against what was said - I keep a look out constantly for another tour I can attend so will bear this in mind when I go back and ask the question.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Similarly, the old Cyclone/Texas Tornado from Morecambe was designed and built for a show in France and then dismantled and shipped to Morecambe. It used to happen a fair amount.

Nic

Strata Poster
There's a coaster manufacturer based in Tehran, Iran. Well, I say "based," RCDB lists them as "operating" but the most recent cred they list from them was built in 2004. They're called Vafaei Rides and have (according to RCDB) made 5 creds - 4 of which are Rollerskater knock-offs. The 5th is a fairly standard looking figure-8 powered coaster.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Joey said:

Sorry to go back to this again, but here's a little bit of information about Charlie's scent pots.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPQbdNd5oIM[/youtube]

Skip to 1:10 :--D

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
That roller coaster wheels are made of polyurethane - the same stuff that skateboard wheels are usually made of! Interesting :)

metalhead7

Mega Poster
Another Disney Fact

The castle in the magic kingdom at WDW originally featured an elevator leading to living area for disney and his family to stay. Since Disney died before the completion of the park he never got to use this living area.