What's new

War amputee killed in fall from Ride of Steel

Obviously I don't blame the guy who died but if I had no legs, I wouldn't be riding a roller coaster. And then the park clearly had a major lapse of judgement when they even let him on the coaster. I can't say I'm surprised that someone fell out that had no legs, but it's still sad especially since he had two kids and cheated death a few times before!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^How can you not blame the guy? He was a **** moron for getting on the coaster. End of.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Hixee, I don't think it's his fault. If he asked if it was safe and ride staff said yes, for example, then why would he question them?

Nic

Strata Poster
According to a video/article I saw today, he was offered a pamphlet about disabled access at the park and said he's "already got one". Although, I also heard that the park staff didn't in any way question him getting on the ride. Who knows?!

Darren B

Giga Poster
Forgive me if im speaking out of place here but im putting some of the facts together that have been released..... And am i the only one who is thinking that it could of potentially been a suicide ride? This is a guy who has spent his adult life in the forces, constantly pushing his mental and body strenght to the limit, facing the possibillity of death at any point and now due to his injuries he is unable to live his life the way he had wished. He may have suffered severe depression in the aftermath of his time serving his country, He may have felt that being bound in a wheelchair for the remainder of his life was unthinkable, hell who knows what this guy was thinking, but ultimatly was he thinking "im going to push myself to the limits once more and what will be will be!?"

Yes this may be severe speculation on my behalf but with the facts the way they are i thought i might just throw this out there.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Joey said:
Hixee, I don't think it's his fault. If he asked if it was safe and ride staff said yes, for example, then why would he question them?
True, maybe I was a bit... strong, but I still think there should have been alarm bells ringing in his head. t just seems really daft that it wouldn't have occurred to him, regardless of whether or not the park/ride-ops said it was safe.

DarrenBloomfield said:
Forgive me if im speaking out of place here but im putting some of the facts together that have been released..... And am i the only one who is thinking that it could of potentially been a suicide ride? This is a guy who has spent his adult life in the forces, constantly pushing his mental and body strenght to the limit, facing the possibillity of death at any point and now due to his injuries he is unable to live his life the way he had wished. He may have suffered severe depression in the aftermath of his time serving his country, He may have felt that being bound in a wheelchair for the remainder of his life was unthinkable, hell who knows what this guy was thinking, but ultimatly was he thinking "im going to push myself to the limits once more and what will be will be!?"

Yes this may be severe speculation on my behalf but with the facts the way they are i thought i might just throw this out there.
I'm not sold. I can see where you're coming from, but I'd have thought he would've been a bit more caring about other people's feelings. I mean, sure, it's just killing yourself, but doing it like this is very public and I don't somehow think it's likely.

MrCobyChan

Roller Poster
So why let someone with no legs ride it? its extremely easy for them to fall out, TBH I Think it is the ride ops fault for letting him on IMO.

Darren B

Giga Poster
GoNinty said:
Yeah, weird phobia xD Hahahaha lol... puns. Btw, my gramamr is actually really good in real life, its just I was typing that, and it was really long, and using all the proper grammar would've tooken a long time ;P

If you're grammer is good in 'real life' then i would recommend using it on this site aswel, remember other CFers have to read your posts. A far as your comments go, we can only surmise right now but in time im sure all the pieces will fit together, im actually really intregued as to what 'actually' happened.

jayjay

Giga Poster
DarrenBloomfield said:
GoNinty said:
Yeah, weird phobia xD Hahahaha lol... puns. Btw, my gramamr is actually really good in real life, its just I was typing that, and it was really long, and using all the proper grammar would've tooken a long time ;P

If you're grammer is good in 'real life' then i would recommend using it on this site aswel, remember other CFers have to read your posts. A far as your comments go, we can only surmise right now but in time im sure all the pieces will fit together, im actually really intregued as to what 'actually' happened.

Important internet guideline: if you post something criticising another's grammar/spelling etc. make sure yours is good, because it will be meticulously pulled apart by pedants like me.

Wow, so a man without a lap got on a coaster and expected to be held in by a lap bar. Not sure whether I'd put the blame more on him or the operators, but still... I'm willing to believe the suicide story just so I don't have to think that anyone really is that stupid.

lakeccrunner

Mega Poster
I would hope that it wasn't a suicide, especially since he was sitting next to his cousin. Usually people who commit suicide don't do it in front of other people, they don't want to traumatize others around them, they just want to end it for themselves. They do it, and have other people find them later. But that's not the way it occurs everytime, just the majority of the cases. Either way it would be a traumatic and horrible experience, but that isn't the intention of the person.

If anything, I could see it being an assisted suicide. Seeing as the family isn't blaming the ride ops, when it's clear that they screwed up by letting him on the ride. Americans sue people/companies everyday for offenses of much lesser magnitude than that.

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah Erol.. stop being a wannabe mod.. only us blue dudes can do that. :p

If you guys have a problem with it, simply report it. We don't miss em.. trust me. As for GoNinty.. he's fine. Not everyone can have perfect grammar, especially someone new to the grind of CF.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah funny how that "we're just happy he died doing something he loved" line disappears when the lawyers come knocking on your door and waving numbers under your nose.

Nic

Strata Poster
Their general manager's surname is Thorpe. No wonder they're having a crap time of it. hahaha

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
From my experience, a chain snapping is a regular occurrence and it SHOULDN'T take long to fix at all. Usually half a days worth of work. I can't understand why this is taking the rest of the year?