What's new

Well, I never knew that!

rollermonkey said:
Between you and Ben, I don't know who is worse, but the two combined make this place far less fun than it should be.

Whoa, I must have missed the point where I was involved in this.

The first coaster in Japan was the Wave Coaster at Takarazuka Sin-Onsen Yuenchi. It opened in 1952 and was built by Sansei.

WAVE1.gif

WAVE2.gif

"Scream shields"? (Such as those of the former "Maliboomer" @ Disney California Adventure) - Never even heard of such things until recently.

"It also contained 'Scream Shields', used to block the screams from reaching residents near the ride." - Wikipedia

Scream shields visible as part of the harness/restraint system:

BoomerShields.jpg

ava1enzue1a said:
"Scream shields"? (Such as those of the former "Maliboomer" @ Disney California Adventure) - Never even heard of such things until recently.

"It also contained 'Scream Shields', used to block the screams from reaching residents near the ride." - Wikipedia

Scream shields visible as part of the harness/restraint system:

BoomerShields.jpg

HATED those things. Blech.

How atrocious! They look so vile.

God, must have been awful riding that...

Could you imagine how much spit they'd be covered in if they were at Thorpe? :lol:

And I know most people already know of this, but there will probably be some that don't, but the Ultimate @ Lightwater used to have over the shoulder restraints:

ultosr.jpg

That would have probably been the most painful coaster experience ever!

UGH - To both of the last 2 facts. Those scream shields are absolutely horrible, it makes you laugh though, the sound of the actual tower's air mechanism is a lot louder than people's screams.

I did NOT know about The Ultimate having OTSRs and thought of it sickens me slightly... :lol:

I look at that photo and all I can think about is how busy A&E must have been that night...

They added those scream shield things to the gyro swing at Lotte World a few years ago. I'm not sure if they're still there, but they pretty much ruined an otherwise fantastic ride. **** ing awful things.

This one has come from Adventure World in Warsaw, they posted this fact on their Facebook Page:

"Some people say: “devil is in the details”. They may be right. Brilliant example for these words can be the trashcans in Disney World Orlando (USA), which are situated every 27 steps. This distance was a result of an experiment, which aim was to find out what distance will the guest walk until he drops litter on the ground. Would you even think that such details must be included in the park’s design?"

So precise, probably not true...

'Scream shields'? Never heard of them until today! :p

Hmm... they look bloody hideous and I would feel a bit claustrophobic riding a ride with them installed. It's good that they prevent noise pollution, but they desperately need to be redesigned to fix the above problems.

Another good one at WDW is that some trashcans that are known to be high use are emptied straight down into the utilidors. (underground utility corridors)